Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 07:22 AM

3 posts, read 13,791 times

Advertisements

Hi-

I'm looking at a room on Nostrand Ave, almost exactly in between the A and G stops on Nostrand. Can anyone give me an idea of safety there? I've heard it's not great, but I live in Washington Heights now, and it's not that great either. Can anyone give me a comparison of safety between the two areas, especially women? Is it mainly just catcalling or is there actual danger at night?

If it helps I'm female and caucasian (I'm assuming it will affect this).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 07:31 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplevacca View Post
Hi-

I'm looking at a room on Nostrand Ave, almost exactly in between the A and G stops on Nostrand. Can anyone give me an idea of safety there? I've heard it's not great, but I live in Washington Heights now, and it's not that great either. Can anyone give me a comparison of safety between the two areas, especially women? Is it mainly just catcalling or is there actual danger at night?

If it helps I'm female and caucasian (I'm assuming it will affect this).

Thanks!
Look I'm Brooklyn-born and I've taken every train in the city to every neighborhood at all hours w/o fear (but not w/o incident) from the 70s until now.

Back in the day that was a rough area. In the mid-1980s, I took the Franklin Shuttle twice, which is basically, the next stop. Wasn't fun. Cops didn't even ride that train.

Don't know about now but I'd be cautious.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:35 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,927,870 times
The Nostrand area is diverse. Both my son's doctor who is African American and his teacher who is Asian lives there as well as myself. I ride the subway with both just about daily. We have all been in the area for about 10 years. The area is not bad. People tend not to realize that these people in the neighborhood IS NOT PAYING YOU any attention!!!!! If they are up to no good, it’s no business of yours, keep it moving! The bad that goes on in the area is amongst others with problems between them. What you really need to worry about is how crowded the A train and platform is, and that you will probably miss about 2 trains before you can actually fit on in the morning!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 13,791 times
Thanks! The apt is on the corner of Gates and Nostrand...is that still okay? I know it's a bit away from the A (7 blocks).

Old 03-16-2010, 10:41 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplevacca View Post
Thanks! The apt is on the corner of Gates and Nostrand...is that still okay? I know it's a bit away from the A (7 blocks).
no its not okay thats one of the worst corners in bed-stuy...as a nickname, they call that big building on the corner "the shelter". the corner itself is nicknamed N.A. Rock. still a lot of drug selling over there. a lot of quality of life issues that you might not be comfortable with.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 PM

961 posts, read 2,463,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
no its not okay thats one of the worst corners in bed-stuy...as a nickname, they call that big building on the corner "the shelter". the corner itself is nicknamed N.A. Rock. still a lot of drug selling over there. a lot of quality of life issues that you might not be comfortable with.
I hate to use this as a reference, but I hear Maino shouting out that corner all the time. It doesn't seem as bad as it was in the 90's though. Its more chill than before

Old 03-17-2010, 04:56 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
I hate to use this as a reference, but I hear Maino shouting out that corner all the time. It doesn't seem as bad as it was in the 90's though. Its more chill than before
i dont think any place in the city is as bad as it was in the '90s....some place are still pretty bad but not on the level of 10-15 years ago...but i know that living on nostrand and gates will make somebody who's not accustomed to living in the hood uncomfortable real fast.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City