Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 04:28 PM

12 posts, read 37,198 times

Advertisements

Alright, so i made an earlier post on Manhattan living and came to a decent conclusion, It is very livable if you can get a good apartment that you can sustain, but best possible scenario for me would be to get a room mate and share the rent.

Heres the laydown again. Physical Therapist, 70k to 90k annual.

Can i afford to live in Brooklyn, particularly at The Brooklyner a apartment for rent going at $1780 for a nice studio ( i actually would like to live in this studio, im a single guy coming out of college)

EDIT: according to these rent listings: http://www.forrent.com/apartment-com...1000058801.php
there are studios for 1500+ to 1780, yes i know they may seem small but i know how to make the best of a small room, i just like the cozy feeling
111 Lawrence Street, Brooklyn, NY

Q's:

1) can i afford to live in Brooklyn on this
2) can i afford a commute into Manhattan on a daily basis
3) I know its NYC..but what fun is there in this side of Brooklyn
4) Can i afford a commute 4-5 times a week to central park to run
5) Is this a safe area of brooklyn, how are the views of the city considering im at like the 40th floor or something looking at manhattan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 04:49 PM

917 posts, read 2,947,256 times
Did you read the requirements? They won't even consider your application at the Brooklyner without 2 years of rental history and proof of employment and many other things. Also, bear in mind that the higher up you are, the more expensive the studio. Will you have student loans or credit card debt from college? Those will affect your budget as well.

Honestly, instead of looking at apartments, focus on graduating and getting a job in the city. Unless your parents are wealthy and plan on forking over a lot of money to get you set up in a sweet bachelor, you aren't just going to waltz into a job in NYC. You'll need to have enough money saved up for several months rent and a deposit, so you may have to work in your job for a few months to save up.

But anyway, outside of downtown Brooklyn, which is pretty much as expensive as parts of Manhattan, you can live well on your predicted salary in Brooklyn. You could get yourself a nice little one bedroom or great studio right near Prospect Park (which is wonderful, much better than Central Park in my opinion) in Park Slope, which has tons of bars, easy access to the park, and easy access to Manhattan. You can live in Brooklyn pretty decently on 70k since everything, including food, tends to be a bit cheaper. It will also matter where you end up working since you can get to parts of Manhattan in 10 minutes, while it can take well over an hour to get to other parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City