Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:05 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If you're adventurous, you can try Flushing in Queens to see what a truly huge Chinatown looks like. There's a huge variety of ethnic foods to be had there (Chinese people are actually a motley collection of a lot of semi-related peoples--plus there's a lot of Korean food there, too).

On that same trip, you can also check out Flushing Meadows-Corona Park for the remnants of the two World's Fair that took place there as well as the Queens Museum of Art which features a small-scale model of the entire city of New York from a bird's eye view. You might line things up to catch Queens Theatre in the Park QUEENS THEATRE IN THE PARK (I don't think they have things that far in advance yet) or a Mets game. Maybe.

Flushing is pretty much awesome.
In that general vicinity, you could also go to the Louis Armstrong Museum (it's more of a house tour). Also, I think there is a website called something like Bridge and Tunnel that will give you info on different neighborhoods. In the one on Corona, it should mention "Mama's" Deli which I think also goes by the name of Leo Laticini -- could have that info wrong so def. check.

Tortilleria Nixtamal is near there too if you want to try a home-made tortilla made with masa (very unusual). The fish tacos are excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 08:25 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,272 times
kemcnyc and OyCrumbler are right on the money. I highly recommend their suggestions as well as the Ice King of Cornona and surrounding area. Brooklyn is fascinating and so charming too. I like Prospect Park.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:31 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times
Stroll neighborhoods. Check out DUMBO, Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill in Brooklyn; Astoria, Jackson Heights in Queens; Chelsea, Morningside Heights, Lower East in Manhattan.

The Rubin Museum of Himalayan/Tibetan art & culture is superb in Chelsea.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:30 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctovt View Post
The Cloisters at the tip of Manhattan has one of the best collections of european medieval art and architecture in the USA.You would never know you were in NYC up there. Also NY Botanical Gardens in the Bronx near The Bronx Zoo..
definitely! just taking a bike ride through Fort Tryon park is amazing. killer views of the Hudson River too

http://enriquetorremolina.files.word...tryon-park.jpg

Old 03-19-2010, 12:08 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Also, the new amusement park in Coney Island should be open by the time you get there. You can enjoy the rides there, relax at the beach a bit, go to the aquarium, and then go a bit east to Brighton Beach where you'll find a good lot of Ukrainian and Russian goods and eats. It could be a pretty complete day topped off with a burlesque show. If you so happen to have your trip delayed to the second half of June, you can also catch a Cyclones game and the Mermaid Parade.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:05 PM

315 posts, read 871,492 times
Central Park - Visitors Guide to Central Park

There are a million things and activities happening in Central park- especially in the spring. Many are free and for a small fee you might catch a concert ,the CP zoo is always kool, -there is too much going on to type out. Maybe the above link will help ya out with schedules and such
enjoy

Old 03-21-2010, 11:47 PM

144 posts, read 463,960 times
go to burnsomedust.com and try one of their long walks, or go to spring creek, marine park, or the canarise pier

Old 03-22-2010, 12:02 AM

170 posts, read 826,881 times
My favorite NYC summer hangout is the Boat Basin Cafe. It's this beautiful outdoor bar and restaurant right on the Hudson River at 79th Street. It's so hidden away that almost nobody I know has ever heard of it. The food is very basic (think sports bar food, i.e. burgers and sandwiches) but they have several beers and LOTS of frozen drinks (delicious, strong margaritas!). The location itself is BEAUTIFUL, and you can relax with friends, enjoy a beautiful sunset over the Hudson river, and enjoy a calm escape from the craziness of the city.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:20 PM

747 posts, read 2,759,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctovt View Post
The Cloisters at the tip of Manhattan has one of the best collections of european medieval art and architecture in the USA.You would never know you were in NYC up there.
x3

Old 03-27-2010, 06:53 AM

155 posts, read 445,605 times
Prospect Park in Brooklyn, for my money nicer than Central Park and much more user-friendly. Maybe not "off the beaten path" per se, but probably for your average tourist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City