Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 16,071 times

Advertisements

My daughter is starting a medical residency at NY Metropolitan Hospital in June. In looking at a map I see it's on the Upper East Side. I'm an old cop and worry about things like this ... is that an unsafe area of NYC? Is she going to be able to find affordable housing at all? They don't pay medical residents very much money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 05:12 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
It's fine. It's a very busy area and the UES is fine. It's not REALLY QUITE on the UES - just above. But the area is fine. And don't worry, she's an adult and can manage. And she'll make enough to support herself (unlike when I was a resident). But she should NOT bring a car.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
It's fine. It's a very busy area and the UES is fine. It's not REALLY QUITE on the UES - just above. But the area is fine. And don't worry, she's an adult and can manage. And she'll make enough to support herself (unlike when I was a resident). But she should NOT bring a car.
Thank you very much for the reply. I have no concerns about her being able to manage ... she is very independent and capable. She has asked her mother and I to come up there with her to find a place to live so we'll get to play tourist a bit and see some of NYC.

I think my main worry for her is finding a place she can afford to live. She has a friend in a residency in NYC and her rent is $2600 a month. That eats up a lot of a resident's salary.

Once again, thank you for the reply. It's appreciated.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:17 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
It does eat up a lot of salary. But she's not going to have much spare time in which to spend it. Metropolitan is right at the edge of Spanish Harlem, right by the East River. Not the best area, but not the worst, either.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:50 PM

917 posts, read 2,947,445 times
She could definitely get a nice room for a lot less than $2600 within an easy commute to the hospital. A lot of people have roommates in NYC until they move in with significant others. It's very rare to be young and have your own place. Is she ok with being someone's roommate? If she is, she should have her friend start asking around to see if anyone else is looking for a roommate.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:52 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,320 times
She should definitely live in the UES. Metropolitan Hospital is at the northernmost tip of the UES, but there are some really nice apartment buildings and complexes along 96th Street that have security and other amenities. I would suggest that she live in that area so that she is close enough to the hospital to make her commute that much easier.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:09 PM

Default thank you!

Thank you to all that replied. She has been looking on Craig's List and finding potential apartments, but it's obvious that she needs to wait till she's closer to moving time to look. She starts there on July 1. I think she'll head up that way in May or early June to see what she can find. You have all been very kind ... thank you.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 4,638 times
I got an interview for filling an internal medicine residency position at the same hospital and want to know whether it's a good program and a clean hospital to work in??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City