U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,440 times

Advertisements

My mother has been living in NYCHA since 1956. Just recently, after being on a waiting list for approved transfers, for a bigger apartment (two to three bedrooms), to accommodate my mother who is 89 years old, my son who is Bipolar and I who is a disabled Veteran, were finally offered one two days ago, in which we approve.

Back in 1956 my mother paid a security deposit for a three bedroom apartment of $ 25.00. Many years later she was transferred to a two bedroom apartment. In the new three bedroom apartment the rent is above $1,000.00 a month requiring a rent deposit of $1,000.00.
The rent is affordable but we must pay the difference between the two rents plus the $1,000.00 security deposit upon receipt of the keys to the new apartment, in a few days. My mother and I live on fixed incomes from social security widow’s benefits and disability benefits respectfully. My son is gainfully employed drawing the highest salary.
My first question is in regard to the security deposit. Do security deposits given to NYCHA go in an escrow account and draw interest? Secondly…If we can’t come up with the money when the apartment is ready for occupancy do we lose out on the opportunity or is it possible to work something out with NYCHA paying more until we make up the security deposit?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 08:22 AM

136 posts, read 365,246 times
Why not move out of the Projects all together and find a better quality of living for that kind of money?
You all could rent a house somewhere and live together instead of the small 3 bedroom apartment.

JE
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City