Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:36 AM

16 posts, read 56,016 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a condo on Kent Ave in North Wlliamsburg.
My main concern is safety. Is it safe to walk around 9-10 pm at night?
How about walking back home from a restaurant/bar around 11-12pm?
I'm a young female.
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 09:16 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashostik View Post
I'm looking to buy a condo on Kent Ave in North Wlliamsburg.
My main concern is safety. Is it safe to walk around 9-10 pm at night?
How about walking back home from a restaurant/bar around 11-12pm?
I'm a young female.
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Yes. You're basically in one of the safest nabes around. There aren't that many people walking around Kent Avenue, but it's far from deserted and you will probably be close to streets that see some activity 24 hours a night. You'll be fine, and if you want, I nominate myself to move in with you if you're still nervous.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:22 AM

Haha thanks Actually it would be nice to meet with a local. But i do want to hear more opinions! What freaks me out is all the deserted warehouses and lots of construction…. And what about those drunks outside the bars? I like drinking myself but its different when you walk from work late at night and somebody whistles or tries to start a conversation.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:35 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
I like drinking myself but its different when you walk from work late at night and somebody whistles or tries to start a conversation. [/font][/color]
If that is a concern of yours I wouldn't bother moving to the city. I got whistled at when i walk to school at 8:30 AM. It's something that goes on everywhere. Just keep walking and they will whistle at the next girl.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
A lot of those warehouses have found new lives as pubs, lofts, studios for lofts, and bowling alley (seriously--The Gutter on North 14th St between Wythe and Berry; Brooklyn Bowl on Wythe between North 11th and North 12th), so there's still a good bit of life there. The drunks aren't bad and are mostly in packs chitchatting amongst themselves; I've never really seen anything terrible worth noting and I've been in Williamsburg off and on for the last two years.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:44 AM

OhioGirl22 - i live in Brooklyn right now. Trust me i get whistled at enough at any hour of the day. One thing you get a "hi baby how u doin?" another is 3 guys corner you in the dark. it can happen anywhere in NYC the question is does it happen a lot or not in NWB

Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
I lived right there for many years until recently.Of all the reasons why I grew to hate and had to leave that neighborhood, lack of safety was not one.It is a very safe neighborhood.
There are two things you might want to consider however before you make a final decision if you haven't already.
The cat calling that you mention is in fact very indicative of the neighborhood atmosphere.It's not a safety thing but it just becomes a real annoyance.Living in Williamsburg can become almost a nightmare of being trapped in a theme park that is a combination of the worst of hipster culture,a frat house and Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras, except it is all day and all night ,every day,every week all year round.It's one thing to go to Mardi Gras once in a while or to a theme park now and then but it is quite another thing to live in one all the time.The people on this bus will be your neighbors and the mentality on this bus will be your neighborhood: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/fa...0bus%20&st=cse
And the streets in Williamsburg always seem to look like Bourbon Street on the morning after fat tuesday,just before they have started to clean up.
If you are 19 it's one thing,if you are over 25 your stay may be short.

Other thing is all of the really shoddy construction that went into all of those new condos in the last 5 years.I watched it all happening and would be afraid to buy in any of those projects.I have heard from friends who still live there that a lot of the buildings are already exhibiting major structural problems,leaks,etc.Try to find out as much as you can.

I actually enjoy going back to my old neighborhood and hanging out with friends once in a while but every time I do I leave thankful that I don't have to live there any more.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-03-2010 at 10:52 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 11:08 AM

961 posts, read 2,463,738 times
got chased out by a wild pack of hipsters once, lol jk, but seriously it is one of the safer neighborhoods in brooklyn. Just don't mock them like I do.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:47 PM

Bluedog2 - thanks for the insight, this is exactly how i feel and i've been to New Orleans and truth be told i hated it. I'm 28 btw . Its a tough decision becuase i love the condo its close to my work as opposed to where i live now but yea it is a new construction and i don't like the neighborhood vibe. I just can't find a place where i want to live. I want a balcony with a view and i want a nice area and i want no more than 30 mins from midtown on the train.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:13 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Bluedog2 - thanks for the insight, this is exactly how i feel and i've been to New Orleans and truth be told i hated it. I'm 28 btw . Its a tough decision becuase i love the condo its close to my work as opposed to where i live now but yea it is a new construction and i don't like the neighborhood vibe. I just can't find a place where i want to live. I want a balcony with a view and i want a nice area and i want no more than 30 mins from midtown on the train.
try Astoria. It's a much more neighborhood-y place and extremely convenient to midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City