Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:25 AM

84 posts, read 195,172 times

Advertisements

From the early 80's to the early 90's the lower east side, particularly alphabet city, was in community of creativity and lawlessness, famed for art, music, and revolutionary minds.

The L.E.S. was the most unique community in all of manhattan. You could really be anyone you wanted in this extremely cheap section of the city. It was almost like land of the misfit toys. Punk Rockers, Skinheads, Gays, Drag Queens, Anarchists, Homelessness, Hispanics, and Squatters. it was just all different sorts of non-conformists all in one area. G.G. Allin, Michael Alig's notorious "Club Kids", Artists of all forms.

I mean, in this day and age you will never see a community so strong as to rebel against the police like at the Tompkins Square Park Police Riot. Everyone is just like a robot now.

In the past, 15 years all the creativity and uniqueness of the L.E.S has been forced out by gentrification and all the expensive apartments and condo's. Its all about Starbucks's and other corporations. The L.E.S. is now a lost place that has been supplanted by a neighborhood that is rather sterile and uninspiring. It really is such a boring and uncreative place now. Its really sad to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 03:54 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,882 times
Same could be said about a lot of neighborhoods in NYC. I'd rather have the yuppies and Starbucks instead of the used needles and dead bodies.

Edit: Starbucks provides a valuable service (free use of their bathrooms) to the community. Since I don't drink coffee I'll usually buy a water from them to show my appreciation of their rather liberal restroom policy.

Last edited by gvillager; 02-27-2010 at 05:21 PM..

Old 02-27-2010, 03:57 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Nowadays, to find an area that cheap you probably have to move at least 50 miles out of Manhattan......but iGlenn's point is well taken to, there's a reason it was so cheap to live by Manhattan standards.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:10 PM

172 posts, read 273,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W33ZER View Post
From the early 80's to the early 90's the lower east side, particularly alphabet city, was in community of creativity and lawlessness, famed for art, music, and revolutionary minds.

The L.E.S. was the most unique community in all of manhattan. You could really be anyone you wanted in this extremely cheap section of the city. It was almost like land of the misfit toys. Punk Rockers, Skinheads, Gays, Drag Queens, Anarchists, Homelessness, Hispanics, and Squatters. it was just all different sorts of non-conformists all in one area. G.G. Allin, Michael Alig's notorious "Club Kids", Artists of all forms.

I mean, in this day and age you will never see a community so strong as to rebel against the police like at the Tompkins Square Park Police Riot. Everyone is just like a robot now.

In the past, 15 years all the creativity and uniqueness of the L.E.S has been forced out by gentrification and all the expensive apartments and condo's. Its all about Starbucks's and other corporations. The L.E.S. is now a lost place that has been supplanted by a neighborhood that is rather sterile and uninspiring. It really is such a boring and uncreative place now. Its really sad to see.
The LES was a complete and utter dump 15 years ago.

I'm glad the yuppies and hipsters are cleaning it up.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:54 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
I'd rather have the yuppies and Starbucks instead of the used needles and dead bodies.

I totally agree. I'd rather see a Manhattan of working people who care about themselves and their surroundings rather than a bunch of drug-addicted scum sucking off the system.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:29 PM

84 posts, read 195,172 times
But it is completely conformist and cookie-cutter now. Why would you want everyone as a complete robot these days?

Old 02-27-2010, 08:46 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,882 times
Quote:
But it is completely conformist and cookie-cutter now. Why would you want everyone as a complete robot these days?
You call them robots while others may just call them normal.

Mod cut

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-28-2010 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: No signatures.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:17 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:

Yeah, I really miss the junkies, hookers, drug dealers, murders, stabbings, needles on the street...

Old 02-27-2010, 10:56 PM

108 posts, read 570,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
Same could be said about a lot of neighborhoods in NYC. I'd rather have the yuppies and Starbucks instead of the used needles and dead bodies.

Edit: Starbucks provides a valuable service (free use of their bathrooms) to the community. Since I don't drink coffee I'll usually buy a water from them to show my appreciation of their rather liberal restroom policy.
really? starbucks lets anyone walk into their shop and freely use their restrooms?

Old 02-27-2010, 11:54 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
The LES still has a lot of character and a whole 'lotta grit. When I read your post, I could have thought you were talking about the UES!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City