Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 10:33 AM

5 posts, read 18,858 times

Advertisements

How cold does it get in New York in Jan, Feb and March? Unbearably cold that you can't walk around?

Compared to the summer, do New Yorkers not go out as much and stay indoors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 10:41 AM

650 posts, read 2,517,495 times
I think 37/38 is the average high, so usually its not too bad. But it can vary (we just had a long stretch of high 40s) but next couple days are teens and 20s.
While its not outdoor friendly as the summer, the city is busy and bustling in any month.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:35 AM

917 posts, read 2,947,767 times
It was 15 degrees this morning as I was walking to the subway, and that was without windchill. It was rough, especially since it reached 50 last week.

It's not as bad as Boston though. If you have a good coat, scarf and boots, it's pretty manageable.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:50 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
It's all relative. I used to live in Minneapolis, so New York always seems balmy to me. However, if you're used to LA or Atlanta, it's going to feel cold.

In general, I think New York City (not State) is warmer than most people imagine. It happens to be 20 degrees today, but it's not always that cold.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:06 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
I didn't think I was that old...but I remember New York City winters as a kid, and it used to get quite a bit colder than it does now. Of course, that doesn't stop our friendly local television meteorologists from blathering on about "bitter cold," but let's be honest: a daytime high of 25 degrees is not bitter cold.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:10 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
NYC is not Buffalo, that is for sure. You won't get 40 inches of snow in a few days. Maybe it is in the teens today, but in a few days it can be back in the 40s.

Generally, it is pretty moderate. Of course, if those weather people are Florida dreamin, no it is nothing like that. And I say GOOD for that.

See where I now live.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:44 PM

169 posts, read 489,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I didn't think I was that old...but I remember New York City winters as a kid, and it used to get quite a bit colder than it does now. Of course, that doesn't stop our friendly local television meteorologists from blathering on about "bitter cold," but let's be honest: a daytime high of 25 degrees is not bitter cold.
That's so funny...I'm 36, btw.....and I distinctly remember that NYC winters were alot more brutal than they are now

AND...I work outside for a living...

Old 01-29-2010, 03:19 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
The problem with NY's weather is its instability.
Brutal cold can change to warm in a couple of hours and vice versa. And we collect humidity from every place on earth - the great lakes, gulf of Mexico, my neighbor's fishpond...
Humidity worsens things significantly, both in the winter and summer. Today for example, not only are our temps low, but we also enjoy severe windchill. Last year, there was almost had no summer.
Interesting enough, CA on the Pacific shore, with winds blowing their way, has low humidity and moderate temps.
One more thing - the percentage of overcast days in NY state is high, when compared to the south, or CO.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:39 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
It was 15 degrees this morning as I was walking to the subway, and that was without windchill. It was rough, especially since it reached 50 last week.

It's not as bad as Boston though. If you have a good coat, scarf and boots, it's pretty manageable.
That's the best advice. Dress for it! Norwegians have a saying: "There is no bad weather, only bad clothing."

Worse than the cold is the wind, but that's just part of the city.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:30 AM

27 posts, read 143,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

That is funny, because "bitter cold" has been the exact phrase that I've had to use for a couple of stretches this month. And I agree. It's been more than the temperature number, it's been an actual bite to some of these days.

Yesterday, in the D.C. area, it was bitter and brutal. A couple of weeks ago, it was bitter and brutal. Maybe it was no more than a harsh remembrance of what winter used to be and these past few years have made pansies out of us, but 2010's winter has actually felt like WINTER and we haven't had one of those for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City