Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 05:55 PM

111 posts, read 392,819 times

Advertisements

I have a buddy moving to NYC next Fall and he asked me this question.

Using a broker can he find an apartment in 2 days at the end of July for a lease beginning in early September? He is going to have July 29th and July 30th to look and then will be leaving the country until September 5th. He'll start work about a week later. His options are to find it during those 2 days in July or that first week of September.

Which one do you think is the better course of action and will likely be more successful? I really had no idea what to tell him.

Edit: And if it matters he is looking at moving to the UWS and will spend up to $2800 a month for a one bedroom or large studio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 06:29 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,096,951 times
Is he familiar enough with the UWS to make a decision after 2 days ? It's certainly possible.Maybe he could narrow down the geographic area even more between now and then. The UWS is pretty big.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:40 PM

111 posts, read 392,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Is he familiar enough with the UWS to make a decision after 2 days ? It's certainly possible.Maybe he could narrow down the geographic area even more between now and then. The UWS is pretty big.
He seems decently familiar. He lived there for a couple months previously. I know his preference is the 70's or 80's but I don't know how open he is to areas other than that.

So it seems that it should be doable if he knows what he wants going in. Is there usually a decent selection of apartments 5 weeks or so in advance?

Old 02-09-2010, 07:51 PM

The timing should be pretty good.There is also a lot of inventory right now and that probably won't change too much in by Summer.
I think he should make every effort to find something in the 2 day period at the end of July, knowing that if it doesn't work out he will have the September period to try to find something last minute.I wouldn't advise just waiting until September.
At least a concerted 2 day July effort will help narrow things down even if he doesn't find something then.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:45 AM

6 posts, read 18,544 times
When I moved to NYC in August last year, it took me the weekend to view several apartments with the broker, and decided on one that weekend. The broker then spent a day or so negotiating on the price, and I moved in 14 days after arriving in the city. The market wasn't great at the time and there were quite a lot of units available. No hard bargaining needed either as the landlord was relatively prepared to move down to my offer.

That said, I did a lot of research online before arriving in NYC. I emailed the broker photos of apartments I would like (I know that many of the online ads either use stock photos or outdated ones). Also was very specific about the area (i.e., between x street and x street as it had to be walking distance to my office and my kid's school). Basically told the broker to look for apartments with those qualities and not to bother with other options. So the viewing process was quite targetted. There were one or two options I didn't like on the first day, but once the broker knew I wasn't interested in other options, the second day was great and it was pretty easy to shortlist the apartments I would be ready to consider.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:12 AM

403 posts, read 1,395,368 times
A two day window is fine. Apartments move very quickly in Manhattan, that is you see it, grab it, and move in asap. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:58 PM

19 posts, read 36,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polityka View Post
When I moved to NYC in August last year, it took me the weekend to view several apartments with the broker, and decided on one that weekend. The broker then spent a day or so negotiating on the price, and I moved in 14 days after arriving in the city.
This is really useful to know as we're moving from the UK to NYC in a month time. I have been doing tons of research online but am having trouble narrowing which broker(s) to get in touch with. Are you able to share with me which broker(s) you used? I'd ideally like a broker that deals with the whole of NYC so I don't have to go to one for Manhattan, one for the Bronx, etc.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:07 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,960,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmovingtonyc View Post
This is really useful to know as we're moving from the UK to NYC in a month time. I have been doing tons of research online but am having trouble narrowing which broker(s) to get in touch with. Are you able to share with me which broker(s) you used? I'd ideally like a broker that deals with the whole of NYC so I don't have to go to one for Manhattan, one for the Bronx, etc.
Please send broker recommendations ONLY BY DM, and not on the thread.

Most brokers only have ONE borough with which they deal. Sometimes only one area of one borough.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:25 PM

19 posts, read 36,626 times
THanks for your reply. I've done a lot of research in last few weeks and luckily seem to have found a couple of big brokers that deal with more than just one borough, which will hopefully make our apartment search a little easier. Any personal recommendations from members would be most appreciated though (in a DM of course).

Old 02-10-2010, 03:44 PM

Generally,a broker who deals with all boroughs is going to be affiliated with a large Manhattan based firm that deals primarily with only very select, higher end properties in the other boroughs.It's fine if you want to limit yourself to that but you are very unlikely to find a good deal this way or really see a wide selection .For instance,many of the large Manhattan based brokerages may appear capable of showing you Brooklyn but can really only show you a few places in Brooklyn Heights and a few in Williamsburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: