Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 03:58 AM

21 posts, read 81,318 times

Advertisements

So i have a friend who has lived in New York all his life. About two years ago he moved up to were im living in Washington state. He finished high school here and just last summer moved back to his hometown the Bronx with his girlfriend who was also from here. Now frankly i find myself stuck on a decision whether i should move in with him or not. Only because i'm not so sure if i would like New York or the Bronx at that. I have never been to New York just to let you know. Biggest cities i have lived in was Los Angeles, and Phoenix.

So what are your thoughts on New York in general?
What do you think about the Bronx?
Is it safe? Expensive? Fun?
How is life there compared to life in LA or PHX?

Thanks to all who reply in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 05:00 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
What are of The Bronx ? It could make a difference.
The Bronx( and each borough of NYC) is more like a major city with a large diversity of neighborhoods,incomes and people.It's just too big to generalize.
First you have to figure out if you want to move to New York at all.If the answer is yes then having a native friend you could live with for a while would obviously be a great asset.
Maybe you should come for a visit first.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:57 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
I would definitely recommend coming for a visit to NYC, and specifically to the Bronx. The Bronx can be anything to anyone...you can live in a $10 million dollar estate, or a poor housing project, and eveything in between. Visit first, THEN ask questions.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:01 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
yeah, you definitely need to visit.

Quote:
completely different

Old 02-18-2010, 09:37 AM

412 posts, read 1,326,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaze13 View Post
So i have a friend who has lived in New York all his life. About two years ago he moved up to were im living in Washington state. He finished high school here and just last summer moved back to his hometown the Bronx with his girlfriend who was also from here. Now frankly i find myself stuck on a decision whether i should move in with him or not. Only because i'm not so sure if i would like New York or the Bronx at that. I have never been to New York just to let you know. Biggest cities i have lived in was Los Angeles, and Phoenix.

So what are your thoughts on New York in general?
What do you think about the Bronx?
Is it safe? Expensive? Fun?

Thanks to all who reply in advance.
Lived in the BX all my life. Wouldn't have changed it for anything that is until I got sick of NY and moved across the river a year ago, haha but the Bronx, isn't as bad as its reputation.

Things have changed for the better. Like any part of town it has is bad areas and good areas. You can find a lot to do there. Parks galore. Cultural diversity and of course YANKEE STADIUM..

Also remember the BX is the birthplace of hip-hop.

Depending on what area you choose, it can be expensive but you will be able to find something.

Life compare to LA & PHX, you don't need a car to go to the grocery store. There are bodegas on every corner, pizza shops, restuarants name it you can find it in the BX.

Transportation also depends on what part you go to but it's very accessible.

Yes I still have love the the BX, well NY period. There is no other city that can compare or have a transit system that runs all night and gets you to anywhere you need to go in any borough. Yea it has its perks but then it wouldn't be NYC.

Even though I live in Jersey now, I so miss having the convenience of mass transit.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:58 PM

Well i am pretty sure i would eventually get use to the city. As i have to so many others in my life. Ive lived up and down the west coast, LA, Modesto, Fresno, Phoenix, Idaho Falls, and My hometown state of Washington. :]

I Also spoke with my friend today and he gave me a good insight on how life is there. He also said that hes living in Yonkers and I also heard that neighborhoods in New York are very diverse in culture and race? How is New Yorks Yonkers community race wise, culture wise, and is there any night life? Is it fun? Would you consider it a safe area?

Thanks again to all who reply :]

Old 02-18-2010, 11:39 PM

15 posts, read 30,851 times
So what are your thoughts on New York in general? same as other big cities with extreme wealth and poverty. What do you think about the Bronx? a depressing place to live.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:31 AM

Why is it depressing?

Old 02-19-2010, 08:35 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
New York can be diverse or it can be insular, depending upon neighborhood. Generally speaking, the city is pretty diverse, but that's not to say that the city it without its divisions.

The Bronx is vast, to put it mildly, with well over 1,000,000 residents, and the neighborhoods vary greatly in terms of character and quality. It all depends upon the area to which you would need to commute and the type of lifestyle that you are seeking.

I am sure that you could fit in NYC without an issue, but the question of finding the right neighborhood at the right price is the key component.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-19-2010, 03:14 PM

283 posts, read 521,706 times
Most of the areas you named aren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaze13 View Post
Well i am pretty sure i would eventually get use to the city. As i have to so many others in my life. Ive lived up and down the west coast, LA, Modesto, Fresno, Phoenix, Idaho Falls, and My hometown state of Washington. :]

I Also spoke with my friend today and he gave me a good insight on how life is there. He also said that hes living in Yonkers and I also heard that neighborhoods in New York are very diverse in culture and race? How is New Yorks Yonkers community race wise, culture wise, and is there any night life? Is it fun? Would you consider it a safe area?

Thanks again to all who reply :]
Those cities you named are basically giant burbs. It's a different world here. I could be wrong but I don't think living in Phoenix and Idaho Falls (lol) will prepare you for life in NY.

On Yonkers: it's a small city in Westchester county (just north of the Bronx) not New York City. Much of it is white and suburban but there are a good amount of Latinos and some blacks. Overall it's a dull place to me. The south west part of the city used to be wild back in the day but not so much now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City