Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 05:46 PM

7 posts, read 31,300 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm going to NYC next week for 4 nights by car. The first 2 nights i will be in someone's apartment in East Village, and the 2 other nights in a hotel on W 39th street near avenue of the Americas. I'm looking for the cheapest and safest parking option. I've looked on primospot.com and bestparking.com For 5 days, the cheapest i've found is 88$. It's the PARK-IT Area Garage on Columbia ST between Broome-Delancey street), near the Williamsburg bridge. Do you think it's safe and that the price is good? By going to this parking, to i have to drive in the heart of Manhattan (i might not be confortable with that if too crazy ).

I've also heard about the option of parking in White Plains and taking the train up to the Grand central. By using this option, am i sparing the tolls fees or i have to pay it anyways? If you have any garage names and adresses and how much would it cost for 24h, it would be very appreciated.

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 08:54 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,213 times
I've walked around there playing tennis- I'm surprised there is a garage there. The area at night is mildly sketchy because of the projects. The garage itself is likely safe.

You can park in a lot of outer areas on the street without paying like Long Island City and take the subway in.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:29 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
You can get a much cheaper rate, on the order of $15/day if you park in Northern Manhttan, in Inwood. You can easily access this area from I-87 as well, so you are not going to have to deal with the traffic in Lower Manhattan going to/from the parking garage. The only less expensive option, and it's a lot, would be to park in the long term at Croton-Harmon station for $10/day and take Metro-North to Grand Central on the Hudson Line train. You pay in advance at a kiosk at Croton-Harmon, and I think you want Lot F. Just checked their site, and it is Section F. Here's a link: Croton Parking

Whatever garage you pick, however, book it in advance if the option is available. Bestparking lets you do this with some garages, though some do not have this functionality, but if they do have it, book ahead as that's likely an Internet-only rate. Also, be sure to select a 24-hour garage, since you might need to retrieve your car during your visit, or you might want to change your itinerary to leave at a different time.

White Plains has some parking garages, but some of the garages are not the best. City Center is a good garage, but it's a couple of blocks from the train. I would not park at the Galleria garage. The long-term meters in White Plains are about $10/24-hours, so about the same as Croton.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-18-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
You can get a much cheaper rate, on the order of $15/day if you park in Northern Manhttan, in Inwood. You can easily access this area from I-87 as well, so you are not going to have to deal with the traffic in Lower Manhattan going to/from the parking garage. The only less expensive option, and it's a lot, would be to park in the long term at Croton-Harmon station for $10/day and take Metro-North to Grand Central on the Hudson Line train. You pay in advance at a kiosk at Croton-Harmon, and I think you want Lot F. Just checked their site, and it is Section F. Here's a link: Croton Parking

Whatever garage you pick, however, book it in advance if the option is available. Bestparking lets you do this with some garages, though some do not have this functionality, but if they do have it, book ahead as that's likely an Internet-only rate. Also, be sure to select a 24-hour garage, since you might need to retrieve your car during your visit, or you might want to change your itinerary to leave at a different time.

White Plains has some parking garages, but some of the garages are not the best. City Center is a good garage, but it's a couple of blocks from the train. I would not park at the Galleria garage. The long-term meters in White Plains are about $10/24-hours, so about the same as Croton.
Thank you very much for all those tips! I looked on bestparking.com for Inwood parking. There are 2 parking at 60$ but only one that i have a rate AND reservation guaranteed. The one that is guaranteed is an outdoor lot (10th avenue between 213-214 st). Do you think it's safe?

Is it also reliable in Washington Heights? I've found and outdoor one with guarantee at 68$ (158th st between riverside and dr riverside).

Also, is it a long subway ride to go to east village from Inwood/washington heights?

Thank you!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abysse View Post
Thank you very much for all those tips! I looked on bestparking.com for Inwood parking. There are 2 parking at 60$ but only one that i have a rate AND reservation guaranteed. The one that is guaranteed is an outdoor lot (10th avenue between 213-214 st). Do you think it's safe?

Is it also reliable in Washington Heights? I've found and outdoor one with guarantee at 68$ (158th st between riverside and dr riverside).

Also, is it a long subway ride to go to east village from Inwood/washington heights?

Thank you!
I have actually passed that lot, now that I recall it. It's an open lot, but perhaps not like one that a person would ordinarily think of. It's a stacked open lot, meaning the cars are placed on lifts and secured. Since it's not a large property where the attendant could not see the vehicle, I would think that it should be perfectly safe in that area. Inwood may look a little shabby in places, but during the day, I would not have an issue with the area at all; and, during most of the night, it's not a bad area per se. And, around that location, there are many businesses, and a train yard, and the subway is nearby. Via subway to the East Village, it would probably take about an hour, because the 1 train on which that lot is located is a local line.

Riverside & 158th is a funny location, because there's Riverside and Riverside West in that area, portions of which are elevated. Some of the blocks are long and don't have many houses or businesses on them, just the backs of apartment buildings, and service entrances. Plus, you would have to walk to 157th to get the subway, and it's still the 1 train, so it would likely take the same amount of time as it would from Inwood where you can get on at W215th.

I might be more inclined to take the open lot in Inwood, if you can get a reservation there, because it's a bit more convenient to the subway and is in a busy area.

City-Data FAQs

Old 03-19-2010, 04:17 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,213 times
Why don't you look in Williamsburg, there has to be something reasonable there and you can take the L train into the East Village apt. and not too much further to get to midtown.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I have actually passed that lot, now that I recall it. It's an open lot, but perhaps not like one that a person would ordinarily think of. It's a stacked open lot, meaning the cars are placed on lifts and secured. Since it's not a large property where the attendant could not see the vehicle, I would think that it should be perfectly safe in that area. Inwood may look a little shabby in places, but during the day, I would not have an issue with the area at all; and, during most of the night, it's not a bad area per se. And, around that location, there are many businesses, and a train yard, and the subway is nearby. Via subway to the East Village, it would probably take about an hour, because the 1 train on which that lot is located is a local line.

Riverside & 158th is a funny location, because there's Riverside and Riverside West in that area, portions of which are elevated. Some of the blocks are long and don't have many houses or businesses on them, just the backs of apartment buildings, and service entrances. Plus, you would have to walk to 157th to get the subway, and it's still the 1 train, so it would likely take the same amount of time as it would from Inwood where you can get on at W215th.

I might be more inclined to take the open lot in Inwood, if you can get a reservation there, because it's a bit more convenient to the subway and is in a busy area.
Thank you so much again!
You were right about the lot on 10th avenue in Inwood, after reading your message i searched for it on google maps street view:
3976, 10th avenue, inwood, ny - Google Maps

I feel more secure that the cars are placed on lifts. I'm a little chicken about my care since i've never left it unattended for many days in a parking lot in a city that i don't know

I will seriously consider that option even tough i would have like to be closer to east village or midtown by subway. I will also consider the City Center garage you recommended in White Plains but i guess it's not as sure since i do not have the online guaranteed reservation.

crescent22: It seems to be a good option but on the website of bestparking i did not found anything under 120$ for 5 days.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:03 PM

Indeed, that's the problem with the 1 train, since it's a local. You could always switch to the A at 168th, but I don't think it would be any faster by the time you wait for the train. I understand completely about being trepidations when leaving your vehicle at a facility that's unknown to you.

The rate you have for Lower Manhattan is good as well, albeit a little more expensive. Your car should be fine there as well, provided the traffic is not nightmarish on your way there, since there are days when it can take an eternity to traverse the FDR from Upper Manhattan, though things generally begin to open up around the East 60s.

City-Data FAQs

Old 03-20-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Indeed, that's the problem with the 1 train, since it's a local. You could always switch to the A at 168th, but I don't think it would be any faster by the time you wait for the train. I understand completely about being trepidations when leaving your vehicle at a facility that's unknown to you.

The rate you have for Lower Manhattan is good as well, albeit a little more expensive. Your car should be fine there as well, provided the traffic is not nightmarish on your way there, since there are days when it can take an eternity to traverse the FDR from Upper Manhattan, though things generally begin to open up around the East 60s.
Thank you. I've checked the public transit itinerary between the inwood parking and east village and the duration is between 47 min and 1h19 min depending of the route. Here it is: 3976 10th Ave, New York, NY 10034 to East Village, New York, NY - Google Maps
Is the itinerary that is 47 min seems correct ?

The weird thing is that the itinerary between white plains (city center) and east village appears longer (1h20 min):
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=230,+main+street,+White+ Plains,+NY+10603+(North+White+Plains+(Metro-North+station))&daddr=east+village,+new+york&hl=en &geocode=%3BFbV6bQId3wqX-ylFTsznd1nCiTHsaA9A8zWpbw&mra=ls&dirflg=r&ttype=de p&date=03%2F24%2F10&time=12:00pm&noexp=0&noal=0&so rt=&sll=40.891715,-73.881683&sspn=0.486882,1.234589&ie=UTF8&ll=40.881 333,-73.877563&spn=0.486958,1.234589&z=10&start=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City