Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 18,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
$450 dollar a month for one person on groceries? are you going to be eating golden apples?? lol. i can feed my family of four for 2 months on 450 bucks. if u get a internet/phone/cable combo, it will run you about 160 a month, taxes included. as for utilities, if you cook a lot, your gas bill will be about $20 bucks, if you dont cook a lot it will be 10. electric will vary, depending if you run the AC in the summer or not, but estimate to be no lower than about $60 bucks. my electric bill when i was renting was $75-$85 a month, and thats for a desktop computer, deep freezer, stove, micro, 3 flat screen tvs, and other assorted appliances.

Thank you! The first person to tell me i'd be spending too much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 04:03 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
$450 a month is $15 a day in groceries. I think this figure is correct for a budget for a single person. Even though it may be possible to feed a family of 4 for $450 a month (which comes out to $3.75 per person per day), I think it's only possible if you shop primarily at Costco.

In many places, a pound of boneless chicken breast costs $7 per pound. For half a pound (one serving of 8 oz) that's your entire day's food budget if you use the $450 a month for a family of 4 figure.

The $7 per pound I quoted is the price at the market at Grand Central as well as Ottomanelli's Butcher in Woodside, Queens and it's something similar at Whole Foods. It's also about that for the higher quality/organic chicken at Trader Joes.

Sure, you can get chicken much cheaper at Costco, but if someone is living a Manhattan lifestyle, they may choose to shop in their neighborhood and they may also choose a higher quality of product than you get at the discount stores.

For budgeting purposes for non-Costco shopping, I would go with $450 per month.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:20 PM

72 posts, read 262,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
For budgeting purposes for non-Costco shopping, I would go with $450 per month.
I agree. It all depends on the quality of food a person can tolerate.

If you are really on the lookout for cheap places to eat in Manhattan, you can eat out almost half the time for that kind of money - unless you buy any kind of alcohol with your meal.

I don't know, I get much more particular about what I eat as I get older. Younger people are more ok with eating all sorts of crap, that's why I hear things on this board - like $200 for food in Manhattan per month. Not if it's fresh and tasty!

It's also possible to save a LOT of money on nightlife or "afterwork" life if you know good happy hour spots. I know of at least two places that have $3 drafts until 7/8pm, which is like an incredible steal in this city.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:25 PM

82 posts, read 315,613 times
Quote:
Sure, you can get chicken much cheaper at Costco, but if someone is living a Manhattan lifestyle, they may choose to shop in their neighborhood and they may also choose a higher quality of product than you get at the discount stores.
That's funny. I find Costco produce not only cheaper but much better quality than local Manhattan supermarkets. Many times I was buying meat in local supermarket last summer only to find out at home that it smelled funny. You don't know what you get in the deli counter, the quality is so inconsistent. Fruits and vegies are by far better quality at Costco. I can't think of a single thing that local supermarkets have better.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:34 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4ever View Post
That's funny. I find Costco produce not only cheaper but much better quality than local Manhattan supermarkets. Many times I was buying meat in local supermarket last summer only to find out at home that it smelled funny. You don't know what you get in the deli counter, the quality is so inconsistent. Fruits and vegies are by far better quality at Costco. I can't think of a single thing that local supermarkets have better.
Thanks - that's a good point. I don't have personal experience with getting groceries at Costco. For a single person living a non-car lifestyle, it doesn't make sense to join Costco. So that leaves the Manhattan resident to shop at Whole Foods or Grand Central Market, buying the $7 per pound chicken, in order to avoid the funny-smelling chicken.

Which was my original point - most likely the OP is going to be buying chicken that costs $7 per pound.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:10 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
$450 dollar a month for one person on groceries? are you going to be eating golden apples?? lol. i can feed my family of four for 2 months on 450 bucks. if u get a internet/phone/cable combo, it will run you about 160 a month, taxes included. as for utilities, if you cook a lot, your gas bill will be about $20 bucks, if you dont cook a lot it will be 10. electric will vary, depending if you run the AC in the summer or not, but estimate to be no lower than about $60 bucks. my electric bill when i was renting was $75-$85 a month, and thats for a desktop computer, deep freezer, stove, micro, 3 flat screen tvs, and other assorted appliances.
I don't think $450 a month is a lot on groceries unless he is eating ramen noodles every night. Groceries are expensive here. Everyone will eat differently, but I don't think he is overstretching that far. As far as gas goes, I hardly ever used my gas and con ed still charges about $16 a month just to have the gas on. I don't think this kind of bill runs into the hundreds, but just something to be aware of that is going to be added on his electric bill.

As far as electric and how much it will cost, that is something in my experience, you can ask 10 people that live in different parts of manhattan who all use similar electricitly and will pay 10 different amounts. My friends used to get $300 electric bills when they were hardly using anything (they were both resident doctors, worked 80+ hours a week and were never home). They contacted the landlord and there was nothing they could do about it. The landlord told them that the last tenants complained about the same thing but nothing can be done. They were never told of this when they signed the lease. I lived in Hell's Kitchen and my bill was about $85 a month including the gas, and I barely used any electricity. In the summer it would go up to about $150 with the a/c and I didn't leave the a/c on if it wasn't really hot or if I wasn't home.

I don't think there is a right or wrong with electric bill estimates, I would just rather err on the side of it being higher so you don't get stuck trying to pay the bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City