Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 11:29 PM

3 posts, read 17,052 times

Advertisements

hi my parent's are moving to a new house in bayside around bell blvd, however that also means they have to switch their usual routes to the city.

i only took the Q30 to around francis lewis blvd and haven't really gotten pass that, so my own experience are pretty limited, you see i'm a bit concern about my parent's well being since i keep hearing how shady and bad things happens in Jamaica. and on top of that both of my parents are in their 50's and no way would they be able to defend themselves if anything happens, i'm currently trying to figure out if there is any alternative traveling methods but all other options would not be sufficient enough to pursue my parents. as for their traveling time its usually around 7-8 am and 5-7 or 8 pm. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: i would also like to point out my family are not african american, i don't know if that would lower or heighten the chance of anything happening, again any input would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 12:28 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
The F train is relatively safe subway line in general.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:30 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
That last comment kind of gives the impression that you've been listening to too many stories about the subway. The F line is OK. If you're more worried than most straphangers, make sure you ride in the car with the conductor (that'll be the fifth car back from the front of the train).

Old 02-23-2010, 07:56 AM

203 posts, read 664,706 times
The F train isn't bad...the "Jamaica" that you hear about is the part that is farther south. The area on the last stop of the F train north of Hillside Ave actually is Jamaica Estates...some really nice houses there!
It seems like a long commute to take the bus to the F. I guess its possible to take LIRR, its right on Bell Blvd though it is more expensive. Another option is an express bus to manhattan or a bus to Main St Flushing and take the 7 train.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops99 View Post
The F train isn't bad...the "Jamaica" that you hear about is the part that is farther south. The area on the last stop of the F train north of Hillside Ave actually is Jamaica Estates...some really nice houses there!
It seems like a long commute to take the bus to the F. I guess its possible to take LIRR, its right on Bell Blvd though it is more expensive. Another option is an express bus to manhattan or a bus to Main St Flushing and take the 7 train.
thanks for all the info guys,

can you tell me a bit more about the express bus? i used to live around the great neck area and had always heard about this express bus, where is it and how much is it. again thanks for all the replies guys.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:11 PM

283 posts, read 521,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops99 View Post
There's LIRR stations relatively close to the last F train stop at Jamaica Center and in Queens Village and St. Albans so why should someone who lives in Jamaica go to all the way Bell Blvd. in Bayside to take the LIRR? Taking the bus to Flushing to get on the 7 train doesn't make sense either.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:24 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,891,482 times
Looks like the closest Express bus for your area would be the QM3 on Northern - Let just say you're in an area were I would invest in the Express Bus or LIRR over Bus to Subway commuting.

The Express buses cost 5.50 on a metrocard and you still get a free transfer since you will need to transfer at Bell and Northern to from the Express bus to the Q31 to/from home. Since your close to the end of the line and Express Buses are higher fare I wouldn't worry about not getting a seat, Express buses will typically look like 'Greyhound' styled coaches some time they will run a city bus if no coaches are left, but that very blue moon-ish.

Here is the Queens section of the MTA for the Q31 (under the Local) and the QM3 (under Express).

MTA/New York City Transit Queens Bus Schedules

Old 02-23-2010, 04:03 PM

it seems my parents will be taking the q30, i read somewhere if you take the q30 you'll likely end up on 179st? and take the f train from there? or was it 169 street.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:14 AM

203 posts, read 664,706 times
Quote:
There's LIRR stations relatively close to the last F train stop at Jamaica Center and in Queens Village and St. Albans so why should someone who lives in Jamaica go to all the way Bell Blvd. in Bayside to take the LIRR? Taking the bus to Flushing to get on the 7 train doesn't make sense either.
The OP's parents live in Bayside and she was asking about taking a bus from bayside to Jamaica to transfer to the F.

The express bus is probably more comfortable and possibly faster depending on traffic and where your parents work/live. I guess its up to them to determine which route is better. But as to safety, I'd say that area is fine...a lot of people there. Also, I don't really know why it would make a difference in safety whether they're african american or not...just saying...

Old 02-24-2010, 05:49 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kckyle View Post
it seems my parents will be taking the q30, i read somewhere if you take the q30 you'll likely end up on 179st? and take the f train from there? or was it 169 street.
I don't understand why anyone would have to "read somewhere" that a bus goes to a certain location. Get an official MTA bus map for the borough of Queens (they're free), and then you'll know exactly where all the buses go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City