Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 07:11 PM

7 posts, read 33,575 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be living in NYC and doing a reverse commute up to Westchester. My options are:

1) Live in the UWS and drive, (pay $550/month on a garage)

2) Live somewhere that is not too far from grand central station for the reverse commute, so I could add that $550 to my rent budget.

Does anyone have any suggestions for #2? If it involves a subway ride, it would need to be pretty short.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 07:34 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
I am trying to understand your question. You would like neighborhood suggestions for areas that are easily accessible to Grand Central Station?

If this is your question, what is your budget for the apartment? And how long of a subway ride are you willing to tolerate (for example, would you consider living in Long Island City, which is a 5 minute ride on the 7 train, or in Sunnyside, which is a 12 minute ride? to Grand Central)?

Old 01-24-2010, 08:49 PM

7 posts, read 33,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I am trying to understand your question. You would like neighborhood suggestions for areas that are easily accessible to Grand Central Station?
Yes, that is my question!

I'm looking to spend $2500ish (maybe up to $2800). I think anything more than about 5-10 mins to get to Grand Central would hitting my limit.

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2010, 08:54 PM

13 posts, read 36,333 times
I am assuming you are looking for a one bedroom. Murray Hill offers some nice apartments in your price range if you are interested in living in that area. It is walkable to Grand Central and has some neighborhood appeal, but 3rd ave establishments generally cater to a post college crowd. If you are willing to hop the subway then you could consider something further downtown in the Gramercy/Union square area, however, your options will be more limited in that price range.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:13 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
You can live anywhere on the East Side of Manhattan south of 125th Street. You'll probably want to stay between Madison Ave and 3rd Aves to minimize your walking time to the subway.

You can catch the Metro North trains at 125th Street, too. (Not just Grand Central). You would just transfer from the 4-5-6 train to Metro North. I haven't done it in a while, but if my memory serves me, it's about a 1 block walk between the two lines at 125th.

Not knowing your age/lifestyle/ etc it's hardto suggest a specific neighborhood as someone who would like the East Village would probably not like the Upper East Side.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:37 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
You might like Tudor City or Kips Bay, which should work with your rental budget. You could walk to Grand Central from most of the area in about 10-15 minutes.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-25-2010, 10:35 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
You might do a little "outside the box" thinking and consider a neighborhood like Woodlawn, basically a hidden gem up at the northern end of The Bronx. Then you'd be just below the Westchester line, and you could probably get a bus.

Suggestion rescinded if you're one of those people who believes it has to be Manhattan or nothing.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:08 AM

214 posts, read 1,005,103 times
Where in Westchester are you commuting to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City