Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 05:50 PM

25 posts, read 130,839 times

Advertisements

a new yorker flamed an innocent visiting person who was curious whether the 'rude new yorker' was a myth or not. this is what he had to say:

'Try living here, not visiting here, we aren't rude, we just dont have time for small-town, overweight, fatty tourists staring up at our accomplishments all the while walking 6-across on our already crowded sidewalks and claiming that they have done NY because they went to times square.'
'you transplant a native new yorker anywhere else in the world and they will survive and prosper...you transplant any person from the world into new york and chances are you will fail because its so hard here.'
'we are rough, tough, smart and sexy all rolled into one. im sorry if we offend you, try another place like backwoods alabama or kansas. leave real life for the adults, go play in the sandbox now '

this isnt the first time i seen it. it happens nearly all the time. its like..if you're a new yorker, you have to belittle visiting people and hurt their feelings by acting all 'holier than thou' on them. basically, a human without manners.
and they say new yorkers aren't rude. oh please..those who have the attitude like the one above, you are. and furthermore, those who are, are so full of themselves - that is, so full of ****.
i wonder why new yorkers feel the need to act so cocky and full of it all the damn time. it pisses me off. if i met a new yorker who was like this to me i would most certainly punch him in the face. there are plenty other cities with insane populations and business like nyc - like tokyo, london and cities in china and india - but the people in these places are far from grown up and civilised in comparison!

Last edited by Nihilanth; 06-06-2007 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 08:12 PM

122 posts, read 790,477 times
People are rude everywhere. The reason rudeness is such a common description of New Yorkers is because there are so many of us, hence the odds of running into a rude person are higher than in some suburb somewhere (where people are either nosy or cold and stay in their cars a lot).

I've had crappy encounters with tourists. Once (near Times Square, actually), my cousin and I walked past these tourists a little too fast - I guess we came across as impatient - and one of them told us to "go back to Africa." I'm not even black, I'm Hispanic, but that's freakin' awful any way you look at it. But do I think all white Midwestern people are racist? No. Of course not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilanth View Post
if i met a new yorker who was like this to me
Umm...I should add....it's not the smartest thing to start a thread based entirely on stereotypes.

But while we're at it: tourists do like to get in the way with their khaki shorts and fa nny packs and broods of towheaded offspring.

Whatever. Tourists should not whine and complain about our "rudeness" when they come. In fact, they should expect it. It's not like I'm getting paid to be someone's welcome wagon.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:29 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,528 times
Who cares?

Old 06-06-2007, 10:32 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Who cares?
My thought exactly

Old 06-07-2007, 04:01 PM

122 posts, read 790,477 times
Why'd you even post if you don't care?

Old 06-07-2007, 04:23 PM

469 posts, read 2,736,249 times
This makes me really sad because I've been to NYC many times (I used to live upstate in Woodstock and went into the city on weekends to stay with my friends in Queens) and I never had a bad experience with New Yorkers. I never got mugged, I always got a helpful answer if I asked for directions, and several of my really good pals are native New Yorkers (including my sweetie). When so many New Yorkers have tried to go beyond the stereotype and show themselves to be kind, interesting people, there's always one or two bad ones who burst in to make everyone else look bad!

This line: 'you transplant any person from the world into new york and chances are you will fail because its so hard here.' is particularly hilarious, considering how many immigrants and second-generation Americans live in NYC! What, were your parents or grandparents just special or something? Plenty of people move to NYC and do just fine.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:25 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
You gotta give New Yorkers some sh*t - then they respect you and are even friendly!

Old 06-08-2007, 08:47 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
I've had quite the opposite experience. I'm basing this on the fact that I've lived in NYC my whole life and compared to other places I've been to, I would say people on average are actually nicer and less fake here.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:04 AM

177 posts, read 613,887 times
I have to say...being from Nashville, I was always told "it's so different there." And yes it is. My dad lived in LI & Queens for 15 years. Hates NYC, want no parts ever again. So growing up, that's what I heard. But the first time I went there, Fell in love! SO now, my girlfriend and I plan to move to Brooklyn or Queens.

It's is different. From what I see it's a faster pace of life. People don't really have a lot of time to "lolly-gag". But I've never met anyone who was out-of-the-way rude. Actually, people were in some ways nicer than the people here in Nashville. Anyways...rude people are everywhere...and it also begs to question, are these "tourists" wanting to see "the Rude New Yorker". As if they are some side-show.

I absolutely love your city. Yeah, you may have your cockies, but overall I think people are cool...just can't trust everybody. Can't go around making small talk with some stranger. It is New York. But yeah...can't wait to get there. Hope I don't pick up this "stereotypical" attitude.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:54 AM

62 posts, read 291,609 times
Default NY'ers; Rude towards Rubes? NAH !

The problem is Californians don't know how to approach NY'ers. The following article confirms my own personal experiences as a NY'er in LalaLand and goes a long way towards explaining the 'ifs & whys' of alleged "NY'er Rudeness";

"New Yorkers seem to think the best thing two people can do is talk. Silence is okay when you’re watching a movie (though it might be better punctuated by clever asides), or when you’re asleep (collecting dreams to tell when you awake), but when two or more people find themselves together, it’s better to talk. That’s how we show we’re being friendly. And that’s why we like to talk to strangers—especially if we won’t be with them long, such as in an elevator or on a bank line. This often makes non-New Yorkers think we’re trying to start something more than a conversation.

Once, when I was visiting San Francisco, my friend and I stopped in the street to look something up in her guidebook, and she complained that the book wasn’t very clear. A man who was walking by turned to us and said “Oh, that book’s no good. The one you should get is this,” pulling a guidebook out of his bag to show us. I couldn’t resist checking out my hypothesis, so I asked where he was from. He had just flown in from New York.

After we talked about New York-California differences for a few minutes, the visiting New Yorker suggested that we exchange our guidebook for the one he recommended, so we all went back to the store where my friend had bought her book a few hours before. In the bookstore, our new friend called over his shoulder, “Have you read Garp?” I answered, “No should I?” “Yes,” he said, animatedly. “It’s great!” Then I heard a voice behind us saying, “Oh, is it?” I’ve been thinking of reading that.” I looked around and saw a woman no longer paying attention to us. I asked her where she was from: another New Yorker.

Most non-New Yorkers, finding themselves within hearing range of strangers’ conversation, think it’s nice to pretend they didn’t hear. But many New Yorkers think it’s nice to toss in a relevant comment. Californians are shocked to have strangers butt into their conversations, but they accept the intrusion; they are shocked again if the stranger bows out as suddenly as he butted in.

Complaining gives us a sense of togetherness in adversity
There was something else about our conversation that made it tempting for a New Yorker to chime in: the fact that my friend was complaining. A Californian who visited New York once told me he’d found New Yorkers unfriendly when he’d tried to make casual conversation. I asked what he made conversation about. Well, for example, how nice the weather was. Of course! No New Yorker would start talking to a stranger about the weather—unless it was really bad. We find it most appropriate to make comments to strangers when there’s something to complain about—“Why don’t they do something about this garbage!” “Ever since they changed the schedules, you can’t get a bus!” Complaining gives us a sense of togetherness in adversity. The angry edge is aimed at the impersonal “they” who are always doing things wrong. The person is thus welcomed into a warm little group. Since Californians don’t pick up this distinction between “us” and “them,” they are put off by the hostility, which they feel could be turned on them at any moment.
New Yorkers have lots of ways of being friendly that put non-New Yorkers off, such as the way we ask questions. When we meet someone, we think it’s nice to show interest by asking questions. Often we ask “machine-gun questions”: fast, with an unusually high or low pitch, in a clipped form, and often thrown in right at the end of someone else’s sentence, or even in the middle of it.

One conversation I taped, between a woman from New York (Diane) and a man from Los Angeles (Chad) who had just met, will show what I mean:

Diane: You live in L.A.?

Chad: Yeah.

Diane: Y’visiting here?

Diane: Whaddya do there?

Chad: I work for Disney Prese—Walt Disney.

Diane: You an artist?

Chad: No, no.

Diane: Writer?

Now, anyone can see that something is wrong. Diane is doing all the asking, and Chad is giving minimal, even monosyllabic answers. He’s uncomfortable enough to stumble over the name of his own company. When I played the tape for Chad, he said that he felt under interrogation. But Diane didn’t want to ask all the questions. She was trying to show interest and get Chad talking. She couldn’t understand why he was so unfriendly. But, being a nice person, she kept trying—by doing more of what was putting him off.

The intonation, high pitch, and clipped form of Diane’s questions would have tipped off fellow New Yorkers: “This is a casual question. Answer if you feel like it; otherwise, say something else.” But Chad wasn’t used to questions like that. When someone asks him a question, he feels he has to answer. So all that attention on him seemed pushy and nosy. He was also put off by the speed with which Diane’s questions came at him. People who are not from New York often complain that New Yorkers interrupt them, don’t listen, and don’t give them a chance to talk. Typically, the New Yorker starts talking before the Californian is finished, so the Californian, piqued, stops talking. So who’s interrupting? The New Yorker? Not necessarily. Who said only one person can talk at a time?.

In a really good New York conversation, more than one person is talking a lot of the time. Throughout the conversations I have taped and analyzed, New York listeners punctuate a speaker’s talk with comments, reactions, questions (often asking for the very information that is obviously about to come). None of this makes the New York speaker stop. On the contrary, he talks even more—louder, faster—and has even more fun, because he doesn’t feel he’s in the conversation alone. When a non-New Yorker stops talking at the first sign of participation from the New Yorker, he’s the one who’s creating the interruption, making a conversational bully out of a perfectly well-intentioned cooperative overlapper." (more..)

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties . New York City | PBS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City