Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 14,339 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving with my husband and young baby to this street. I hear both good and bad things about the neighborhood. We went and spent some time during the day and felt fine about it. Since we have a young child, we probably won't be riding the subway late so much anymore, but I certainly want the option to be there, anywhere I live, as we can't afford cabs very often. We are a white family, as I'm sure plays into this. My questions are this: how safe is the nostrand ave 3 stop? will our color affect our safety in this neighborhood (i.e. will I be seen as a gentrifying influence by some and be somehow less safe)? and how safe is this area in general? I know no one can answer these questions absolutely for me, and, for the record, I was mugged at gunpoint in "safe" Carroll Gardens nine years ago, and am very aware of my surroundings as a result. I looked up crime stats for Kensington, Ditmas Park, and the Greenwood Cemetary area, and didn't see a huge difference between these areas and Crown Heights. Is the crime reputation of Crown Heights overblown b/c of the racial tensions in the area, or is it for real? Thanks in advance from a really protective mama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:11 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjfs View Post
Thinking of moving with my husband and young baby to this street. I hear both good and bad things about the neighborhood. We went and spent some time during the day and felt fine about it. Since we have a young child, we probably won't be riding the subway late so much anymore, but I certainly want the option to be there, anywhere I live, as we can't afford cabs very often. We are a white family, as I'm sure plays into this. My questions are this: how safe is the nostrand ave 3 stop? will our color affect our safety in this neighborhood (i.e. will I be seen as a gentrifying influence by some and be somehow less safe)? and how safe is this area in general? I know no one can answer these questions absolutely for me, and, for the record, I was mugged at gunpoint in "safe" Carroll Gardens nine years ago, and am very aware of my surroundings as a result. I looked up crime stats for Kensington, Ditmas Park, and the Greenwood Cemetary area, and didn't see a huge difference between these areas and Crown Heights. Is the crime reputation of Crown Heights overblown b/c of the racial tensions in the area, or is it for real? Thanks in advance from a really protective mama.
Well the fact is you are moving to a black area. I am in that area at times and notice that whites are moving in but it is still mostly black. Will your color mean anything. Well to be honest not during the day but at night your color will make you more of a target. I dont know if you are talking about gentrifying in good or bad terms but where you plan to be will nowhere be gentrified. Two years ago 2 cops got shot in that area around nostrand. One of them was killed. Also you may not know this but during labor day it is horrible. They have parades and the noise will drive you crazy. Well i hope that helped a little.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:18 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjfs View Post
from 1 being least dangerous to 10 being most dangerous, the area around nostrand ave train station on the 3 train is about a 6.5 at night, and 5 during the day. i cant say for sure if you being white in a predominantly black neighborhood will have any negative recourse directed towards you. but that part of crown heights has serious quality of life issues that you should consider (gang presence, drug dealing, loudness). in all honestly, the majority of crown heights suffers from the 3 beforementioned issues.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-15-2010, 09:28 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
As someone mentioned elsewhere in this forum, these "is this area safe?" threads are strange, to say the least. You should never take anyone else's advice on how some neighborhood might make you feel. Safety is a very subjective issue. Go to the area, see it with your own eyes, and if you feel OK about it, move right in!

Old 03-15-2010, 05:27 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times
I was just here today.. there are some very nice, spacious renovated houses for cheap.. but you'll notice from walking around the area that the houses don't fit the neighborhood. I don't find the area to be a very comfortable place, and you might not feel comfortable there either, but it's up to you to take a look and see for yourself.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 14,339 times
Thanks for your replies. I guess if I felt safe, I wouldn't be asking this question...so there's my answer. I know perception of safety is a big part of safety--does that make sense? If you feel like a target, you will be more of a target. For example, my 2001 mugging happened when I was new to the city and I practically had a sign on my forehead that stated that fact. Thanks to all for your opinions.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:47 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
Well the fact is you are moving to a black area. I am in that area at times and notice that whites are moving in but it is still mostly black. Will your color mean anything. Well to be honest not during the day but at night your color will make you more of a target. I dont know if you are talking about gentrifying in good or bad terms but where you plan to be will nowhere be gentrified. Two years ago 2 cops got shot in that area around nostrand. One of them was killed. Also you may not know this but during labor day it is horrible. They have parades and the noise will drive you crazy. Well i hope that helped a little.
So if they are other than black, they cannot walk the streets when the street lights turn on??? Gimme a break! When the sun goes down all the non black folks should run for cover?? You gotta joking.. As I have mentioned time & time again.. The people in the neighborhood are not paying you any attention!!!! The crimes being committed is between rivals who obviously have their own problems between them. As far of the parade, that’s one single day out of the year no big deal to even mention it. Get out & enjoy the food & music! But for the OP what you would like to know is the lots of museums in the area but not too many great playgrounds. I tend to have to travel out of the area to take my son to the park or to do anything fun.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:21 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
I have a friend who bought an apartment in that area, and he was raised in Brooklyn. He rented it out after 6 months because he was too uncomfortable in the area, and his car was broken into FOUR TIMES in that 6 month period.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:07 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
As someone mentioned elsewhere in this forum, these "is this area safe?" threads are strange, to say the least. You should never take anyone else's advice on how some neighborhood might make you feel. Safety is a very subjective issue. Go to the area, see it with your own eyes, and if you feel OK about it, move right in!
I don't think it's strange at all. Someone not familiar with an area may not get the full picture after several visits at alternating times of the day. Maybe they will catch the area on a good or bad night and their impressions aren't a true reflection of the area on a relatively regular basis.

I say this from experience. Years ago, I moved to Dyker Heights which everyone said was a lovely residential area. I visited the area several times during the day and night and it was very quiet and I took the apartment. A few nights later, a gang of teens were hanging out across the street until all hours with radios blasting. I was pretty shocked.

The next night they threw a couch into the middle of the street and a bunch of car tires and set it on fire. I called the cops and they didn't even show up. Needless to say, I moved after my lease was up. I'm sure others in the area were aware that this was a bad corner.

People who live there can give a much better assessment of the general day to day living, dangers, things to watch out for, etc. Of course, no one should base their decision on what someone else thinks but sometimes it's nice to get a perspective from someone who actually lives there.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 6,283 times
Iv'e lived in the neighborhood all my life, and attended catholic school St.Francis on lincoln pl and nostrand , the neighborhood has gotten better over the years, there are busn. in the area a pretty much people know each other by face. There are a few isolated cases that may occur, with individuals who are involved in illigal activities, but i do not feel a threat among regular everyday people, so it is safe , it has gotten better, and it is always best to get to know your neighbor , because we do look out for each other, also the nighborhood is changing it is becoming more diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City