Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 10:05 AM

128 posts, read 250,675 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

Just wanted to ask a quick question. I can't afford to rent an apartment that is more than 1k/month rent. Are there any other sources I can look into other than craigslist during my search?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 11:19 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
village voice, daily news, another way is to walk around the neighborhood you're interested in and the buildings usually have a sign with the management company's number on the wall, you can call them to inquire about apartments.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-27-2010, 11:50 AM

961 posts, read 2,464,582 times
hotpads.com is also a good one

Old 03-29-2010, 02:27 PM

Thanks guys. I'm really liking hotpads.com thus far though I haven't called anyone yet, just searching. Just afraid of getting scammed since I'm such a noob

Old 03-29-2010, 11:39 PM

^ yeah, the only thing with hotpads, is double check some of the locations about half of them really are where they are on the map (yes alot of those listings in Lower Manhattan are real), while you might find a Brooklyn listing in the middle of Times Square. People don't do these things on purpose, at times they may forget to put the exact address so they just show up anywhere on the map. But the vast majority are legit listings.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:26 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Seventhfloor beat me to the suggestion of the Village Voice, which actually has very good listings. (If you're insistent upon Manhattan, here's a little secret: Fort Tryon, which is sort of a subsection of Washington Heights in upper Manhattan, is a great neighborhood! If you follow Billy Strayhorn's advice and take the A train, you can be in midtown from there in 20 minutes!)

Old 03-30-2010, 09:52 AM

Thanks guys. I have another quick question but just did't want to create a new thread. If you were going to rent a 1 bedroom/studio, what are the differences between renting in a building versus a private family house? Obviously, in a building there's a super, but are there any other advantages/disadvantages to both?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:04 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
If you rent in an apartment building and get what's called a Rent Stabilized apartment, the landlord can only raise the rent a certain percentage when your lease is up. Not all apartments in buildings are stabilized though so find that out when you are looking.

Renting in a private home or a non-stabilized apartment subjects you to whatever rent increases the landlord wants to charge.

Living in a private home with the owner in one of the apartments may provide more peace and quiet than living in a building with neighbors on all sides, above and below. Then again, if you get a bad landlord, you might freeze in the winter and find that they have entered your apartment when you were not home. I had that happen to me and would personally never rent in a private home again.

Good luck with your search.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
^ yeah, the only thing with hotpads, is double check some of the locations about half of them really are where they are on the map (yes alot of those listings in Lower Manhattan are real), while you might find a Brooklyn listing in the middle of Times Square. People don't do these things on purpose, at times they may forget to put the exact address so they just show up anywhere on the map. But the vast majority are legit listings.
Thanks twist07. The more I search, the more I get confused Maybe you could shed some light?

I'm looking for an apt/studio on a $1k/month budget. I want to live close to NYU or at least find a home with a reasonable commute using public transportation, so I went to look in SOHO area and see apartments for rent at 1k... same price as some poorer neighborhoods in Brooklyn. I realize that SOHO is far from the poorest area in New York, so what's the trick?

Old 03-31-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loss4words View Post
Thanks twist07. The more I search, the more I get confused Maybe you could shed some light?

I'm looking for an apt/studio on a $1k/month budget. I want to live close to NYU or at least find a home with a reasonable commute using public transportation, so I went to look in SOHO area and see apartments for rent at 1k... same price as some poorer neighborhoods in Brooklyn. I realize that SOHO is far from the poorest area in New York, so what's the trick?
If you're looking at the apartments on the map on hotpads.com, click on the full listing and it should give you either the full address or the borough and neighborhood its in. It is EXTREMELY rare to find a studio in Soho for that price, your best bet would be to look at people renting out rooms, so click the box for roomate or share and it will filter your options. You might be able to find a Share in the East Village or Lower East Side at that much, but remember to double check those addresses by double clicking on the actual building. Don't be afraid to call the number on the listing either. To find a studio for 1k with a good commute to NYU, hmmm, maybe, and I stress Maybe the Williamsburg/Bushwick border area around Myrtle off the J-Z stop, or L.E.S./East Village as I stated before. But you'll have more luck doing a share with a roommate. If you're in NYC physically go to the areas if possible just like what Seventh said and call the #'s on the buildings or check bulletin boards at NYU for people looking for roomates. Use every resource possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: