Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:13 AM

47 posts, read 165,151 times

Advertisements

I'm not familiar with Queens as a whole but am familiar with Bayside. I don't mind the longer commute but was wondering if Astoria and Long Island City are comparable to Bayside in that there is a main street where the kids can go to dance class, karate etc...and that these areas are safe as well as a nice, safe, decent ghetto free mall. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 11:24 AM

295 posts, read 1,501,937 times
Astoria & LIC have lots of dance areas, karate, ect. I think Astoria has the most places for kids out of all 3 places mentioned.

They have no malls in Astoria/LIC to my knowledge that compare to the little outdoor ones in Bayside. Queens Center would be the closest thing. I can't really answer what comprises a "ghetto free mall." Kids go to malls and you get a mix of kids at any mall.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:57 PM

730 posts, read 2,048,713 times
I'd rather head to Astoria than to Bayside since the former has more high schools (William Bryant, LIC, etc.), not to mention it's closer to more subway lines, meaning your children and yourselves can be exposed to Manhattan and the many diverse neighborhoods around western Queens. In addition, Astoria's closer to Queens Center Mall.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:58 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,860,750 times
Bayside has, BY FAR, the better schools. BY FAR.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 13,245 times
Are you still looking for an apt.? I am the owner of a beautiful, large 3 bedroom co-op for sale in Bayside, Queens. Exquisitely renovated kitchen and bathrooms. 2 parking spots.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:47 PM

71 posts, read 192,847 times
For schools, you should pick Bayside. District 26 is the best in the borough...don't know how old your kids are but Benjamin Cardozo High School is also one of the best in the City.

I grew up in Woodside, on Astoria border, spent junior high and high school in Bayside and now live in LIC, in Hunters Point. There is NOTHING in this area like a "main street", I'm sorry to say, and taking advantage of any amenities means having to leave the neighborhood. BUT there is a great community feel here for families...LOTS of kids. It's great for hanging out in the neighborhood park and meeting other families, but the activities just don't exist. And the schools aren't great -- everyone here at our elementary school starts freaking when their child reaches 6th grade: the school (PS 78, pre-K to 5th grade) is good, but the middle school causes panic! No one wants to send their kids there. I don't even know the school number. If I think of it I'll let you know.

Steinway Street in Astoria is great, for shopping and I believe there's a karate studio. Steinway has chain stores, specialty food shops, and more (Rizzo's has the BEST pizza!). Definitely a city shopping area -- could be cleaner, but it's safe.

Bayside is great, with Bell Boulevard to give you easy access to dance and karate. There's no mall, but Bay Terace Shopping Center down Bell at 26th Avenue is safe, has a movie theatre, supermarket, Gap, Barnes & Noble and other chain and non-chain shops.

Decide what kind of environment you want: Bayside is very suburban feeling, compared to Astoria/LIC.

WOW, this is long! Sorry -- I'll leave it at that. Let me know if you want any more of my humble opinion!

Old 05-06-2010, 03:32 PM

527 posts, read 1,016,882 times
I live in whitestone, My opinion is Bayside DEFINITELY is a better area to bring up your kids without a doubt

Old 05-11-2010, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,093 times
In Long Island City there are Long Island City Kids [url=http://www.lickids.com]LIC Kids - Home[/url] that offers various classes, preschool & afteschool activities and PS78 that has solid reputation

Old 05-21-2010, 09:24 AM

4 posts, read 11,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamplemousse View Post
Are you still looking for an apt.? I am the owner of a beautiful, large 3 bedroom co-op for sale in Bayside, Queens. Exquisitely renovated kitchen and bathrooms. 2 parking spots.
I am currently looking in this area. Which complex are you in>?

Old 07-25-2010, 06:15 PM

18 posts, read 77,830 times
Bayside, by a landslide, has better public schools (District 26). And check out Bell Blvd. and the Bay Terrace shopping centre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City