Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 06:36 AM

20 posts, read 113,651 times

Advertisements

How about walking from the subway station to condos on 41st Ave and 28th St at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 08:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
That's directly across the street from the train station. Something tells me you won't have any problem making that walk--even at 3:00 in the morning! (It does raise the question, however, of why you would even consider living somewhere you didn't think was safe. Instead of asking people how the neighborhood is, go there and check it out with your own eyes. Feeling "safe" is very subjective!)

Old 03-12-2010, 09:36 AM

30 posts, read 221,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's directly across the street from the train station. Something tells me you won't have any problem making that walk--even at 3:00 in the morning! (It does raise the question, however, of why you would even consider living somewhere you didn't think was safe. Instead of asking people how the neighborhood is, go there and check it out with your own eyes. Feeling "safe" is very subjective!)
very well put

Old 03-12-2010, 09:55 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,441 times
You'll be fine.. just be aware that you're in very close proximity to Queensbridge, and while I don't find this to be a problem, some people are very uncomfortable with projects. Also, it's not really the most exciting place to live around, it's a little dingy.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:38 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,569,639 times
Quote:
Feeling "safe" is very subjective!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
some people are very uncomfortable with projects.
Great comments.

At the risk of being politically incorrect, but I believe, factually correct, I'd like to assert that indeed both the "comfort" factor and the "feeling safe" factor depend on one's personal demographics. There are indeed cases in pockets across Queens, NYC, to be sure, the entire USA, where there's a universal feeling of apprehension when in specific locales. On the other hand, many times some areas considered sketchy by some are quite reasonably okay with others.

Sometimes, one's evaluation is influenced by one's income level, occupation, age, religion, ethnicity, race and whether attributes present in the neighborhood are compatible with one's own profile.

Queensboro Plaza might be considered desirable, comfortable, and safe by some because it's a major transit point in the NYC subway/bus system and is adjacent to the burgeoning developments recently undertaken in the LIC area - condos, waterfront units, dining, etc. On the other hand, many are frenetic to be anywhere near public housing projects.

As Fred points out, the best way to evaluate is to walk aroung the neighborhood and vicinity. Take someone along with you...and I suggest that the OP check it out both in the daytime and at night if he/she plans to reside there.

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 03-12-2010 at 10:54 AM..

Old 03-12-2010, 07:00 PM

169 posts, read 489,726 times
Isn't Queensbridge one of the worst housing projects in the city?...I grew up not too far from there...it was pretty rough back in the 80's and 1990's....cleaned up a little in the 2000's....but being so close to Queensbridge......not for me, anyway.

Good luck, OP

Old 03-12-2010, 07:14 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa809 View Post
Isn't Queensbridge one of the worst housing projects in the city?...I grew up not too far from there...it was pretty rough back in the 80's and 1990's....cleaned up a little in the 2000's....but being so close to Queensbridge......not for me, anyway.

Good luck, OP
Lol, QB has been okay for quite a while. Some people might still not feel safe around it, but it's really not all that bad anymore.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:59 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
By the way, that condo at 41 Avenue & 28 Street is hardly the only new one to have gone up in that area. There are at least half a dozen of them now. So anyone who moves into any one of them will definitely not be what you used to call an "urban pioneer."

Old 03-14-2010, 09:25 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Quote:
By the way, that condo at 41 Avenue & 28 Street is hardly the only new one to have gone up in that area. There are at least half a dozen of them now. So anyone who moves into any one of them will definitely not be what you used to call an "urban pioneer."
I have also noticed several hotels (maybe 4?) that have gone up in that area as well.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:55 PM

442 posts, read 1,296,544 times
im sick of these are they safe threads. where are these people from? like people are on the corner waiting to shoot any passer-by
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City