Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 11:43 PM

6 posts, read 47,148 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I was wondering if parking near this area was safe late at night? Was hoping to be able to park there on weekends for easy access to the city. Would I need to worry about my car getting broken into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 08:11 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Face it: you'd need to worry about your car being broken into in any neighborhood! But that particular area is Riverdale, just off the Manhattan College campus, and shouldn't be bad.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:59 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times
Oh puh-lease! Like Fred said, you have to worry about your car being broken into in any neighborhood. However, in that area the chances are so unlikely. Its a very sage and beautiful neighborhood.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:51 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Part of it depends upon where you park in that area. Personally, I would not park on Van Cortlandt on either side of the road, since by the park there can be people who congregate there after dark and on the other side, the apartments and such make for congestion. I would not park on side streets east of Broadway, either. I would definitely look either to Broadway, though something on the side street immediately west would be better, though it can be a challenge to find parking in that area.

And, yes, you do need to be as careful as you would on any street in the city, though the likelihood of anything happening is not as significant. There's a reason why spaces near stair streets and some of the parks that have stairs that go through them are vacant, up the hill, in Riverdale, and it's because of a higher propensity for acts of vandalism, etc. where the parks and stair streets are used as a cover for such activities.

Do you drive an especially nice or rare vehicle? If so, there is a lot on Broadway & 230th that recently reopened, and their rates are pretty reasonable. And, there is a garage on Exterior at 230th & Broadway, and others in Inwood, that are a bit more secure than the street and offer proximity to the subway without higher Manhattan parking rates.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-12-2010, 05:45 PM

6 posts, read 47,148 times
Hey Guys, thanks for all the replies.

BMWguy...naa unfortunately not as lucky as you to drive a nice car. just a new one that I like as its the first time in my life I've had a new car of my liking (its a toyota..nothing special). I would just like to do without the hassle of anything happening to it..you know how it is...you get something new and you go through a period of babying it. Anyway, I definitely appreciate the advice and the heads up about that garage!

I kinda figured I needed to worry about my car being broken into in ANY neighborhood, however I was just curious as to whether it stood a greater chance of happening in said area.

Thanks again.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:45 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
If you really wanted easy access to the city, you'd be using the subway. I think all you want is an excuse to drive your new car, though.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:06 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnile View Post
BMWguy...naa unfortunately not as lucky as you to drive a nice car. just a new one that I like as its the first time in my life I've had a new car of my liking (its a toyota..nothing special). I would just like to do without the hassle of anything happening to it..you know how it is...you get something new and you go through a period of babying it. Anyway, I definitely appreciate the advice and the heads up about that garage!
You're welcome. And, I understand completely with regard to car condition, and keeping a car looking good, no matter the brand. Another option, in case parking is limited at 242nd, and you don't want to get a garage would be to park on Johnson. There's usually parking available, and it's not a bad area, and it's best to be as close as possible to the larger buildings in Spuyten Duyvil. It's a bit of a walk to the subway, however, but you can catch the bus from Kappock & Johnson and then transfer to the subway at the 231st Street Station.

From W242nd, you would follow Broadway, make a right on W231st, and follow it to the end, a park will be in front of you. Make a left and then bear right at the triangle after the park (opposite a gas station and a school in front). This will be Irwin Avenue, which changes to Johnson about a block up the hill. Continue straight to park along the right, since there's only parking on this side of the road. Kappock is at the top of the hill, so you would walk to the top, cross Kappock and the bus stop is in front of a smaller beige brick co-op. Alternatively, you could walk down the hill to the subway.

You could catch the bus down the hill, too, but if you walk far enough to get the bus, you're practically at the subway, and would get there faster by continuing to walk. You would want the Bx10 bus, and it might not make a difference when you're headed out, but coming back, it's easier to catch the bus than deal with the hill, which can be a tad quiet late at night/early morning.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-14-2010, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 11,767 times
Default garage?

Hi, I'm moving to the Bronx soon, and will be living around Manhattan College Parkway near 242nd and Broadway. I'll be needing a car for work, so was wondering if there are any garages in the area to park? I saw one that is near the 242nd st. subway station, but that one was one for Manhattan College people. Is this area generally safe in terms of street parking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City