Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 08:39 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,158,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
op was asking about pistol shooting.. shooting a .22 rifle is quite boring even for my wife at an indoor range... not much challange and not much fun. but regardless he was asking about pistol shooting.

as far as new jersey goes its very un-clear about out of staters renting a gun to shoot. one answere i got was it only applys to new jersey residents and you needed a nj drivers licence.

65 bucks seems very high, my old range did require you to come with a member but to shoot a .22 was 5 buck rental for the rifle, 5 bucks to shoot and 5 bucks for a box of ammo .... havent been a member for years so not sure of current rates but im sure they are close.
I know for a fact you don't need to be an NJ res. If that is the case they are not following the rule then. I have friends who went to a shooting range in Jersey as part of one my friends bachelor party events and it was handguns...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 11:18 PM

442 posts, read 1,293,146 times
this is why i stay with a shotgun. of course girls like guns too

Old 04-03-2010, 03:32 AM

105,691 posts, read 107,682,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I know for a fact you don't need to be an NJ res. If that is the case they are not following the rule then. I have friends who went to a shooting range in Jersey as part of one my friends bachelor party events and it was handguns...
i would assume then a new york resident can rent a handgun from the range but not bring their own in with a nyc permit? i seem to remember reading a new yorker with nyc permit would need an out of state firearms id card issued by nj state police to use his own firearms in nj

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-03-2010 at 04:46 AM..

Old 04-03-2010, 07:55 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,158,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would assume then a new york resident can rent a handgun from the range but not bring their own in with a nyc permit? i seem to remember reading a new yorker with nyc permit would need an out of state firearms id card issued by nj state police to use his own firearms in nj
Well I don't know about bringing their own. They rented.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:32 PM

217 posts, read 918,550 times
If you want, pay the money, go through the checks, system, etc. investigations, etc. that take six months, then get your license, then go buy the pistol, get it registered (more fees) and then go shooting at the range on 23rd street.

Yes, all this is a violation of an American citizen's rights, but... it'll be many years before the Heller decision does any good in NYC. Nevertheless, as long as you're a law-abiding citizen of New York City, there is a legal way to procure a handgun and then enjoy recreational shooting - a past time recommended by Thomas Jefferson in his Letters to the State of Virginia. NYPD - Permits. Just remember: if you want a gun in New York City, you are a suspect - of what, I guess it's not known, but you are now a person of interest and will surrender control of your life to people who love easy targets (pun intended). Good luck.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:09 PM

477 posts, read 1,401,441 times
[quote=Otis_Nevins;13579560]If you want, pay the money, go through the checks, system, etc. investigations, etc. that take six months, then get your license, then go buy the pistol, get it registered (more fees) and then go shooting at the range on 23rd street.

quote]

To the OP:

This is all true. I would NOT bring a gun here until you are issued the license, don't take any chances. I believe its a mandatory 3 years in prison for illegal posession of a handgun and there is NO concealed weapon law here, you cannot walk around with the gun even if you are licensed.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:36 PM

19 posts, read 58,860 times
I shoot at Westside Pistol and Rifle Range (20 W. 20th St) and you most definitely need a pistol permit to rent a pistol at the range. Without a pistol license, you can rent a .22 rifle and buy ammo (and I forget, but I think they may also rent a 9mm rifle, i.e., a carbine that shoots the 9mm pistol cartridge). However, shooting a rifle/carbine at 20W20, due to the limited indoor range distance, is going to be little more than a novelty. If you are into long arms, NYC also places restrictions on the types of longarms you can own and keep in the city. However, you could get around this by keeping the longarm's receiver, or part of the reciever, outside the city. For example, if you wished to shoot statewide in highpower rifle competitions and shoot the AR15, you couldn't legally store the whole firearm in NYC as it is on the banned rifle list. The powers that be in NYC consider it an 'assault weapon'.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:32 AM

105,691 posts, read 107,682,511 times
technically nyc has fiddled with the license classes and now your new york city licence may not be valid for being off premises outside of nyc except for hunting. according to what nypd has stated its not valid at most ranges outside the city limits. so far i think i saw only 2 that i know of that got nyc approval outside of nyc .

because you are not issued the old target hunting permit anymore. now its a premises permit with a little note signed by the police commissioner giving you his authorization to go off premises only to shoot at a nyc authorized range or to go hunting when you have a hunting license.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:12 PM

160 posts, read 197,316 times
I swear to God, living in Manhattan had practically turned me into a Republican. Just because of the damned gun laws. (That is a serious statement coming from a native Chicagoan.) No, you cannot shoot a handgun anywhere in the city. You can rent a .22 rifle at Westside, as stated. If you are any good with a gun, that is boring as hell, as you probably know. I am moving to Texas as soon as I sell my apartment. I have a custom Caspian .45 waiting for me. And gun ranges and so on. Yay. I'm a girl too. I like to shoot too. Not people, or animals, just paper. But irregardless, New York City is probably the most unsuitable place on the planet for you and me, recreationally, in that department. I am investigating the possibility of going to a range in Jersey and renting. If you'd like to double up, let me know.

Last edited by sywi; 01-21-2012 at 04:22 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 04:18 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,293,521 times
Welcome to Second Amendment Hell, BXExplorer. The only people who carry guns in this town are cops and robbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: