Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 06:01 PM

8 posts, read 47,167 times

Advertisements

when you think of it.
the mixed income housing thing isnt gonna work.
as you might of heard, you can take the person out the hood, but cannot take the hood out of the person.
i give those new mixed income homes a yr before they smell of **** and have graffiti all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 07:24 PM

461 posts, read 1,999,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrypuffballs View Post
when you think of it.
the mixed income housing thing isnt gonna work.
as you might of heard, you can take the person out the hood, but cannot take the hood out of the person.
i give those new mixed income homes a yr before they smell of **** and have graffiti all over the place.
I totally agree!!! This is why I always speak bad of "ghetto" people yet many people on this board bash me for being insensitive and mean towards these animals. The fact is, no matter what you do or where you put these animals, at the end of the day you CAN'T take the hood out of a person. So then I ask the question...why put so many resources and spend so many tax dollar on people that belong in the sewer? Let these people rot in hell. They're useless to society.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:41 PM

425 posts, read 958,332 times
I would not be suprised if the Arverne & Edgemere projects in Rockaway were eventually torn down, with the Arverne by the Sea community in full swing, and a re done subway station, YMCA and a new commercial strip with condos going from the subway station to the boardwalk.

I could see the area redevelopment eventually taking place on the bay side of the area as well.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:21 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,320,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
i totally agree!!! This is why i always speak bad of "ghetto" people yet many people on this board bash me for being insensitive and mean towards these animals. The fact is, no matter what you do or where you put these animals, at the end of the day you can't take the hood out of a person. So then i ask the question...why put so many resources and spend so many tax dollar on people that belong in the sewer? Let these people rot in hell. They're useless to society.
Wow...O_O

I think it's good they're tearing down projects though.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:31 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,398,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
I totally agree!!! This is why I always speak bad of "ghetto" people yet many people on this board bash me for being insensitive and mean towards these animals. The fact is, no matter what you do or where you put these animals, at the end of the day you CAN'T take the hood out of a person. So then I ask the question...why put so many resources and spend so many tax dollar on people that belong in the sewer? Let these people rot in hell. They're useless to society.
you are very stupid, and i actually take offense to this, because i have 6 cousins who have lived in the projects all their lives, yes ill admit one of them took the wrong path in their life, but guess where all the other 5 of them are??? their all in top colleges/universities traveling the world and are successful and soon to be successful.

please stop generalizing people. not everyone in a project building is a thug or an animal.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 16,883 times
Projects are for families who had low-income to no income. majority of project residence are influenced by their surroundings of drugs and crime. In a way it's a double edge sword...no?

Not all, but majority of the residents lack skills that can help them start a job/career. Due to the lack of skills they turn to illegal activity because of the high profits that you can make. Therefore, there is usually high activity of crime and drugs within those complex. Growing up in the projects, you are exposed to that environment and soon it becomes part of you. Its a brutal cycle.

I know many people who lived in the projects and couldn't wait to get out of the projects because of the drugs, the gangs and the crime rates. I also know some people who lived in the projects and couldn't care less. They rather spend their earnings on $200 Air Jordan sneakers rather than saving it in an account.

It's a state of mind. Unfortunately, there are people to abuse and take advantage and we (taxpayers) have to pay up. I feel that NYC should try to weed out those that abuse and give it to those family in dire need of housing. I think they would be more appreciative rather than abusive.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:03 PM

34,001 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottykick View Post
I would not be suprised if the Arverne & Edgemere projects in Rockaway were eventually torn down, with the Arverne by the Sea community in full swing, and a re done subway station, YMCA and a new commercial strip with condos going from the subway station to the boardwalk.

I could see the area redevelopment eventually taking place on the bay side of the area as well.
there were rumors of this...but it is federal law that if you demolish public housing, it has to be replaced...and there are 2 many problems on the bay side that have to be taken care of before that happens, i'll save that for a new thread sometime

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-06-2010, 06:11 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,669,634 times
Public housing buildings (especially those built from the 30s through the late 60s) are THE most well-built properties around. The quality of the buildings are unmatched. For that reason, I am not a big fan of tearing those buildings down. However, the costs to renovate are probably astronomical. The main issue I have, though is the quality of modern buildings. They're not built as well as those from back in the day!

Old 06-07-2010, 06:30 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,090 times
The whole public housing/section 8 subsidies issue needs to be rethought. It's as if no one has been steering the ship and it ran aground. Anyone willing to take it on to revamp the whole thing? Whoever can figure this out deserves a big prize.
Is there anywhere in the world where public housing is well-maintained and fiscally managed, and where housing subsidies are capped off at reasonable rates so that landlords aren't able to use it as a profit vehicle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City