Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 06:10 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times

Advertisements

Twice in one month??? That's gotta be a record for NYC schools!

When was the last time NYC closed the schools for snow??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 06:17 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
To me, these school closings make no sense in retrospect.. I remember when I was a kid they would NEVER close school, even when we had that huge blizzard.. I mean, really, there shouldn't be school.. if you watch the news all sorts of bad things are happening, lol.. cars that can't see the road driving onto the sidewalk, trees falling.. just makes me wonder a bit though

Old 02-26-2010, 06:44 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
To me, these school closings make no sense in retrospect....
I agree and I am a teacher who just got a 3 day weekend.Everything is so over hyped on TV that people are terrified to budge.It's ridiculous.
I think there should be a policy that the schools never close, even if only a small percentage of teachers and students get there and the school becomes a virtual day care center.It gets too difficult for a lot of families and adds chaos to chaos.

A little secret..... one of the biggest reasons for more snow days is the fact that most NYC teachers no longer live in NYC and they start whining about having to drive to work before the first flakes fall.... and they want to leave in the middle of the day if it starts snowing during school.Really burns me up.

In the old days,one of the reasons why schools never closed was because all of teachers lived in the city,many in the same neighborhoods as their school.We have the best public transit system in the country and there is no reason for people not to get to work even if they are late.

The reason why there used to be a rule that teachers,firemen , cops and transit workers had to live in the city was because they were considered "essential services" that had to go on no matter what.

Yesterday , a lot of the teachers in my school kept waiting(starting at 8:00 am) for the mayor to announce early closure and a snow day for today and I was thrilled in the afternoon( and last eve) when he announced that he had no intention of closing the schools.What a disappointment to hear this morning that he had succumbed to the hysteria.

Now your tax dollars go to pay city workers who live( and spend most of their income) outside the city and won't come to work if it is too inconvenient.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-26-2010 at 06:56 AM..

Old 02-26-2010, 07:52 AM

917 posts, read 2,947,256 times
I have a part time job working with NYC schools- our office is technically closed today but I'm still at work catching up on all the things I need to do (and posting on CD because the phone hasn't rung once all morning). When school is in session, I can't get any work done because the phone never stops ringing, so I'm glad I get a day to catch up on all my work.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:06 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
They are having a News briefing with the Mayor and his top aides on TV. Bloomberg needs to work on his spanish,lol.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:14 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
There have been 6 snow closures in 36 years; 3 of them in the last 2 years. This is really nice for us teachers. Just maybe they're actually considering us teachers who drive in 20+ miles to work. Kids won't learn if a lot of teachers are out.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:17 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I agree and I am a teacher who just got a 3 day weekend.Everything is so over hyped on TV that people are terrified to budge.It's ridiculous.
I think there should be a policy that the schools never close, even if only a small percentage of teachers and students get there and the school becomes a virtual day care center.It gets too difficult for a lot of families and adds chaos to chaos.

A little secret..... one of the biggest reasons for more snow days is the fact that most NYC teachers no longer live in NYC and they start whining about having to drive to work before the first flakes fall.... and they want to leave in the middle of the day if it starts snowing during school.Really burns me up.

In the old days,one of the reasons why schools never closed was because all of teachers lived in the city,many in the same neighborhoods as their school.We have the best public transit system in the country and there is no reason for people not to get to work even if they are late.

The reason why there used to be a rule that teachers,firemen , cops and transit workers had to live in the city was because they were considered "essential services" that had to go on no matter what.

Yesterday , a lot of the teachers in my school kept waiting(starting at 8:00 am) for the mayor to announce early closure and a snow day for today and I was thrilled in the afternoon( and last eve) when he announced that he had no intention of closing the schools.What a disappointment to hear this morning that he had succumbed to the hysteria.

Now your tax dollars go to pay city workers who live( and spend most of their income) outside the city and won't come to work if it is too inconvenient.

Mod cut What teacher says they want to go to school in a snow storm??? You really need to think about us who drive in from the suburbs. Luckily for us on Long Island, it isn't nearly as bad as the other suburbs. How are we supposed to drive if our roads aren't plowed, the car doors are iced and we can't open them, etc? Sorry, but a lot of us aren't going to risk our lives to work for one day. Sometimes you have to be concerned about your own safety over working.

And no, no one is going to force us to live in the city. That plan will never work.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-26-2010 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: Personal attack (also doesn't make English sense).

Old 02-26-2010, 08:29 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
They would get $ for each kid that showed up, so they would keep the schools open until about 10 or 10:30, then send us all home. I used to go to school, then have about an hour or more walk home through huge snow drifts! I could never understand that when I was a kid. It is definitely safer to close the schools.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:34 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Mod cut What teacher says they want to go to school in a snow storm??? You really need to think about us who drive in from the suburbs. Luckily for us on Long Island, it isn't nearly as bad as the other suburbs. How are we supposed to drive if our roads aren't plowed, the car doors are iced and we can't open them, etc? Sorry, but a lot of us aren't going to risk our lives to work for one day. Sometimes you have to be concerned about your own safety over working.

And no, no one is going to force us to live in the city. That plan will never work.
Relax,Rachael. I am not suggesting that you recklessly risk your life but I don't think that's really the case anyway.Millions of commuters who don't have an option get into the city no matter what.They get up earlier,do whatever they have to do to get their cars cleared off and running and leave lots of extra time and or switch to public transportation.They may have to leave home earlier and still get to work late but they get there.The city is not at a standstill.
What about all the people who would go to work if their kids were in school but who are forced to take a day off WITHOUT PAY because the schools are closed?We get paid for "snow days",they don't.
Perhaps there could be a policy where the schools are always open but on days like this the teachers who live in the city are expected to be there to hold the fort and teachers who think it's too difficult have the option of taking one of their alloted personal days... no questions asked.You are right,the kids wouldn't learn much but at least their parents would be able to go to work.
Something tells me however that if a lot of the teachers from outside the city had to take one of their personal days they would somehow be more inclined to make the effort and get to work.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:42 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Until when it is supposed to snow? I'm going to NYC soon, and I don't want to be stuck with the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City