Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 03:03 AM

966 posts, read 2,434,829 times

Advertisements

Especially in terms of affordability, safety, and culture (i.e. artistic venues, diversity, atmosphere/vibe)? What little I've heard and read of SoBro seems to indicate that it has become an enclave or community for visual artists or economic "refugees" from SoHo or the downtown area. What about venues for poets and musicians? Cafes, lounges, restaurants, bookstore cafes, etc.? Where exactly is SoBro? So many questions.

Still exploring the possibility of returning to NYC.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:47 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,961,227 times
SoBro is just the real estate term for South Bronx now to make it sound more "hip".. I don't know if I'd go as far as to say it's enclave for downtown residents, but it's on the rise.. just not there yet, but positive steps are being made.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:15 AM

9,238 posts, read 23,966,138 times
It's a generic term for South Bronx and includes many different neighborhoods.
You might want to check out SobroGuy's thread on Woodstock, which is one of those neighborhoods.
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ock-bronx.html

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-01-2010 at 10:25 AM..

Old 03-01-2010, 11:58 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,630,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Especially in terms of affordability, safety, and culture (i.e. artistic venues, diversity, atmosphere/vibe)? What little I've heard and read of SoBro seems to indicate that it has become an enclave or community for visual artists or economic "refugees" from SoHo or the downtown area. What about venues for poets and musicians? Cafes, lounges, restaurants, bookstore cafes, etc.? Where exactly is SoBro? So many questions.

Thank you.
Send a direct message to SobroGuy. He lives in the area and frequents the restaurants/bars around there.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:10 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,308,697 times
I would not go as far as to say it is a thriving community of artists, as compared to other parts of the city like Williamsburg, but I will say it has a growing artist community, and local activists/artists are driving much of the changes in the community. Affordability and proximity to Manhattan are two of the area's biggest draws, and while there is a growing enclave of transplants from the city, the bulk of the population is people of color.

There are a few bars/restaurants that cater to the artist population, like Bruckner Bar and Grill, The Gallery, Alexander's Cafe, and also the Pregones Theater. There is a South Bronx Cultural trolley that takes you to many of the artist locations/exhibits...a great free way to get to know a good portion of what's happening in the SoBro art world. I recommend.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:14 PM

Thanks, everyone. I did wonder if SoBro even existed. I sensed some controversy. Just wondering where I could live if I move back to NYC.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would not go as far as to say it is a thriving community of artists, as compared to other parts of the city like Williamsburg, but I will say it has a growing artist community, and local activists/artists are driving much of the changes in the community. Affordability and proximity to Manhattan are two of the area's biggest draws, and while there is a growing enclave of transplants from the city, the bulk of the population is people of color.

There are a few bars/restaurants that cater to the artist population, like Bruckner Bar and Grill, The Gallery, Alexander's Cafe, and also the Pregones Theater. There is a South Bronx Cultural trolley that takes you to many of the artist locations/exhibits...a great free way to get to know a good portion of what's happening in the SoBro art world. I recommend.
Hey SobroGuy, thanks a lot. You beat me to the punch.

Still, the question remains (everyone): Where in NYC could I live if I were to return? I am looking for a neighborhood with a reasonable commute to Manhattan (to work). With a salary of about $45,000/yr (in a good year with higher college enrollments $48,000), I need an apartment with a reasonable rent of between $900 and $1,000 (tops). I also want to actually live in a neighborhood where there are other artists (poets, writers, performers, visual artists, etc.) and artistic venues within easy reach. I may be asking for too much here, but what the heck? If I move back to NYC, I really don't want to live in Manhattan--unless I could live in the Village. Yeah, right...

Suggestions?

Old 03-01-2010, 03:04 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,308,697 times
That's a tough one...you can just pick a place temporarily for a year or so, and scope out neighborhoods when you get here. Then find a place, or maybe even a roomy so you can be in a more ideal location. I am a local Bronx resident, so I am definitely partial to my area, and it does meet most of your needs, so it is worth considering. But with that rent range, it is gonna be tough by yourself....which is why so many people are moving to Mott Haven (SoBro) in the first place.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
That's a tough one...you can just pick a place temporarily for a year or so, and scope out neighborhoods when you get here. Then find a place, or maybe even a roomy so you can be in a more ideal location. I am a local Bronx resident, so I am definitely partial to my area, and it does meet most of your needs, so it is worth considering. But with that rent range, it is gonna be tough by yourself....which is why so many people are moving to Mott Haven (SoBro) in the first place.
Thanks again, SobroGuy. Great suggestions. Just taking it all in. Decisions, decisions...

Old 03-02-2010, 08:48 PM

283 posts, read 519,738 times
I'm going to expound a little bit because posts like this are always filled with sugar coating and real estate-ese:

SoBro is the phony real estate industry name for South Bronx but specifically it's used in reference to the southernmost Port Morris/Mott Haven area.

The neighborhood is a ghetto & IMO no one in their right mind would suggest you move there unless you're a seasoned New Yorker who's used to the streets. I lived in the area for a minute and it's mostly an ugly, dirty, impoverished place that shouldn't be hyped up beyond what it is.The artists and hipsters are almost entirely based on one street (Bruckner Blvd.) which is separated from the rest of the neighorbood by the Major Deegan Expressway. The rest of it is just poor Latinos and blacks.

Affordability - yes. most of the Bronx is affordable relative to the other boroughs. I dont think you could get a place for $1,000 that's anywhere near Manhattan though due to speculative rent increases.

Safety - Not particularly safe. Definetly not a warzone but again if you're not used to being in the hood it can be an intimidating place.

Culture - A small art scene on Bruckner is what most of the area buzz is based around. Most of the real culture there is Latin culture but the only artistic venues I know of above Bruckner are Progenes Theater and Longwood Art Gallery further north of Mott Haven. The Bronx Museum of the Arts too. Bruckner has Haven Art Gallery and another gallery next to the hipster-heavy Bar & Grill under the Third Avenue bridge. Those places are anomalies though. It's not really an art-centric area

Diversity - practically speaking, the area is 90% poor people and 99% of them are Puerto Rican, Dominican, Mexican & Black.

Atmosphere/Vibe - a few nice restaurants, bars and clubs scattered here and here but most of the neighorborhood vibe is just poverty/depression. For every Pio Pio, Bruckner Bar & Grill or Alexander's Cafe there's 3 or 4 run down Chinese or fried chicken spots.

A lot of the South Bronx is making steady progress but I dunno, Mott Haven looks like it's stuck the same rut to me. There's still abandoned lots that don't look like they'll be built on anytime soon. the only recent construction I can think of is that big HPD apartment building coming up next to the Willis Ave bridge. I really don't get the hype about it other than the proximity to Manhattan. There's hardly anything appealing about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City