Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,568 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My partner has been offered a job in Manhattan. It comes with an apartment so we wouldn't need to worry about that. From reading other posts it seems that is the biggest obstacle. We live in London now and i have lived here all my life, bustling city life is in my blood. I think it would be a great adventure for me and my family, I also have a 6 year old.
Any thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 11:37 AM

16 posts, read 56,030 times
Where is the apartment?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:40 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
What is your question?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,568 times
Don't know where the apartment is yet, early days really. I don't really have a question, just want to get a feel of what people who know Manhattan think about the city

Old 03-04-2010, 04:05 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Sounds like a superlative opportunity. Why wouldn't you jump on it? As to what most New Yorkers think, I believe most of them, the real ones, think NYC is the greatest place there is. Like London, it's a world-class city. You might want to leaf through New York magazine to get a feel for what goes on here.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:43 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Honestly most NY'ers think its the best thing since sliced bread while most out-of-towners think you'd have to be crazy to live there, BUT if it's part of the gig, that's more than half the battle.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:46 AM

154 posts, read 535,920 times
i suggest that you gather as much info about NYC as you can, where all the neighbourhoods are, how the subway system works, things you can do with your partner and your child etc...

You can find alot of these things on this forum, just hit the search button in the top right corner.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:50 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
Not for nothing but London isn't anywhere near as bustling as NYC. London is the population of Chicago and although it's a vast city, it's pretty laid back - in NYC you have to walk fast or you will be trampled. NYC is closer to the pace of Tokyo. You also have to take into account the major cultural differences between America and the UK. You should be concerned about getting your child into a good school in the City. 6 year olds and NYC generally don't mix unless you're very wealthy and can afford a private school. NY is very dog eat dog and you might want to consider how your young child is going to adjust to such a big change.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:41 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
6 year olds and NYC generally don't mix unless you're very wealthy and can afford a private school. NY is very dog eat dog and you might want to consider how your young child is going to adjust to such a big change.
This is utter nonsense. Many, MANY children grow up in NYC and love it. Everyone in my family included. There is SO much to do in NYC and, frankly, it's just as child-friendly as London. And London is every bit as busy as NYC - I've lived in both. There are tons of museums, parks, playgrounds and activities geared towards children here.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:21 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
I wouldn't say it's utter nonsense. The average family can't just move to Manhattan with a 6 year old and provide a comfortable environment for that child to grow up in - I thought that was pretty obvious? If you have money and can afford to live in a good neighborhood with a big enough apartment near good schools that's a different story, which is the caveat I was trying to make.

There's no way NYC is as child friendly as London. London is no where near as dense, crowded or busy, that's a fact. London has much better schools, more space, slower pace, more recreational space, less crime, etc. I'm not comparing the experience of wealthy kids, because that's atypical. If you have money, anywhere is easy to grow up.

The bottom line is schools are terrible in much of NYC and if you're going to be living in the city, you have to have good money to provide all of the elements for a 6 year old child to grow up well - you obviously had these resources - many MANY kids in the City don't - so really there's nothing to argue about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City