U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 09:11 AM

6,853 posts, read 21,428,082 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to NYC in the next few months and I can't decide what part of NYC to live in. I am looking at Murray Hill and East Midtown. I am young, single, still like to go out in the evening and I have a small dog. I can't decide Midtown or Murray Hill. Can anyone give me some benefits or drawbacks on each area? Anything will help...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 09:18 AM

10,203 posts, read 26,128,758 times
If I were interested in dog walking as a priority, I'd probably select Murray Hill--less foot traffic, but probably less restaurants than Midtown East or West. Noise factor might also make a difference: noisier in Midtown than Murray Hill.

If you decide on Midtown West, I know there is a popular dog-walking park in the 50s & 11th Avenue I believe.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:22 AM

Thank you for that advice. I hadn't even though about noise being a huge issue...

Old 06-06-2007, 10:41 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,767,164 times
I live and work in what's usually considered 'Midtown East.' There are several dog runs (on at 51st and the river and another at 60th and the river). Nice apartments that are good value (for Manhattan).

Old 06-06-2007, 10:46 AM

Someone just told me I should look at Union Square? Any thoughts?

Old 06-06-2007, 12:02 PM

9,855 posts, read 24,131,965 times
If you have the means both places are great to live in. They both offer a good amount of things to do in their respective areas. Not a huge difference. Murray Hill is farther from the trains though.

Union Square is a great area for a young person to live in the city, if they have the means. There are a ton of things to do around there. A lot of great bars and restaurants, and it's close to a lot of trains.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:02 PM

3,360 posts, read 11,754,468 times
Union Square, definately! There're always people and things going on in the park: farmer's market, movies, restaurants, music, stores.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:50 PM

954 posts, read 4,247,913 times
I used to live in Gramercy Park area, a few block from Union Square. If you dog, is used to the country, the noise will be a big adjustment.
If I was young and single and had a dog and a good income, I would be looking more at the East Village or the Upper West Side. East Village you have Tompkins Square and UWS Central Park and Riverside Park.
Anywhere in midtown has good restaurants, but not as hip as other areas I've described.
Good luck.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:41 PM

17 posts, read 69,539 times
I lived in Murray Hill (34th and Park) for about a year and loved it. It's a great location and is popular with young professionals, many of whom have dogs, which is evident as you stroll around the neighborhood. One of things I really liked was that it was a very central location. From my apartment, I could easily walk to work (in Rockefeller Center) or down to Chelsea, Union Square or the Village. There were plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from, mainly along 3rd Avenue and Park Avenue South.

It's true that the downtown areas are more trendy, though the whole snobbish attitude that nothing above 14th Street could possibly be cool really used to bug me! One good thing about Murray Hill is that it's a little more affordable than downtown, which leaves you with more disposable income for going out.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: