Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 02:02 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Because of the high black population? I'm sorry but you will have to show proof of that before I even believe it with a grain of salt.
what dont you beleive really? because Trujillo had 2 purposes. One to rid dr of haitians and take over Haiti, and 2 to eliminate the blackness out of the dr, and opening its gates to all non black nations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
LOL, it's always black Americans people that do this. No offense, but you live in the US, where one drop of African blood makes you black. Who the hell are you to tell a Dominican that he's black? Obviously, people who look like Jose Reyes, David Ortiz, or Sammy Sosa are black. But those people do not make up the majority of the country. I'd hate to have to bring out photos to show you what the real DR looks like. Obama would not be black in the DR. He is as much white as he is black. You African American's have been brainwashed to know your place in American society. Beyonce would also not be considered black. Are you kidding me? She's obviously of mixed race. But here she has to identify with black because that's how whites keep her in place.

And-African American's are not even close to being more European than the average Dominican. That is why most dark Dominican's get confused with being "Light African Americans" right? lol.

Afro-Centrist alert!

actually beyonce is more black then anything. Her father is black and her mom is a creole. Creole meaning that her mom just has white blood in her.

her mom is basically like my dad from Haiti his mom looked like your average white lady with curly hair but was really a mullato of french origins.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
It's better than labeling someone like Obama "black".
how can you really say its better then labeling obama black when in reality when oboma was running for president even the people who hated him roam the streets saying " we should not be allowed to have a black man be president" or "obama is black the country will fail" Also if a obama were on tape robbing a store or killing someone with a handgun you or no1 else would say he was half white but quickly say "no shock that a black man murdered or robbed someone. This is the contradiction people who always hold on to the obama half stuff always make.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Your just showcasing that u have no idea what black is? Only the brainwashed believe in the term "mixed"(when it comes to blk people). EVERY BLACK PERSON IS MIXED. Barack Obama is black. Theres black people who arent" mixed" thats lighter than him. Nobody is trying to force someone to be black. But if you look black your black.period. You can deny it all u want too, but in the real world their black

Not trying to say they need to identify with black american culture. And i dont think african americans care about being more european than dominicans. Nor are black americans the ones that are brainwashed

the brainwashed are those thats black as night..but speaks spanish so they consider themselves not black
true spit right their.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:18 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,958 times
Most Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are mixed...however generally, Dominicans have stronger African features (coarse hair, high cheekbones, etc) than PR's. This is how I have always been able to tell them apart. Most of the ricans I know actually look a lot more like White people (straight hair, light skin, light eyes, etc) and could pass for White a lot easier than the dominicans I know. Most of the Dominicans that I know or grew up with leaned more towards the black/African side physically, but may have light colored eyes or wavy hair as opposed to thick (hate the term nappy) and curly...so they usually pass as mixed w/ black...but not fully black. It's not a big deal really...people shouldn't be ashamed of it. I think people should comfortable in their own skin (no pun intended).

Old 12-30-2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Most Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are mixed...however generally, Dominicans have stronger African features (coarse hair, high cheekbones, etc) than PR's. This is how I have always been able to tell them apart. Most of the ricans I know actually look a lot more like White people (straight hair, light skin, light eyes, etc) and could pass for White a lot easier than the dominicans I know. Most of the Dominicans that I know or grew up with leaned more towards the black/African side physically, but may have lighter colored eyes or wavy hair as opposed to thick (hate the term nappy) and curly...so they usually pass as mixed w/ black...but not fully black. It's not a big deal really...people shouldn't be ashamed of it. I think people should comfortable in their own skin (no pun intended).
this is very true because most dominicans i seei can tellhave african roots in them just by looking at their hair(if you know what i mean) whether their super light or dark skin. The only comment that was just funny to me was "the most people think dark skin dominicans are light skin blacks". That comment makes no sense.

sammy sosa was originally very dark with curley hair with obvious admixture but his skin color was way darker then even JAY Z

Old 12-30-2010, 09:01 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Remember when you move to the U.S if your Black regardless of mixture you have African roots.
Its the one drop rule.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:37 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
It's better than labeling someone like Obama "black".
Good point.

Is Obama Black?

Old 12-30-2010, 11:44 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
what? most dark skin dominicans do not get confused as being light skin black americans

dark skin Dominicans are the way you put them. They are dark skin which means their skin is very dark.

lightskin black Americans have light skin so it would be retarded for someone to think a dark skin dominican is a lightskin black person.

so your saying people think dark skin Dominicans are light like t.i and his wife tina??? or lil flip? or rapper benzino?????

you should do some research on black groups such as creoles. Those blacks look more white then your average Hispanic.
Should have not probably used the word dark, you're right. Dark Dominicans would be like the baseball players I mentioned,and there as dark as Wesley Snipes. My basic point was that the average Dominican would get called light skin AA. But there are Dominicans like me, who Always gets confused with being Puerto Rican and sometimes Cuban. In the center of the country, Dominicans would get more confused with Puerto Ricans. But the LARGE majority of the country probably would pass as light AA. But remember that Domincan's have to deal with 80-100 degree weather, high humidity, and bright stroing sun january to december, which tans them a great amount. African Americans have winter here that allow their skin to lose the pigmentation, and as a result appear lighter.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:53 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
what dont you beleive really? because Trujillo had 2 purposes. One to rid dr of haitians and take over Haiti, and 2 to eliminate the blackness out of the dr, and opening its gates to all non black nations.
Wrong.

He did want to get rid of Haitians, but that had nothing to do with race. It was the fact that they were stealing Dominican people's cattle and burning down the landscape. Immigration was a huge problem and no border was defined. He couldn't have just deported them because they would end up coming back anyways. So that is why he killed them, the Dominicans were fed up. He ended up ceding a large portion of those central lands to the haitians, and the Dominican territory shrunk to it's current size. It was much bigger back then.

If he wanted to get rid of blackness, wouldn't he have targeted black Dominicans? I told you that Samana was of African American descent, and he did not touch them because they were Dominican (who were blacker than Haitians). That is why he did the perejil test to seperate dark Dominicans and Haitians.

And wow he promised alot of Jews refuge in Sosua, but he only actually brought a few. They all ended up leaving to the US anyways. This was more of a political move. He wanted the world to view him in a good light, which is why he promised safe place for Jews. He didn't end up keeping it however. Also, if he really wanted to whiten the country, why did he accept more Japanese refugees? They are not white.

You know who actually suceeded in whitening their countries? Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Brazil. Brazil went from majority black through the 1950's, to majority white now, due to a complete and utter change in the entire demographics. Those countries were much darker back aways, the DR has actually gotten darker.

These are myths that Afro-Centrist try putting out there to target Dominicans. Do your own research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City