Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:45 AM

7 posts, read 18,707 times

Advertisements

If things don't work out, I can always move back. My mom certainly wouldn't mind paying for a plane ticket back home. And you all are right, I might move there and may get tired of it by the next month. But I never said I intended to live there forever. I might decide to stay there for 3 months and move back. I don't know at this point. A lot of things can happen that may either make me decide to stay or leave. IDK. And I WON'T know UNLESS I actually go for it. And to the person who said I have plenty of time sense I'm only 21... Lol... I may have a kid in the next 2 or 3 years. Anything could happen. Just bcus I'm young doesn't mean I'm guaranteed to be here tomorrow either... Anyway, I've looked on craigslist for roommates already. And from what I've seen, there are many ppl leasing rooms for $600. Money is also a huge concern for me (I won't lie). But as of right now, I'm more afraid of just going there by myself, especially living with a stranger. Like I said, if things don't work out, my mother would be more than willing to buy me a plane ticket back home (lol). With that being said, ending up homeless in New York is the least of my concern. The only way that would happen is if I CHOSE to let it happen (which I wouldn't!). But I still appreciate all of the comments!

Last edited by hope1218; 01-18-2010 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I agree. In some other cities, if you are willing to live with a bunch of roommates, you can get a room for $400 a month or less. Even in Philly, which is only 2 hours from NYC, you could rent a room for $400. In Pittsburgh, you might even get one for $300.

In NYC, that's not going to happen.

If you are making minimum wage, it's a lot easier to pay $400 rent a month than $700.

You might take a look at various cities on craigslist and see what the housing and transportation costs look like, and narrow down from there. Or use this great CD forum to check other cities' cost of living threads.
I was actually considering Philly (sense it's cheaper and pretty close to NY). But then I changed my mind, bcus that's not where I wanna be. And as for as renting a room for $300-$400 in philly, I think that only applies to students (at Temple Univ.). Most ppl wanted AT LEAST $600. Most ppl don't even bother looking for roommates if they're only paying $600/month in rent. Would you be looking for a roommate if your rent was THAT cheap? I highly doubt it.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:38 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,247 times
I found my current roommates on Craigslist and have been living with them for 5 months. It's been great, and I really would not like to move.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Not everyone who can't afford $600 a month is advertising on craigslist.

Plus I took a quick look at the Philly craigslist roommates/shares board, typed in a search of $300 to $500 a month. There were 1000 results returned so I don't think your theory is correct.
You know, I just checked craigslist for $300-$500 rooms in NY. They do exist! (I only checked for $500-$700 rooms). But I'm not sure I'd trust someone leasing a room out for $300, though (lol). Just doesn't seem right.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:13 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope1218 View Post
You know, I just checked craigslist for $300-$500 rooms in NY. They do exist! (I only checked for $500-$700 rooms). But I'm not sure I'd trust someone leasing a room out for $300, though (lol). Just doesn't seem right.

Maybe they are a student who can only afford that much? You realize that someone renting a room out for $300 in Philly is like someone renting out a room for $600 in NYC....

Your best bet will be to live with a student since you will be working obscure hours in retail or restaurant. An established professional will be skeptical to live with someone without a steady job...

Old 01-18-2010, 06:28 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
I agree - I really wonder about those $300 / mo rooms in NYC. But $500 and even $450 sounds plausible, especially if the room is tiny and further out in one of the outer boroughs. If you have good gut instincts you should be able to sort the good ones from the bad by the language in the ad, photos, speaking to the lease-holder or owner on the phone, etc. It also helps to do all the research you can (as you are) before getting here -- with resources like google maps including street view, City Data, the mta.info site's trip planner and others like hopstop, and wikipedia, you could have a pretty good sense of what neighborhoods you want to focus your search in before you get here.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:18 AM

6 posts, read 7,801 times
Quote:
I'm a 21 yr old single female wanting to move to NY (from down south). I'm not sure how to go about moving there, so I was hoping to get some advice. I was thinking about searching for a roommate (on craigslist or roommates.com) to move in with. But this girl I work with (she's from NY) says it's a bad idea to move in with a stranger because there's a lot of "weird" and "crazy" ppl in NY? In other words, I shouldn't trust anyone there?... She says it's better for me to move there with someone I know, and get my own apt. Or don't move there at all! Problem is, I don't know anyone in NY, nor do I know of anyone who's willing to move there with me. I would never be able to afford the rent (deposit etc.) all by myself, so moving there and getting my own place is kinda out of the question. The thought of moving 1,000s of miles away from my home, in a place where I know no one is really daunting, lol. But I feel like I really need to do this. I'm not married, nor do I have kids, so I feel like this is the perfect time in my life.

I was just curious as to how many ppl have actually moved there with a roommate they met online. Is it really a bad idea? Or is my co-worker exaggerating?

IDK, I guess I'm so nervous about moving there all by myself, I just want to hear other ppl's opinions (even though I know what I already think). My family think it's a TERRIBLE idea, lol (mainly my parents, tho). But that's completely understandable. I'm a tiny female who's been sheltered most of my life. If it were up to them, they'd keep me in a bubble (for the rest of my life) so nothing could ever happen to me.
Hello there I have a nice place here in Brooklyn
if you still want to come to new york and start a career.
I am italian I am 47

Last edited by richard Bocchiano; 01-27-2012 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: to add

Old 01-27-2012, 08:25 AM

it takes a special person to make a change here
but if you make it here you stand a better chance of making it
you have to have it in your belly to change and suceed

Old 01-27-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I'm a 21 yr old single female wanting to move to NY (from down south). I'm not sure how to go about moving there, so I was hoping to get some advice. I was thinking about searching for a roommate (on craigslist or roommates.com) to move in with. But this girl I work with (she's from NY) says it's a bad idea to move in with a stranger because there's a lot of "weird" and "crazy" ppl in NY? In other words, I shouldn't trust anyone there?... She says it's better for me to move there with someone I know, and get my own apt. Or don't move there at all! Problem is, I don't know anyone in NY, nor do I know of anyone who's willing to move there with me. I would never be able to afford the rent (deposit etc.) all by myself, so moving there and getting my own place is kinda out of the question. The thought of moving 1,000s of miles away from my home, in a place where I know no one is really daunting, lol. But I feel like I really need to do this. I'm not married, nor do I have kids, so I feel like this is the perfect time in my life.

I was just curious as to how many ppl have actually moved there with a roommate they met online. Is it really a bad idea? Or is my co-worker exaggerating?

IDK, I guess I'm so nervous about moving there all by myself, I just want to hear other ppl's opinions (even though I know what I already think). My family think it's a TERRIBLE idea, lol (mainly my parents, tho). But that's completely understandable. I'm a tiny female who's been sheltered most of my life. If it were up to them, they'd keep me in a bubble (for the rest of my life) so nothing could ever happen to me.
My nameis Richard Bocchiano
Tel 718 444 6524 daytime

Old 01-27-2012, 08:37 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
NYC is a very over-rated city IMO. I've lived here for 15+ yrs and I gotta tell you, it's not the glamorous, if-you-can-make-it-in-NY-you-can-make-it-anywhere type of thing that Jay Z or Sinatra portray in their songs.
NYC is a great place to be if you're a lawyer, broker, financier, or a businessman.
The city is expensive, crowded and very fast-paced. Also, unless you have an advanced degree your job market will be limited to lower paying jobs, which will make the whole experience even more disappointing. Sorry to sound discrouraging but that's what I would tell anyone wanting to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City