Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:38 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,196 times

Advertisements

Anybody have a MAJOR subway annoyance that happens often?

Mine is door cutters!! Subway arrives.... you stand and wait for people to get off and as people are drifting out... BAM two to 3 people inevitably dash in front of everyone standing/ waiting to get on. I am not a seat person so I do not really care as far as that.... I just get irked by the overall complete lack of basic manners. These are adults! Where is their minimum standard of decency? Have they no shame? This kills me. I see it everyday.

Annoyance #2: Arriving on an express/local and as you pull up to the platform.... you see the express/ local that you need across the way. AND... it is not crowded at all. YES !!! Wait.... why is it pulling away before the door opens? WHY?? WHY?? !!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 09:10 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,697 times
1. Begging on the subway, usually by loud-mouthed "representatives" of some bogus homeless organization.

2. People who take up more than two seats, either by sitting with their legs spread (men) or putting shopping bags on the seat next to them (usually women).

3. People who stand in front of the doors and won't move aside to let others exit.

4. People who block the stairs when you're coming out of the subway, usually to check their cellphones.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:18 AM

988 posts, read 3,254,997 times
You already have mine's covered so i'll plagerize off of kemcnyc and stillife!

1. Mine is door cutters!! Subway arrives.... you stand and wait for people to get off and as people are drifting out... BAM two to 3 people inevitably dash in front of everyone standing/ waiting to get on. I am not a seat person so I do not really care as far as that.

2. People who stand in front of the doors and won't move aside to let others exit.

3. People who block the stairs when you're coming out of the subway, usually to check their cellphones.

Ok, here's another 2.

5. High school kids...enough said

4. when i'm working up in the Bronx and the kids constantly make fun of random passengers OUT LOUD, no manners at all nowadays no matter how poor they are perceived.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:34 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
You already have mine's covered so i'll plagerize off of kemcnyc and stillife!

1. Mine is door cutters!! Subway arrives.... you stand and wait for people to get off and as people are drifting out... BAM two to 3 people inevitably dash in front of everyone standing/ waiting to get on. I am not a seat person so I do not really care as far as that.

2. People who stand in front of the doors and won't move aside to let others exit.

3. People who block the stairs when you're coming out of the subway, usually to check their cellphones.

Ok, here's another 2.

5. High school kids...enough said

4. when i'm working up in the Bronx and the kids constantly make fun of random passengers OUT LOUD, no manners at all nowadays no matter how poor they are perceived.

Even if I am not hoping for a seat, I can't stand it when the door cutters (or even the people who were legitimately next to the door when the subway pulls up) push into the car BEFORE the exiting passengers have been able to make it out. It is extremely rude and just slows everything down.

And wow, on #5 - I have never witnessed that and hope I don't have to. I thought loud teenagers were annoying but I didn't realize there are some groups who are making fun of passengers out loud. "Making fun" doesn't seem like the right expression for this.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:41 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,196 times
You just reminded me of another pet peeve!!

The "step in and stop". Person steps in and just steps at the door even though there are 10 people behind trying to get on. It is like "I want to stand by the door so you are all going to have to squeeze in via a 1 foot space between bodies".

Ah.... and the teenagers! Good point. The language. The disrespect. Terrible.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:43 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
My major annoyance at the moment is people who play their music too loud. If you want to play your music so loud why not invest in some good headphones that way I don't have to suffer through your poor taste in music.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:47 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Probably the beggars, the homeless drunks, and foul mouthed kids who are old enough to be sans supervision, but aren't old enough to know how to act like an adult in public.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:18 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,640 times
In no particular order:

1. High School Kids
2. When the train is extremely crowded and there's no more room, but people still try to shove their way inside
3. People who squeeze into the tiny space next to you and then try to take away all of your room
4. People who don't move when you're trying to get off
5. When you're standing in the seat by the door and someone is standing next to you and just leans on you or knocks into you or has a bag thats pressing against your face or something
6. I don't mind the homeless people, I DO mind the people who play music in the train.. I don't want to hear it
7. Service changes and the conductor is mumbling so no one has any idea what is going on
8. Delays in service, whether it be the 7 train never working or the 2 train constantly stopping for ten minutes at each station, or between stations

There's a lot more, but I'll leave it at that, lol.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:35 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
This one is easy, fat people squeezing into a tight space.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:09 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
People with overstuffed backpacks who don't seem to realize that they are taking up space extending another foot or so behind their bodies and you can't squeeze by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City