Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 11:33 AM

169 posts, read 698,323 times

Advertisements

We have two children and live in a decent 2bds/2bth 900 sqft apartment in a nice area of UES. To be honest, I do not like it here at all and can't wait to move back to CA. We have been living here for almost two years for Dh's traning. I think Manhattan is a great place for a single or a married couple without kids.

I have seen a lot of families with three or four or even five children still live in this area. I grew up in a big house with a yard and can't imagine raising my children here. We love museums, children operas, shows, and parks in NYC. But preschools here are insanely expensive. The public schools are just alright and too crowded.

Why do people like it here so much and wouldn't mind living in a tiny place? I have friends here in mentioned situation but am afraid that they may feel offended if I ask them this question. I just try to find a way to appreciate living here as we still have another year to go before moving back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 12:02 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
I can only speak for my siblings, who have children. They like going to concerts, to the theater, to the museums and having everything at their feet. They like not having to drive to go shopping, or anywhere, really. They like not having the responsiblity for any work in a garden, not having to shovel snow or worry about house maintenance. One sibling did move, at one point, to Connecticut, but everyone was so unhappy (they had a beautiful house on an acre of land) that they were back in Manhattan in a year.

It's not for everyone, clearly.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:17 PM

169 posts, read 698,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I can only speak for my siblings, who have children. They like going to concerts, to the theater, to the museums and having everything at their feet. They like not having to drive to go shopping, or anywhere, really. They like not having the responsiblity for any work in a garden, not having to shovel snow or worry about house maintenance. One sibling did move, at one point, to Connecticut, but everyone was so unhappy (they had a beautiful house on an acre of land) that they were back in Manhattan in a year.

It's not for everyone, clearly.
Also, I hate winter here. It is so cold. I use to live in the area with 60-80F year round- 15 mins drive from/to the beach, 15 mins drive to the nice/big shopping mall, and there is also great public school district there. The price of a nice house over there will get me only a tiny 2bd/bths in Manhattan. I don't think we will save much here because majority of earnings will go to the high living cost, children education, and rent/mortgage.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:07 PM

445 posts, read 1,448,417 times
I hear ya, OP. Unless you're very wealthy, it's tough to live in Manhattan with kids. We moved from Manhattan to Brooklyn when our son (now 24) was a year old. One reason we moved to Brooklyn was to have a bit of outdoor space and we couldn't afford that in Manhattan. We chose Brooklyn as opposed to the suburbs because we like the city. It was the best compromise we could make at the time. We felt that an urban environment would be best for our kids. We wanted them to have some degree of autonomy that they wouldn't have in the suburbs. By the time they were in middle school, they were able to go to and from school on their own, taking the subway or walking to friends' houses, the movies, extracurricular activities, shopping, etc. This is not to say that we never accompanied them, but at least it was an option, as opposed to driving them everywhere.

In hindsight, I do have some regrets, mostly with regard to schools. Real estate taxes in NYC are cheap, and you get what you pay for. We ended up putting both of our kids in private school for high school.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:18 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,293,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsky View Post
Also, I hate winter here. It is so cold. I use to live in the area with 60-80F year round- 15 mins drive from/to the beach, 15 mins drive to the nice/big shopping mall, and there is also great public school district there. The price of a nice house over there will get me only a tiny 2bd/bths in Manhattan. I don't think we will save much here because majority of earnings will go to the high living cost, children education, and rent/mortgage.
Children are only part of your issue. If you really like having a "15 mins drive to the nice/big shopping mall," then you'll never be happy in Manhattan, with or without children.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:22 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Children are only part of your issue. If you really like having a "15 mins drive to the nice/big shopping mall," then you'll never be happy in Manhattan, with or without children.
Agreed, if shopping malls are your thing, then urban life isn't compatible with you. Two completely different lifestyles.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:46 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,467,971 times
Manhattan offers opportunities for your children that you will never, ever find anywhere else.

That "big yard" won't mean squat once your kids are a bit older --- as a matter of fact, many suburban families I know who have kids say their kids barely get to use their "big yard" because they're rarely home: at school, day care, sports, running errands on weekends, etc..... Same thing with the beach. Everyone I know on Long Island says the best thing about LI is "the beaches" yet, when you ask them, they admit they only get to the beach maybe 1 or 2 times a summer.

Anyway, from your post, you seem to be a suburban person and that's probably where you'd be most content.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:53 PM

479 posts, read 1,442,650 times
I wish I had grew up in the city (NYC) instead of the suburbs in Pennsylvania. I have a friend who grew up in NYC and his family did a lot in the city when he was a kid. He saw more shows and was exposed to so many events and Museum exhibitions than I will ever be able to accomplish in my entire life. Jealous of him. LOL.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:57 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,878,491 times
Quote:
It's all relative, NYC has actually one of the mildest climates of the region. Even just 100 miles in any direction (except south) the weather is drastically colder and different.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:09 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times
Quote:
We have two children and live in a decent 2bds/2bth 900 sqft apartment in a nice area of UES. To be honest, I do not like it here at all and can't wait to move back to CA. We have been living here for almost two years for Dh's traning. I think Manhattan is a great place for a single or a married couple without kids.

I have seen a lot of families with three or four or even five children still live in this area. I grew up in a big house with a yard and can't imagine raising my children here. We love museums, children operas, shows, and parks in NYC. But preschools here are insanely expensive. The public schools are just alright and too crowded.

Why do people like it here so much and wouldn't mind living in a tiny place? I have friends here in mentioned situation but am afraid that they may feel offended if I ask them this question. I just try to find a way to appreciate living here as we still have another year to go before moving back.
You sound like my sister.We grew up in a city but she got married and moved to the suburbs to raise her own family while I doubled down on city life and moved to NY. Now, the only time she doesn't talk badly about city life and wonder how people can stand it is when she is going on and on about how great it was growing up in the city and what a wonderful childhood we had.How do your kids feel about the plan to move to California ?

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-03-2010 at 02:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City