U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-31-2010, 05:00 PM
 
544 posts, read 1,416,211 times
Reputation: 349

Advertisements

It's said to be dangerous to walk from one subway car to another while the train is moving, but it seems to me not so dangerous, if you make sure to always have one hand holding a handle, and don't let go of the handle of the previous car until you have grabbed the handle of the next car. I did it a few times. Is this still dangerous? How could I fall this way? Did those who fell and died during riding between cars simply lost footing and fell BECAUSE they didn't hold any handle?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2010, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,051 posts, read 31,811,195 times
Reputation: 10541
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
It's said to be dangerous to walk from one subway car to another while the train is moving, but it seems to me not so dangerous, if you make sure to always have one hand holding a handle, and don't let go of the handle of the previous car until you have grabbed the handle of the next car. I did it a few times. Is this still dangerous? How could I fall this way? Did those who fell and died during riding between cars simply lost footing and fell BECAUSE they didn't hold any handle?
If by chance you've wandered into any other threads with similar topics, then let me say this (once again) as an MTA employee who worked for five and a half years as a conductor:

Totally aside from the fact that it's illegal to walk between cars on a moving train, it's also idiotic. Stupid. Retarded. Insane. Dumb. Am I beginning to make myself clear?

The month of March is about to end, and we've already had more than 35 instances of people being seriously injured or killed because they fell between the cars of a train or went down onto the track bed. I can't quite understand why people have so little respect for great big metal machines that will grind you up like hamburger if you mess with them. But, that's the reality.

Do exactly what you want to do. But when I'm working in a tower somewhere in the system and I hear about yet one more person killed by a train and that person happens to be you, I'm telling you in advance that I'm not going to lose any sleep. At some point, people just have to take responsibility for their own actions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 07:10 PM
 
Location: NYC/Orlando
2,022 posts, read 3,842,704 times
Reputation: 1170
If you're gonna move between cars, I would assume that holding the door of one car while grabbing the door of the other would be the best way to do it, but still could leave room for an accident.

Why do people move between cars anyway? Is there something so incredibly better in the next car that you're going to risk your life to get there.. or is it just the thrill?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
4,472 posts, read 9,024,817 times
Reputation: 4329
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post

Why do people move between cars anyway? Is there something so incredibly better in the next car that you're going to risk your life to get there.. or is it just the thrill?
Sometimes u get in the car and u realize it smells SOOOOOO bad (that happened today). Althought I waited till the next stop since i was wearing heels and didnt want to risk walking between cars.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 07:35 PM
 
Location: NYC & NJ
747 posts, read 2,427,501 times
Reputation: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
If by chance you've wandered into any other threads with similar topics, then let me say this (once again) as an MTA employee who worked for five and a half years as a conductor:

Totally aside from the fact that it's illegal to walk between cars on a moving train, it's also idiotic. Stupid. Retarded. Insane. Dumb. Am I beginning to make myself clear?

The month of March is about to end, and we've already had more than 35 instances of people being seriously injured or killed because they fell between the cars of a train or went down onto the track bed. I can't quite understand why people have so little respect for great big metal machines that will grind you up like hamburger if you mess with them. But, that's the reality.

Do exactly what you want to do. But when I'm working in a tower somewhere in the system and I hear about yet one more person killed by a train and that person happens to be you, I'm telling you in advance that I'm not going to lose any sleep. At some point, people just have to take responsibility for their own actions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,147 posts, read 3,024,334 times
Reputation: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Sometimes u get in the car and u realize it smells SOOOOOO bad (that happened today). Althought I waited till the next stop since i was wearing heels and didnt want to risk walking between cars.
Yea...last thing you want is to be stuck on an express train that smells like ***** when you get on at 125th st & the next stop is 59th
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 08:59 PM
 
544 posts, read 1,416,211 times
Reputation: 349
Or you got on the car and found someone lying on the chair, or on the floor... Or some noisy guitar players/singers with broken voice. They were in car 6, so I walked to the next car, car 7 (while the train was moving), then at the next stop, they finished singing in car 6 and came into car 7, following me all the way
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 09:31 PM
 
Location: NYC & NJ
747 posts, read 2,427,501 times
Reputation: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
Or you got on the car and found someone lying on the chair, or on the floor... Or some noisy guitar players/singers with broken voice. They were in car 6, so I walked to the next car, car 7 (while the train was moving), then at the next stop, they finished singing in car 6 and came into car 7, following me all the way
Then move in the opposite direction (or simply back to car 6)

None of those situations warrants moving while the car is in motion. You can wait til the next stop, whether it's a local or express the next stop is only a few minutes away.

Getting a ticket (or, heaven forbid, falling) is certainly worse than waiting a few minutes to change cars.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,051 posts, read 31,811,195 times
Reputation: 10541
As you can see, anyone can come up with an excuse to walk through cars on a moving train. But, unless your life is being threatened, all they are is excuses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 11:07 PM
 
Location: Nesconset, NY
2,202 posts, read 3,792,014 times
Reputation: 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
If by chance you've wandered into any other threads with similar topics, then let me say this (once again) as an MTA employee who worked for five and a half years as a conductor:

Totally aside from the fact that it's illegal to walk between cars on a moving train, it's also idiotic. Stupid. Retarded. Insane. Dumb. Am I beginning to make myself clear?

The month of March is about to end, and we've already had more than 35 instances of people being seriously injured or killed because they fell between the cars of a train or went down onto the track bed. I can't quite understand why people have so little respect for great big metal machines that will grind you up like hamburger if you mess with them. But, that's the reality.

Do exactly what you want to do. But when I'm working in a tower somewhere in the system and I hear about yet one more person killed by a train and that person happens to be you, I'm telling you in advance that I'm not going to lose any sleep. At some point, people just have to take responsibility for their own actions.
I'm surprised. Are there restrooms in every LIRR car? Then why did the conductor tell me to go to the front third car of the train? Maybe I misunderstood and didn't notice the "do not enter while train is in motion" sign. Anyway, in London and Paris it's okay to walk the train but I'll be sure not to do so on the LIRR. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top