Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:20 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'm curious to know why "suburban bred" students would choose Harlem, of all the neighborhoods in New York? You're certainly going to find it an eye-opening experience--and I may be pretty guilty of understatement when I say that.
Because it is more affordable than other neighborhoods in Manhattan.

OP - That doesn't sound like a great street to me. Lenox wasn't exactly the safest spot, and I'm sure gentrification didn't change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 05:12 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
exactly.....and we've agreed on this point before - harlem has good and bad blocks.....i dont think 129th and lenox is one of the more desirable ones....if i was moving to harlem, i would choose either riverside drive or anywhere along broadway or amsterdam, or madison ave or fifth ave south of 125th...i know there's other pockets, but to me those are the biggest ones, after that it would be broken down by a block-to-block basis.
And that's the problem... "good and bad blocks". Unless you're taking a Sikorski from work to home, you're going to have to walk through/past those "bad blocks" in order to get to your home. The OP says she'll be coming home at night. I don't believe she'd be safe in that area.

It's easy for people who don't live in Harlem to say "there's good and bad". You really don't know unless you've lived or worked there. I've worked there and I'll tell you, I wouldn't recommend living there to anyone.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:35 AM

508 posts, read 2,119,746 times
Omigawd, there are good and bad blocks of most any neighborhood in the city and especially in Manhattan. This is both Uptown and Downtown. So let's not generalize Harlem and say that it's only Harlem. There are blocks of the LES, East Village and Midtown West and Wash Hts/Inwood (to name only a few areas) that also have sketchy blocks and really cool gorgeous blocks as well. Harlem is the same.

To the OP: 129th and Lenox has some new developments but this block has always been sketchy. On Lenox, I would live well below 125th St, as close to 110-116 as possible.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:24 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
And that's the problem... "good and bad blocks". Unless you're taking a Sikorski from work to home, you're going to have to walk through/past those "bad blocks" in order to get to your home. The OP says she'll be coming home at night. I don't believe she'd be safe in that area.

It's easy for people who don't live in Harlem to say "there's good and bad". You really don't know unless you've lived or worked there. I've worked there and I'll tell you, I wouldn't recommend living there to anyone.
there are parts of harlem where it is possible to avoid walking down a bad block if you live there...i'm just saying that the particular one the OP inquired about isnt good.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-26-2010, 12:12 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
For years there was a church being built on that corner that just never got off the ground, now the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints aka Mormans have built what appears from the outside to be a beautiful temple on that site.

The area seems to be coming along. I have no idea how it is late at night, I have only been in the area during business hours.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 15,273 times
Thanks everybody!!

Old 01-28-2010, 03:24 PM

283 posts, read 521,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post

Didn't you say you worked in East harlem? That's technically not even the same neighborhood. This is like that Jamaica thread all over.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:49 PM

20 posts, read 57,203 times
Lenox to Morningside, 110-125, are all reasonably good. There are always blocks here and there that are a bit sketchy, but it's easy enough to avoid them late at night. And during the day...it's all fine in that lower west part. Have been here for 2 years, on 118th and now moving to 114th, with zero problems. (30-something Caucasian woman with a young child.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City