Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 05:30 PM

18 posts, read 31,480 times

Advertisements

Just an FYI....based on the links you provided. I just made contact with a property in Bedford Park and they have a one bedroom for $875. Contact has been made and the ball is rolling. So again, thanks, don't worry about other people and don't assume missy!

Whew! It IS possible to find something affordable in a secure building in a decent part of town afterall. I was getting a little freaked out there for a minute! We'll see what they require (I understand that some places want verifiable income upon move-in) a hefty deposit or not.

Appreciative.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 06:13 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Thanks for posting these links,Henna !
Hopefully, Monica will find them useful and hopefully some of the posters who contribute to these threads with little knowledge beyond 30 yr old stereotypes will take the time to read them and absorb.

And Monica,FYI there are two very large and highly rated medical centers in The Bronx that might be places to check out for work possibilities.One is Montefiore Medical Center and it is in the Norwood neighborhood http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/31/re...te/31livi.html which is right next to Bedford Park. Norwood also may have some decent rental possibilities as well as Woodlawn( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodlawn,_Bronx )which is also near Montefiore.
The other big medical center is Jacobi Medical Center and it is in the Pelham Parkway/Morris Park area.
Who knows,with a little effort you might find a decent apartment within walking distance or very short bus ride to work at one of these places.
Good luck.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-30-2010 at 07:05 PM..

Old 03-30-2010, 06:21 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Thanks for posting these links,Henna !
Hopefully, Monica will find them useful and hopefully some of the posters who contribute to these threads with little knowledge beyond 30 yr old stereotypes will take the time to read them and absorb.

Bluedog, could it be possible that people and place create their own stereotypes? And could it also be possible that you defend the saftey of the Bronx simply b/c you live there and are luckily still alive

Old 03-30-2010, 06:48 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Bluedog, could it be possible that people and place create their own stereotypes? And could it also be possible that you defend the saftey of the Bronx simply b/c you live there and are luckily still alive
I don't defend the safety of the entire Bronx any more than I would defend the safety of the entire city.The fact is that the Bronx has quite a few neighborhoods whose safety and quality of life compares favorably to most NYC neighborhoods and very favorably to most other large US cities.
I have been living in NYC for over 35 years and lived in many neighborhoods in Manhattan and Brooklyn before moving to the Bronx.The quality of life that I have in my Bronx neighborhood is far better than in my last neighborhood (Williamsburg,Brooklyn) and the one before that( LES).
As I said,I'm not here to defend the entire Bronx but I do know that there are some decent neighborhoods and I am happy to defend them against anyone who seems to be capable only of describing things with a very broad and inaccurate brush.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:56 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Good news on the job front! It is possible to find a nice apartment, that's for sure, though sometimes there will be a bit of a hunt to find the right one.

And, the stereotype of the big, bad Bronx is overrated, yet seems to come up time and again when people do not know the diversity of the borough, or from some who like to posture about their street credentials. Even during the really, really bad years when there were crack epidemics, flames burning down vacant buildings, and all sorts of horrors, there were still nice, safe neighborhoods in the borough that remained isolated from the devastation. Just as one would not judge all of Manhattan by incidents that take place in particular high crime areas, one should not view The Bronx that way.

There are some rough neighborhoods in Dallas (I have relatives who live near SMU), and if you can handle those, you're not going to have issues with the areas you're considering. The only issue in Bedford Park would be a car, since it's very difficult, and expensive (with tickets) to find street parking. And the NYPD Traffic division is relentless in the ticket department, most times. There are some garages where you can get a monthly spot, but you might have to walk back from the car at night. Some people I know who have that situation in the Van Cortlandt area, and in Riverdale, actually don't drive if they're going to walk home late at night, or have a friend who has an in-house garage wait for them by their car. Both of those are good areas, but the streets can sometimes be quiet, so it's better to be safe than sorry, because crime can happen anywhere in NYC.

Good luck in your search for an apartment.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 PM

Default Thanks!

bmwguydc, I appreciate you breaking it down the way you did. I lived near downtown dallas and it was rough growing up. I am of Italian/Spanish descent but I look totally white! Light skin, green eyes, tall....NOTHING like my cousins, best friends or school mates. I grew up in a predominantly hispanic neighborhood and a lot of my peers were Mexicans and so were most of my cousins. I love the culture, but boy did I get ripped for looking the way I look! It was a tough neighborhood and I had to do what I had to do to make it everyday. Dallas is tough, the suburbs are better, but these days.....they're getting just as bad as the SMU area you referred to.

NY is a place I can see myself living, I've always felt that it was the place for me. My kids are grown and gone and I'm alone in Denver. Why not move? This is the perfect time. If I don't do it now; I'll never do it. (I'm not getting any younger). I trust that I will find a decent apartment and gainful employment and I'll thrive. I thrive anywhere I go! LOL

I enjoy the tips and suggestions, the banter and the honesty in these threads. People are so interesting and all of the opinions are food for thought. Feel free to continue to share any tidbits you feel could be helpful!

Thanks again!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:35 PM

Default Bluedog

If you have tips on parts of the Bronx to look into and parts to avoid....feel free to message me or post them. I'd love to hear your thoughts! TO EVERYBODY: Let me here what you think is the best, most affordable, the safest and the not so safe. I'll be giving my car to my daughter and heading out to the big apple in the summer. I cannot wait.........

Until then, I look forward to hearing from you all about anything and everything that you think will enlighten and inform.

I appreciate you all!

Old 03-30-2010, 11:10 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Yes, you will find The Bronx to be similar. My relatives in Dallas live in a nice neighborhood, but there are some pockets of crime nearby.

Glad to hear your daughter will take the car, since it will be much easier for you not to have to deal with one on a daily basis. You can rent, or sign up with ZipCar for those times when you need a car in the city. I write this as someone who drives, but...so many people do enjoy being car-free in the city.

It sounds like you will enjoy NYC, and appreciate all it has to offer, not just the marketing of the city from movies and television.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-31-2010, 12:22 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It's odd that you singled out and thanked the one person who did nothing for this thread except for attack my post about the Bronx (which was sincere and could have been helpful to you) as being "shameful."

I wanted to point out that the areas I directed you to in the Bronx have both been profiled recently in the NY Times Real Estate section. I guess it's your choice if you'd prefer to ignore posts that might be helpful in favor of posts that attack. Best.

Habitats | Bedford Park, the Bronx
Through the Flamingo Doors

Living In | Bedford Park, the Bronx -A Friendly Bustle, With Oases Nearby

Even in a city known for its ethnic diversity and evolving neighborhood microclimates, Pelham Parkway stands out
@Henna

First, I think most everyone will agree The Bronx with the exception of a few holdout areas, contains some of the most dangerous and least desirable neighborhoods in the city.

Additionally, that The Bronx, with the exception of a couple of the most northern neighborhoods, and not considering Manhattan is the most urbanized NYC borough. A borough with entire neighborhoods of nothing but urban apartment and tenement buildings. Such is a fact.

It is also a reality that living in ANY of the so suggested nice areas of The Bronx requires one and all to NAVIGATE the not-as-nice areas; and that the not-so-nice areas can be dangerous.

Lastly, it is also a reality that some of the neighborhoods suggested are rather insular (and/or inward looking), like Throgs Neck.

So, the question is NOT whether there are nice areas of The Bronx; but, are there nice areas, in her budget range AND that are safely navigable for a woman of her description and experience.

Now, let us consider what she has told us:

44, White, Female, presumably a long time resident of DENVER! Also, that she has raised two college age children, is a white collar worker, born and raised in Dallas.

We also can assume that her time in Denver was spent in suburban Denver. Denver itself, like many American cities, compared to NYC is like a suburb. So, to live in the Denver suburbs from a NYC eye is like living in the suburb of the suburbs. Get it?

Unless you've spent time in a similarity, you may not get it. Crime and personal fear are more remote than virtually all NYC suburbs. It is a very very easy lifestyle; one not to be had in the NYC region. The Denver region also has Exurbs. Something not found in the NYC region.

So, the OP may be from Dallas, but Dallas ain't NYC; and presuming her to be an average American, again, she is truly from suburban Dallas.

Back to my question above:

The sad reality is that The Bronx is NOT safely navigable on a day-to-day basis for a person so described above. It is as simple as that.

She is a person coming to NYC to fulfill some dreams and ambitions, to have some fun and overall enjoy herself on a day-to-day basis. So, for example, 10 o'clock at night, are you suggesting she ride the subway all the way to the Bronx!?? To Riverdale, to Woodlawn or wherever?? Traveling through some of the worst neighborhoods of both Manhattan and The Bronx??!!!

Is this YOUR suggestion?

I ask do YOU have any PERSONAL knowledge of The Bronx, the neighborhoods suggested, and/or the commute???

It's not whether the neighborhood is simply safe; nor whether it is simply affordable.

It is whether the area is a good fit for the person involved.

You either did not consider and/or did not comprehend the OP and (as best we could tell) who she is.

Now, it may come to pass that the OP, someday, will be a happy Bronx resident, but it won't be on her first day, nor first year.

Considering all the above, I repeat:

Quote:
I find your advice to be shameful at best and dangerous at worst.

Why do you suggest an area you know NOTHING about?

You suggest to send a 44 year old, presumably white woman, with NO streetsmarts, no NYC experience, totally unawares, to an area of THE BRONX where apartments are $800-$900!!!!!

Fully and completely irresponsible post.

Why post if you don't know?
Where is the attack?

Old 03-31-2010, 12:57 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
[quote=jcoltrane;13531170]
First, I think most everyone will agree The Bronx with the exception of a few holdout areas, contains some of the most dangerous and least desirable neighborhoods in the city.

It is also a reality that living in ANY of the so suggested nice areas of The Bronx requires one and all to NAVIGATE the not-as-nice areas; and that the not-so-nice areas can be dangerous.
Denver itself, like many American cities, compared to NYC is like a suburb. So, to live in the Denver suburbs from a NYC eye is like living in the suburb of the suburbs. Get it?
Unless you've spent time in a similarity, you may not get it.
So, the OP may be from Dallas, but Dallas ain't NYC; and presuming her to be an average American, again, she is truly from suburban Dallas.

The sad reality is that The Bronx is NOT safely navigable on a day-to-day basis for a person so described above. It is as simple as that.

For example, 10 o'clock at night, are you suggesting she ride the subway all the way to the Bronx!?? To Riverdale, to Woodlawn or wherever?? Traveling through some of the worst neighborhoods of both Manhattan and The Bronx??!!!

It's not whether the neighborhood is simply safe; nor whether it is simply affordable.

It is whether the area is a good fit for the person involved.

Now, it may come to pass that the OP, someday, will be a happy Bronx resident, but it won't be on her first day, nor first year.
quote]

And this was my point exactly. You have to consider who the OP is and where she is coming from. Dallas and Denver are light years away from Urban areas of Nyc.
When folks are looking to move to NYC, we should all do our best to point out the best areas regardless of how cheap a place is. Too many times, people moving to NYC get pointed in the direction of areas that you call "gentrifying", when we all know gentrify means SKETCHY!
Yes there me a few decent areas of the Bronx but as JColtrane said, you have to navigate through the crappy areas to get there. Do you really think the OP wants to be on the subway late at night with some rough looking hood rats who live in Mott Haven or Gun Hill?
For a person who grew up in that type of environment or wants to live in NYC no matter what the risk, yeah the Bronx is cool. But for most out of towners it is a world of difference from what they know.

Like I said, people don't just say the Bronx is dangerous for fun, theres a reason for that. How many NYC raised middle class families do you know that would go set up shop in the bronx if they weren't raised there? Think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City