Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 11:09 AM

413 posts, read 1,175,411 times

Advertisements

Hi Friends,

I will starting my job in NYC (close to times square) in April First week and my wife works in Farmington, CT. The plan is that I will travel (most likely every weekend).

I need to find a place near my work place which in nice/affordable and has car parking. The reason I don't plan to stay in NYC is parking only.

Is there any place in NYC within 5-10 miles of my work place which is on the way to CT and close to a train station (so that I can go to office and CT with ease)

Thanks a lot guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 11:39 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,264,855 times
There are two problems with the ease of commute, one is the car, and the second is the train. You need the New Haven Line train from Grand Central, and it only makes stops at 125th, Fordham in The Bronx, and Yankee Stadium (game day only). It bypasses many of the other stations, such as Woodlawn, such that you could get to work relatively easily, but to get to Connecticut, you would have to take the train to 125th Street and then transfer, which would add to the trip.

Given those parameters, the car becomes the problem, since parking in Manahttan that's attached to a residential building is generally expensive, and not always available.

If you expand your search radius, to include Lower Westchester, on the New Haven Line, such as Pelham or New Rochelle (away from the downtown area), you would be in a better position to have a place for the car at your residence, proximity to the train, but at the expense of a slightly longer commute to work. Pelham is about 30 minutes to Grand Central, and then you'd take the shuttle to Times Square. New Rochelle has the option of Amtrak to go to Connecticut, and is slightly longer to Grand Central about 35-40 minutes. The nice thing about Westchester is that you would not have to pay NYC resident income tax, and parking may be included, but even if you're paying for it, it's not going to be as expensive as Manhattan.

Fordham is an option, but it's not an easy proposition to find vehicle parking with the apartment, and some nearby areas have a high crime rate.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-19-2010, 02:04 PM

93 posts, read 365,208 times
Are you going to be commuting daily (I assume not) or go down Monday morning and back home Friday night? It's going to be a long commute.

Do you really need a car? If not, that takes care of the parking issue. Find somewhere on a train line and commute that way. I don't know if there are trains up to Farmington though.

Otherwise, areas that come to mind first would be queens, lower westchester or maybe NJ. I wish I knew the surrounding areas better but I've lived on LI and then Fairfield County Ct my entire life, both of which would be longer commutes than you want and are not cheap.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:30 PM

375 posts, read 1,570,425 times
Confused by the question or also the responses.... the wife work is Farmington CT, which is way up near Hartford CT. Does the Metro North go up there? I thought it stops in New Haven... maybe there is a connecting line?

But if the wife works in Farmington, why does the he want to be close to NYC? Shouldn't he be inquiring about somewhere more midpoint?... like Danbury?

Or do they already live somewhere near Farmington, and he is asking about a 2nd place near NYC for his new job?

Old 03-19-2010, 02:38 PM

93 posts, read 365,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
Confused by the question or also the responses.... the wife work is Farmington CT, which is way up near Hartford CT. Does the Metro North go up there? I thought it stops in New Haven... maybe there is a connecting line?

But if the wife works in Farmington, why does the he want to be close to NYC? Shouldn't he be inquiring about somewhere more midpoint?... like Danbury?

Or do they already live somewhere near Farmington, and he is asking about a 2nd place near NYC for his new job?
+1 on confusion about the trains. There are some stray trains that go up into CT, but the main line you think of stops at New Haven.

I interpreted the question as they already live in/near Farmington and he is looking for a second place for weekday nights near NYC.

My real recommendation is for one of them to find a new job closer to the other, but if there's a family relocating may not be an option. I would say the question is the second best, since moving to a midpoint would just give both a terrible commute.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post

LightningMcQueen,

My wife would be working in Farmington and won't travel. I would be doing a weekly commute, I'm fine with travelling by car, if that makes life easy.

But since I work in NYC - I need to find a place where I can take the train daily to work and can travel to Farmington on Friday's (car or train doesn't matter).

Both these locations are 100 miles apart so I want an apartment:

1.) Within 10 miles of NYC and on a train line so that I can be in the office without much hassle.

2.) The apartment should be on the way to CT, because that would save some miles when I travel to CT. NJ is on the opposite site and would add to the commute.

I have no idea about NYC, NJ or CT at all. We'll be moving there in April first week.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKooT1027 View Post
+1 on confusion about the trains. There are some stray trains that go up into CT, but the main line you think of stops at New Haven.

I interpreted the question as they already live in/near Farmington and he is looking for a second place for weekday nights near NYC.

My real recommendation is for one of them to find a new job closer to the other, but if there's a family relocating may not be an option. I would say the question is the second best, since moving to a midpoint would just give both a terrible commute.
Hi SKoot1027,

You're right, we don't want something in the middle, that would just make the commute terrible for both if us.

The plan is that I'll live in NYC and travel to CT on weekends. The apartment has to be close to NYC on a train line with parking where I can keep my car so that I can travel to CT.

Looks like if I use the train to CT, it's only going to make life difficult. I plan to use a car to travel to CT on weekend as it's only 100 miles, a 2 hr drive.

You're guys are really helpful. Thanks a lot.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:55 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,264,855 times
If you want to drive to CT, that simplifies things greatly. You could live in Riverdale, and take Metro-North's Hudson Line to GCT and the shuttle. It's well under 30 minutes to GCT from Riverdale, and there are numerous apartments available. Parking is also much easier, and it's not unfathomable to have it in the building, or very close by, and at a much lower cost than Manhattan. You could also take an express bus if you did not want to take the train, but the train is fastest, and you can take the HudsonRailink bus to/from either Spuyten Duyvil or Riverdale stations.

There are two ways to get to Farmington from Riverdale, both pretty easy, despite being on the Hudson shore. You can take I-684 to 84 to Farmington, which you can get to from the Henry Hudson/Saw Mill to Cross County Parkway. Another option is The Merritt Parkway, which tends to move along, while I-95 can be absolutely brutal on a Friday evening getting to the CT line and then from Greenwich to Stamford. The Merritt is a continuation of the Hutchinson Parkway, while I-684 splits off to head through Bedford and points north in NY. I-95 can easily add hours to the trip, both in Westchester, and Southern Connecticut, so I would tend not to recommend looking along that route since you're going to drive to Farmington.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-19-2010, 04:10 PM

375 posts, read 1,570,425 times
Smuggy, ok, so you guys have a home base somewhere near where your wife works. But you need to find a satellite place near NYC because you will be working near Times Square and your commute from your home base would be too far. You plan to live in your satellite apt during the week and travel to your home base on weekends.

The New Haven Line on Metro North stops in New Haven. I believe there is some kind of connecting service (either bus or another train) from New Haven to the Hartford area. I would advocate you trying to work that out rather than keeping car for the weekly drive up to CT.

So now, where to find that satellite apt for your commute to Times Square. I assume you are looking for something cheap? (Or may be your rent budget is not an issue, in which case you might want to enjoy the pseudo single life in Manhattan during your work week?) Otherwise, if you are cost conscious, then I would say, look somewhere along where the New Haven Line runs. Some of the major stops (where you would get frequent express trains during rush hours) along the New Haven Line, within 45 min ride to Grand Central are, Stamford, Greenwich, and New Rochelle. These cities have apts (in "luxury buildings" or multifamily homes) within walking distance from the trains.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:32 AM

Thanks Guys...I'll look up all these places on google maps and see what makes sense.

Does staying in Jersey City make sense? I would save NYC resident tax and have easy commute to work....just trip to CT will be 10-20 miles extra.

Your suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City