Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:47 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times

Advertisements

Buying people out of apartments has been going on for years, unfortunately. It is what it is. The problem I have with this poster is that she is the one that wants to move out and buy a place whereever. Why does she think she should get a buyout in that case? Landlords offer a buyout when Landlord's want a Tenant to move...NOT vice versa! If a Tenant wants to move of their own free will, why should they ask for a buyout? Why do they feel they should hit the Landlord up for money?

The Landlord offered the buyout last year when you did not want to move, which is why he was compensating you, but you declined. Now you want to move, and want last year's offer? Why should he give you this buyout if you are already moving or want to leave! You want your cake and eat it too, and cheating the system, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. It is an abuse and one of the many reasons why people do not like the rent stabilization/control system.

And specifically to address It'sAutomatic...do you think we are better off as a society full of people ONLY doing what's best for themselves, regardless of how it impacts family, friends, neighbors, community, etc? This poster is abusing a system that was not meant to extort money from Landlords, and that is exactly what he/she is doing. I suppose that when YOU are extorted for cash, robbed, or falsely accussed of a crime, you will simply say "oh well, they are doing what's best for them."

Old 02-02-2010, 12:15 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
He's only doing what is smart for him. It's the same thing with welfare.... I am 100% against subsidized housing for working-age people, but I can't fault the people who live in it, since they applied for something that was set up by someone else specifically to be in their interests. Call up your legislator if you have a problem with rent stabilization.
Yes, I agree. Call your state senator to change the sick rent system.
To the OP I would recommend being honest, but remember that you don't own the apartment.
And they call LANDLORDS greedy!

Last edited by lamontnow; 02-02-2010 at 12:27 PM..

Old 02-02-2010, 10:00 PM

32 posts, read 69,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
He's only doing what is smart for him.
Yup.
Why should I NOT look for the money they OFFERED?
AGAIN...
They approached ME!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:59 PM

194 posts, read 300,190 times
LAST YEAR. you declined.

AND now you want him to pay you money because you got to live in a manhattan apartment for $800 a month ?!?!?!?!?

Old 02-03-2010, 02:41 AM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
its human nature for most to get something for nothing....

the fact is if you werent thinking of leaving the offer is an incentive to move on and free up the apartment but to pay higher rent elsewhere so its kind of compensation for the hardship of leaving..

the moral thing to do and correct thing to do is if your moving on your own is thank the landlord for years of below market rent and not hit him up for even more extra money claiming in effect its for the hardship of leaving when its not. your leaving because you want to. its kind of like quitting your job and trying to collect un-employment ,.

but alas human nature being what it is the moral thing would never fly.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:28 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
Remington..clearly you will justify the extortion no matter..because at the end of the day, you want to get paid for something you do not deserve or earn. LAST YEAR the Landlord asked you to move, and offered you compensation as an incentive. You REJECTED that offer. This year, YOU want to move..and somehow believe that you should get paid? He offered you the money when HE wanted you to move..which is why the money was offered...it was an inconvenience to you b/c theoretically, you did not want to move. However, now that YOU want to move, why do you need an incentive or buyout? You are not understanding why a Lanldord buys tenants out of their lease..or you do, and just don't care and want to extort him for money.

You can try to rationalize it as much as you want..it is extortion, deceptive, and an abuse of the rent control/stabilization system.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Interesting that this has turned into a moral argument.

Here's a similar hypothetical situation:

You've been at your job for 10 years. You are thinking about moving to another state, talking to your spouse about it. On Monday you are 90% sure you are going to give notice at your job. Tuesday you've made up your mind and decide you'll give notice on Friday. On Wednesday your employer tells you you are being laid off, and to compensate you, you will get a severance package. The benefits work out to $30,000 payout and significantly reduced COBRA payments to continue health coverage for a year.

Do you say, How coindicental! I was about to give notice on Friday anyway, so I really don't deserve any of the money or the benefits! But thanks anyway!

If the argument is that the OP doesn't deserve the money because the offer is only good when the landlord is the one asking, for me that doesn't fly.

If you want to make the argument that the OP has already been subsidized for many years because of rent stabilization, well, that may be a more interesting argument.

However, tenants in rent stabilized properties sometimes are forced to accept sub-standard living conditions because landlords are trying to make them so miserable that they will leave on their own accord so it's possible that "subsidized" rent was really only what the unit was worth in the first place because of miserable maintenance or security or some other problem.

I really don't know enough about the situation to make moral judgments on the OP. I personally think if the landlord will still offer the payout, the OP should take it.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:41 PM

You could argue its not the same thing being layed off as you worked all those years and earned that severance package as part of your employment whether you were going to leave or not.... any benefit a job is willing to reward you with is something you are entitled to.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:42 PM

55 posts, read 255,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington22 View Post
Yup.
Why should I NOT look for the money they OFFERED?
AGAIN...
They approached ME!
I don't understand why people are getting so worked up about something that would naturally happen under conditions that were set up by the government decades ago - this is normal market behavior(due to gov't distorting the markets).

Remington22 - if I were you, I would tell the landlord that you would be willing to leave if he were to offer you 30K(tell him that 25K was not enough for you to leave last year). Can't hurt to negotiate and hopefully work the deal down to 20K - 25K to give the landlord the sense that he got a good deal. Real estate has slowed down but these landlords are very motivated to get rent controlled apartments removed from their buildings. Getting rid of you will substantially increase the valuation of the landlord's building - much more than 25K.
My father is a landlord with one rent controlled apartment and he can't get the tenant to leave. If the tenant offered to leave for a reasonable price my father would pay for it in a heartbeat.

Truthfully, I think the rent control system here in NYC is ridiculous and I plan on leaving this area so that I don't have to deal with the ridiculously overpriced rental market. However, if you happen to be in a situation where you can benefit from a landlord paying you to leave I'd go for it. It's a win-win situation for the tenant-landlord. The faster rent controlled apartments go back to the unregulated market, the better it will be for the average guy who just moved into NYC recently...

Old 02-03-2010, 12:47 PM

at the typical increase of 300-500 a month how many years would a landlord have to wait just to break even on 30,000 bucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City