Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:39 PM

21 posts, read 149,398 times

Advertisements

Ok first of all I am a 30 year old female (I'm mixed but I look Caucasian) and I live in coop city. It is not dangerous because you are white, that's complete nonsense. It's a large complex and of course there are a few knuckleheads that act stupid. That happens anywhere so please! The complex has it's share of problems with all of the work being done and still needs to be done but all in all it's a good place to live especially for the price. You can take the express bus right into the city to get to work so that is also a plus. Of course some buildings are better than others and I have heard of some having more morons that hang around those areas but what are you going to do? Again like I said that is anywhere. The gang comment and also the comment about the shot detection equipment are plain stupid. There are NO REAL GANGS here, you may have a few TARDS that think they are gangsters. They are NOT and we DO NOT have shot detection equipment!!! So get your facts straight, thanks.
There was an incident today with a disgruntled worker but you hear this crap happening all across America so please stop trying to make coop look bad. It is more of an issue with society today than the actual neighborhood or the good people who do LIVE HERE!!!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 09:53 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,178 times
Talon I agree with you. Co-OP city is affordable housing, nothing more or less. Personally it looks like housing projects with balconies to me, but that is just my impression. That being said, co-op city is a safe, working class community with a plethora of amenitis within walking distance. it serves it's purpose of affordable housing, and with that comes the good and the bad. There are knucklehead kids everywhere, always have been. Furthermore, you will not be attacked or experience any sort of violent act anymoreso than anyother Bronx neighborhood.

It is perfectly safe for people of all colors. Hustla will have you believe WWIII is happening in the Bronx, and in neighborhoods like co-op city...so don't buy into his doom and gloom. The reality is it is a quiet, affordable housing community that has it share of problems...but what community doesn't?!

Old 09-04-2007, 01:53 PM

Guy...very well said! Very few places are perfect and the ones that are come with extremely high price tags and taxes to match LOL The Mitchell lama experiment is almost extinct and I must say it's really not all that horrible here. The buildings aren't the most glorious but hey imagine if people kept their wardrobe from the 60's and tried to go out on the town with them today! It would look pretty funny don't you think? LOL It's as if the buildings stood still in time while everything around them changed. But they are being worked on. I believe Hustla also said that there ARE real gangs in co-op city and there was a huge gun bust. While I can agree that some knuckleheads may "think" they are gang members and may be somewhat dangerous if not more ignorant than dangerous. That gun raid comment was not necessarily accurate. They made it look more serious than it was.........it's called propaganda. They had to be made an example of I guess. I read the papers and saw the indictments and now see how the guys that got nabbed are serving very little time for supposed "serious gun and drug running" Trust me if it were really serious they would be serving 25 to life. I digress but my point is that it's a pretty decent place and people can call security if they see too many "gangs" LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Talon I agree with you. Co-OP city is affordable housing, nothing more or less. Personally it looks like housing projects with balconies to me, but that is just my impression. That being said, co-op city is a safe, working class community with a plethora of amenitis within walking distance. it serves it's purpose of affordable housing, and with that comes the good and the bad. There are knucklehead kids everywhere, always have been. Furthermore, you will not be attacked or experience any sort of violent act anymoreso than anyother Bronx neighborhood.

It is perfectly safe for people of all colors. Hustla will have you believe WWIII is happening in the Bronx, and in neighborhoods like co-op city...so don't buy into his doom and gloom. The reality is it is a quiet, affordable housing community that has it share of problems...but what community doesn't?!

Old 09-04-2007, 02:00 PM

agreed Talon. The place does look like it's in a time warp...I suspect that if the exterior was redone to something more fashionable/"fabulous" Co-Op city would improve dramatically...not just structurally, but from its perception to those on the outside...prospective tenants, area residents, newspapers/media..etc...

Old 09-04-2007, 02:11 PM

I totally agree! I actually designed a new lobby and hallway plus landscaping for my building with a computer program I have (I added the details to pictures I took) It looked pretty awesome. I showed my friends and they said "wow they fixed your building up really nice, how do I apply for an apartment" LOL Then I told them no I did that with the PC that's how it looks in my head. Maybe one day it will look nicer and that would be awesome because the apartments are huge, the buildings are concrete (less noise travels into your apt.) and there are a lot of green areas that would be really really beautiful with better landscaping. Ah well...I can dream right?? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
agreed Talon. The place does look like it's in a time warp...I suspect that if the exterior was redone to something more fashionable/"fabulous" Co-Op city would improve dramatically...not just structurally, but from its perception to those on the outside...prospective tenants, area residents, newspapers/media..etc...

Old 09-04-2007, 11:53 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonR718 View Post
Guy...very well said! Very few places are perfect and the ones that are come with extremely high price tags and taxes to match LOL The Mitchell lama experiment is almost extinct and I must say it's really not all that horrible here. The buildings aren't the most glorious but hey imagine if people kept their wardrobe from the 60's and tried to go out on the town with them today! It would look pretty funny don't you think? LOL It's as if the buildings stood still in time while everything around them changed. But they are being worked on. I believe Hustla also said that there ARE real gangs in co-op city and there was a huge gun bust. While I can agree that some knuckleheads may "think" they are gang members and may be somewhat dangerous if not more ignorant than dangerous. That gun raid comment was not necessarily accurate. They made it look more serious than it was.........it's called propaganda. They had to be made an example of I guess. I read the papers and saw the indictments and now see how the guys that got nabbed are serving very little time for supposed "serious gun and drug running" Trust me if it were really serious they would be serving 25 to life. I digress but my point is that it's a pretty decent place and people can call security if they see too many "gangs" LOL
Let me copy what I wrote in my last post:

Sorry but real gangs do exist in Coop City. A HUGE gun bust went down in Co-op City as well last year. Crime is a problem in Co-op City.

Co-op City has it's problems. Is it the worst the Bronx has to offer. No. Is it getting better, not really. Would I live there, no. Would a recommend it, depends.

I don't know how much experience with gangs you have, I doubt it is much with that attitude, Co-op City does have legit gangs. Groups of youth that stick together. Often starting problems. These are neighborhood/building based gangs. This is why certain sections have problems with one another, even housing projects on the other side of the highway. This is the reason why Co-op city has an abnormally high number of shooting incidents.

As for the gun bust. They were selling automatic weapons out of there. They wouldn't have been raided if it wasn't significant. No "propaganda".

Old 09-05-2007, 07:23 AM

Please disregard Hustla....he says he would not live there but he openly admits to living in a FAR WORSE area than Co-op city...makes no sense. Co-Op City is not overrun by gangs, drugs, or crime...that just is not true. it is a city with 50,000 people living there so yes, there is crime...how could there not be? But you will not walk around Co-Op city and fear for your life....and if you do, then you should definitely not be living anywhere in NYC, as you would "feel" much safer locked inside your basement in the suburbs.

I give Co-Op city a thumbs up for great apts, reasonable prices, open space, good amenities within walking distance, and peaceful. People say good morning, they hold the elevators for you, and are friendly. I give it a thumbs down for outward appearance (it is dated and does look like soviet era housing projects), parking, and public transportation (to the city). There are few white people there, but so what? That only means shorter lines for coffee. =)

Old 09-05-2007, 08:06 AM

Ha ha ha to be honest as a person who lives there I must say Hustla's comments aren't accurate, sorry Hustla. You should do research before making things look worse than they are. The indictments are public knowledge and if were "serious" they would have received more time. I am not disputing that the ATF didn't make arrests and announce there HUGE RAID however, I definitely know what I am talking about. How.....I won't get into because it is irrelevant. But thanks for attacking me and questioning my "experience with gangs" LOL. FYI I grew up in the Bronx and so far have lived here my whole life, went to public school from K thru 12, my dad was born and raised here and my grandparents were also born in the Bronx. I am a history major, and have a passion for all things NYC. The Bronx was in serious decay in the 80's (started in the late 60's). I digressed but it was relevant to the topic. Coop city is a good place to live and I will leave it at that. Unless you live here I don't think you can really know how things are.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:20 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,332 times
Bravo Talon...as far as the "Soviet style look," that's what some people still say about the Seward Park Coops on the Lower East Side. But somehow that's not stopping people from moving in and paying as much as a million plus to live in some of the larger apts there.

By b/f and I bought in for 8 grand...then the complex went private/market rate, and we sold this year for 450 grand. So Coop city will likely get more and more pricey as well, and those who move in now will reap the benefits.

The Grand Concourse used to look very luxe--with doormen and canopies and beautiful lobbies/sitting areas in some buildings. The Concourse itself was modeled after the Champs Elysees in Paris. Prewar buldings are prime, because they were built better than those today, and you're not going to find that kind of architectural detail anymore. I'm sure as time goes on, some of those will go coop...and again, those who are wise and have enough for a down payment when it's cheap will not regret the investment.

Who cares how it looks outside...if you have a balcony or a river view inside, and a spacious, safe place to live? Look at Manhattan now--nothing but highrises being built. It's becoming more characterless by the hour.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:22 AM

Good morning guy (winks). Oh no worries, I like a little debate now and then ...me get worked up nah, life is too short. I appreciate the info, I thought maybe he just had a thing for co-op I'm kind of a newbie on here LOL

Good morning Elvira, well said and thanks ;-)

You guys have some wonderful and informative posts about NYC keep up the great work!! It makes the board a better place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: