U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:12 AM

4 posts, read 9,063 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are looking to visit New York next Christmas and New Year, neither of us have been before so it will be a new experience. We are looking at renting an apartment for the 10 days we are over to get the "True New York" feel as oppose to staying in a hotel.
Ideally we wanted to stay in Greenwich village but we haven't managed to come across any nice apartments. We have found one in Chelsea with fantastic views and is within our budget.
Can anyone tell us anything about Chelsea....? what is it like as a neighbourhood? what is it like to live/stay there? are there any bars/pubs in the area? I have read that there are many art galleries in the area but that is about all i know.
Also it would be helpful if anyoen could tell us how much an average drink would be? i know there is no such thing as average so maybe a pint of beer/ glass of wine in an average pub/bar...nothing fancy but then not a scruffy place!
Thanks in advance for your help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 06:21 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,534,568 times
Lots of people love Chelsea, but I'm not one of them. Hip area, lots of restaurants, gay scene but it's not to everyone's taste.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:38 AM

4,472 posts, read 9,303,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick&Mel View Post
Hi, we are looking to visit New York next Christmas and New Year, neither of us have been before so it will be a new experience. We are looking at renting an apartment for the 10 days we are over to get the "True New York" feel as oppose to staying in a hotel.
Ideally we wanted to stay in Greenwich village but we haven't managed to come across any nice apartments.
So are you just subletting someone's place? I think its so strange that they already have next christmas's sublets up. I don't even know what I'm doing tomorrow let alone a year from now.

Quote:
We have found one in Chelsea with fantastic views and is within our budget.
Can anyone tell us anything about Chelsea....? what is it like as a neighbourhood? what is it like to live/stay there? are there any bars/pubs in the area? I have read that there are many art galleries in the area but that is about all i know.
I live in Chelsea. It all depends on the area you are staying in really. I personally would never want to live west of 9th Ave. Also there are Fulton Houses by 18th st(?) and I looked at an apartment near there and when my parents asked if it was safe to live near them the realtor said "Well in NYC al places aren't safe at one time or another". Which is weird. Although I almost never see anyone outside of them when I ride by in a cab or walk by in the day. I think they are ok, or at least better than most projects.

Maybe I'm biased since I live there but 8th ave is a nice area. However it's a very gay area. I don't know what your comfort zone is but you will see guys kiss eachother and, hold hands and stuff. Between 19th and 21st there are many gay "video stores".

10th & 27th/28th is "club roe" where there are a bunch of clubs. Most aren't too pretentious meaning you can stand in line and pay your cover and get in. I've had some fun times over there. There is also Bleecker street in the West Village which is fun. Remember you aren't just confined to you neighborhood you can venture out.

Quote:
Also it would be helpful if anyoen could tell us how much an average drink would be? i know there is no such thing as average so maybe a pint of beer/ glass of wine in an average pub/bar...nothing fancy but then not a scruffy place!
Thanks in advance for your help

um $5-$15 depending on the bar.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 AM

6,966 posts, read 19,425,713 times
Quote:
Can anyone tell us anything about Chelsea....? what is it like as a neighbourhood?
best.neighborhood.ever! its close to parks, bars, clubs, restaurants etc.. and walking distance to the village, soho, union square, grammercy & madison square garden. west of 9th doesn't really have much, but if you can find a clean affordable place to stay, i'd take it. and you can check out the chelsea pier.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:35 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,702,342 times
It's a very convenient location with great subway options. It's one of the very few neighborhoods that has both uptown/downtown and cross-town trains. If you don't like what's in the neighborhood it's very easy to get somewhere else.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM

403 posts, read 1,328,632 times
Chelsea is fantastic. I love the low teens just north of meatpacking along 9th and 10th aves. W20th and 10th is amazing. Very hip and cool. near the new high line park. A lot of great cafe's. this area is considered the gay area, although I can't see why this is an issue. It is mainly concetnrated around the 8th ave and W 23rd st area. What are the cross streets of the apt? I can give you a better idea with that info.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:27 PM

i have emailed the owner so will keep you posted as son as i know. thanks for your help

Old 01-14-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
What are the cross streets of the apt? I can give you a better idea with that info.

it's in the west 20's between 6th Ave and Broadway. is this any help? Thanks

Old 01-14-2010, 08:42 AM

6,966 posts, read 19,425,713 times
^^ that area is awesome. gotta be pricey as hell though..

Old 01-14-2010, 08:54 AM

4,472 posts, read 9,303,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick&Mel View Post
it's in the west 20's between 6th Ave and Broadway. is this any help? Thanks

The lower 20's are more "homey" than the upper 20's. I personally wouldnt LIVE about 23rd but thats just me. And living and vacationing are diffrent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City