Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:21 PM

34 posts, read 149,899 times

Advertisements

I've been to NYC a few times before, doing the more typical New York City tourist stuff. I was wondering if any of you locals could give me the heads up on what to do when I'm in town the first week in June. So if anybody can give me tips on what to do. Music, films, restaurants. etc. I'm from the midwest so I'm sure guys could spout off stuff that I've never even thought about.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 12:25 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,843 times
Default Belmont stakes

You could go to a classic horse race. The Belmont stakes is June 5th. General admission is $2. There is a LIRR train station right at the track.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:34 PM

281 posts, read 1,237,321 times
The Cloisters at the tip of Manhattan has one of the best collections of european medieval art and architecture in the USA.You would never know you were in NYC up there. Also NY Botanical Gardens in the Bronx near The Bronx Zoo..

Old 03-12-2010, 11:44 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
You could visit the Paley Center for Media and watch programs from its collection of television and radio. There are numerous walking tours around the city as well, some free, and some with a fee that explore hidden aspects of New York in depth, something that a tourist overview does not accomplish.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-13-2010, 08:48 AM

745 posts, read 1,437,732 times
I concur on the Cloisters Museum!

Can also try the Tenement Museum on the lower East Side. Very interesting.

Can also try a walk around Greenpoint Brooklyn or Brighton Beach. These are Polish and Russian neighborhoods (respectively).

Aurthur Avenue in the Bronx is like a Little Italy.... but less of a touristy feel than the Manhattan version.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:24 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times
I always think people who peruse guidebooks, so they have a sense of what's available. Restaurants, of course, are endless. Have you been to the smaller museums, such as the Frick? For movies, of course, you'd check the listings at the time, but you might like the American Museum of the Moving Image and see what's playing there. In June, it might be time for the Philharmonic concerts in the Park, too.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:41 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I suggest the Museum of the City of NY (see Museum of the City of New York ).

Old 03-15-2010, 08:33 PM

155 posts, read 445,423 times
I'd recommend just going to a really random neighborhood to get a feel for non-touristy areas. Sheepshead Bay is a very nice neighborhood. You can take the B or the Q straight from Manhattan, and maybe check out Coney Island while you're at it. Some neighborhoods might seem a little boring, like Gravesend, Midwood, and a bunch in Queens, but like I said, definitely not touristy.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:24 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
My favorite restaurants are Mesa Grill (Bobby Flay's restaurant), Pampano(upscale mexican seafood and fish), Meskerem (Ethiopian - it's fabulous - as long as you like a little adventure), Chola (great Indian food), and Nobu (asian fusion).
Are you going to see any Broadway shows? I'd recommend Memphis - it's terrific!
One of my favorite places to go to is the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I know it's touristy or whatever - but I just love it there.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:35 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
If you're adventurous, you can try Flushing in Queens to see what a truly huge Chinatown looks like. There's a huge variety of ethnic foods to be had there (Chinese people are actually a motley collection of a lot of semi-related peoples--plus there's a lot of Korean food there, too).

On that same trip, you can also check out Flushing Meadows-Corona Park for the remnants of the two World's Fair that took place there as well as the Queens Museum of Art which features a small-scale model of the entire city of New York from a bird's eye view. You might line things up to catch Queens Theatre in the Park QUEENS THEATRE IN THE PARK (I don't think they have things that far in advance yet) or a Mets game. Maybe.

Flushing is pretty much awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City