Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 03:20 PM

127 posts, read 261,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
If you did, you'd get the shiit kicked out of you.
My parents are complete dorks and they survived the 70s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 03:42 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,950,386 times
Hipster Neighborhoods in NYC - Page 3 - NabeWise, neighborhoods revealed

My neighboorhood ranked 23rd for Hipsters.

The link I provided is where all the Hipsters hangout or reside.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:03 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,151,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCote View Post
this is all bs, Im young, white, and coming from a ****ty city. not suburbs, a city. Yet the reason i desire to leave, is that the rent is the same, and there are hardly any young people here, there is nothing to do, no one to meet.. my citys streets look as if they have a 2 person weight limit or something. not to mention it doesnt help that its car country. I know you cant imagine that living in new york, full of young people, but its terrifying. I live in FLORIDA. i serve food all day in Tampa Bay to nothing but people above 60.

Now all i can afford, with my girlfriend, is 1200 a month maximum. an thats working 50+ hrs a week.
I am an aspiring travel photographer. I have worked so hard to get where im at with out the aid of my parent. I left home at 17. dropped out. and followed my photography dream. so far i have had some great opportunities i would have never had if i had stayed in school. i am now 19, my girlfriend 18, both of us living paycheck to paycheck, but we need to get out of this place.

Check list:
white? yeah
young? yeah
calls themselves an artist? yeah
poor? yeah
wears tight pants? yeah
would you call me a hipster? ...
would you despise me if i moved into an abandoned industrial part of your ethnic nieghborhood?...
i have been wanting to rent out a small loft for a practical work/living situation.
"east williamsburg" aka almost bushwick seems ideal.
it seems id be priced out of all of the loft spaces besides the McKibben lofts, which i know has a large amount of hate attached to it. also, i heard bedbugs, and shallowness resides there.
"Safe" means different things to different people. to me safe means not risking getting raped while walking home at like 10pm.

im not naive, and i know gentrification is caused by college students with daddys credit cards and yupps. but i am neither of these things. the last thing i want to do is displace someone from THEIR neighborhood. but sometimes your neighbor"hood"s are all i can afford, barely. i dont want to live there because i think its "cool" or gives me "street cred". i simply cant afford anything else worth the move.

i am accepting and open to learning about people, cultures, and traditions; and some are not, and just want the space. which is also why i understand why natives hate "hipsters".

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW I CAN MOVE HERE IN PEACE?!!
i might be an artsy type, i like music, films, art, whatever, but i want to meet and make friends with a variety of people, from all different walks of life, not just some stuck up brats who dropped out of art school to wear band tees and drink pbrs. I have had friends from all different backgrounds where i live, these boards just make it seem like everyone is so damn judgemental by your look before they know you up there.

can anyone tell me if i move here, lets say bushwick/east w.burg, if someone like me will instantly be hated by most and classified as a yupster from a distance, or will most people up there actually consider you as just another dude working as hard as everyone else to live where everyone lives?

yeah

Congratulations, you are obnoxious enough to be classified as a hipster. You have a distinct d-bag aura, so yeah

Old 08-16-2012, 04:12 PM

791 posts, read 1,429,443 times
The title of this thread: where hipsters go.

Personally, I wish they'd simply...go.

If they start colonizing the Bronx I might have to move back to California.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:18 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,889,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Hipster Neighborhoods in NYC - Page 3 - NabeWise, neighborhoods revealed

My neighboorhood ranked 23rd for Hipsters.

The link I provided is where all the Hipsters hangout or reside.
Astoria is 32 lol

dunno brah, seems to me.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:07 AM

579 posts, read 942,201 times
Was up in Bedford park this weekend and saw them the D train. Maybe going to the Botanical Gardens?

Old 10-07-2012, 06:19 AM

110 posts, read 299,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
was up in bedford park this weekend and saw them the d train. Maybe going to the botanical gardens?
nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:47 AM

1,486 posts, read 2,225,782 times
Saw one go by on a unicycle...he may have been lost.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:00 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,339,136 times
Personally, I don't associate with hipsters but I welcome them with open arms.
White people are a dying breed in NYC and we need all the help we can get from hipsters and transplants.Lol

Gentrification is pure nonsense. No one " owns" neighborhoods in any sense.
When non whites move into predominately white neighborhoods it's fine ( as it should be) but when whites move into non white neighborhoods it's bad?

Old 10-07-2012, 03:11 PM

1,486 posts, read 2,225,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
yeah

Congratulations, you are obnoxious enough to be classified as a hipster. You have a distinct d-bag aura, so yeah
"aspiring travel photographer" CHECK

"distinct dbag aura" CHECK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City