U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 01:19 PM

6 posts, read 16,034 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I have searched and searched this forum but there are so much information that I have a hard time sorting so I will ask you for answers.
We are a family of four with two adults and two sons, one is in High school and one will enter middle school next semester. Both my sons are heavy into playing ice hockey so youth hockey is of essence.
I am in the process of discussing a new job in NYC, more exactly south of union square. This job would pay somewhere between 90 and 100000 dollars per year.
We will be starting out as a one income family and this concerns me.

We would really like to find a good area to settle in and not have to switch schools for the kids any time soon even though our plan is to rent first and then try to buy a house which we can make our own.

We like urban settings and our wishes for housing is at least 3 br, good schools, easy parking (we will need to keep at least one car for driving to and from hockey events), I would really like a commute shorter than 40 minutes and no changes.

Are there places where we can live comfortably on $90000/yr which meet our requirements?

If yes, which areas would you recommend?

Thanks
Thomas
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 01:55 PM

6 posts, read 16,034 times
Default You made your point

OK I get it. Buying a house is far fetched. What if we were to rent?

Thomas

Old 02-17-2010, 02:45 PM

10,630 posts, read 17,881,410 times
First, be prepared for the fed/state/city tax. On $90k you will take home about $5500/mo. How much are you comfortable spending on rent with that take home salary?

Old 02-17-2010, 04:40 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,062,891 times
On 90k you can find the 3 bedroom apartment, in a nice area but easy parking is not found in most of NYC nowadays, especially in areas close to the subway. My parents own a condo in Queens and they have to pay yearly for a space. As far as schools, there are a few nice elementary schools around and few specialized high schools, but the sad reality is, even in decent areas, most NYC middle and High schools are gladiator academies so start prepping your kids now. NYC, Detroit, LA, Chicago and Baltimore usually have the worst school districts in the country. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:27 PM

295 posts, read 1,446,995 times
I'd say research a move to Queens/ Brooklyn.

You'd find an affordable 3 bedroom, and eventually a house (though that will take lots of saving).

Your commute will certainly be longer than your dream commute of 40 mins by train (realistically maybe 1 hr), but you will get used to it.

Your HS age kid will be harder to place. You should contact the NYC board of ed & find out about zoning/enrolling. Schools can be amazing or terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>