U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 09:46 PM

16 posts, read 40,932 times

Advertisements

Hello all:
I have a question on request from my girlfriend's father after my recent visit to NY. How many theaters (live performance theaters, operas are included) are there in all of NYC? If the exact answer isn't clear, how could I research such a number? I really enjoyed NY's Metropolitan Museum of Art and walking along Fifth Avenue, I can really only describe it as "magnificent".

Thanks for helping me out with this tough question!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 06:14 AM

917 posts, read 2,810,877 times
I don't know that you could ever pin down an exact number because performance venues can vary. When you get down to the level of Off Off Broadway productions, you can find them in bars, clubs, restaurant, etc., not just traditional theaters. I've personally worked in or seen shows in over 40 different venues in the last year and a half, and I can think of dozens more places to go.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:35 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,763,424 times
Hundreds, but as StinaTado pointed out, it's impossible to provide a definitive list as venues change all the time. "The Boys in the Band" is having a major Off-Broadway revival in an apartment (albeit a very large one).

Time Out currently lists 161 plays/musicals being performed in the city this week. It's not a complete list. I imagine the true number is over 200. That doesn't include opera, dance or academic performances. If you through in classical music venues (frequently performed in churches) and popular music venues, you'd easily reach 2000+.

For a partial list of theater venues see the nytheatre.com Web site (http://www.nytheatre.com/nytheatre/b....php?s=a&d=yes). It's not exhaustive, but it's the most comprehensive list I know.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:12 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,640,833 times
I saw a play in a basement once!

Old 03-03-2010, 05:32 PM

10,497 posts, read 10,922,041 times
This is impossible to tally. A lot of A+ entertaiment is not held in a stand-alone theater or concert hall, but in auditorium type settings, such as colleges, the 92nd Street Y, libraries such as the Performing Arts Library at Lincoln Center, the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Then there are churches such as St. John the Divine which also offers first-rate concerts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>