Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 02:42 PM

49 posts, read 369,325 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'd appreciate your input regarding the areas on the post tittle. I understand that, for the most part, they are all low-income, but I'm wondering if you all feel that they have any shot of improving in the near future. What do you think?

By my understanding, University Heights, while without projects, is riddled with SROs and other low-income/Section 8 buildings. But they are also some pretty decent-looking homes. Not to mention, I know of some working people who live there, and who tell me that the area is improving. I hear that there's a lot of gang activity by Burnside, however.

As for Fordham Manor, I don't know what to think. It could either go up or down. Bedford Park, which is right above it, seems to be declining, and Mt. Hope, which is right below it (I think), seems to be stabilizing a bit--at least as far as I can see. And Mt. Eden, which is right below it but above the decent/developing area of the Concourse (149th--167th), appears to be on the fringe, as though it'll eventually become decent. (I actually live there and think that it's an okay nabe, though nothing to write home about as it has its sketchy areas.)

Now, what I'm wondering is, will Fordham Manor slide or improve. Will it slide as the north appears to be sliding, or will it improve like the Concourse south of Fordham road appears to be improving? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 06:08 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
First, there is gang activity everywhere in University Heights. Just for reference, the BLOOD gang in NYC originated in U.H, on 183rd and Davidson ave.

At it's current state University Heights is real undesirable. Most of the blocks are packed. But not everyone is selling drugs, people sometimes just hang out. There is a drug problem in U.H, just like the sorrounding areas. People aren't dying left and right but it's the hood if there ever is one. The same goes for Morris Heights and Fordham. They can be real intimidating to people not from the area.

As for its future, It's hard to tell. On the one hand, it has improved and it may keep improving. The income levels have risen since 2000, while the white pop has risen (albeit such a tiny number) and the black pop has declined. So you may have continued revitalization with newcomers moving in. But in UH specifically, there isn't much to build on. The building have always been there as the neighborhood wasn't really burned out like Morris Heights where there have been many new developments. So what are you going to change in UH and Fordham? not much. Also as the rents in Manhattan keep rising, the displaced residents may seek out these Bronx hoods to live in. Some of these low-income people bring their illegal activities across the river and join the many already doing the illegal stuff here which makes the situation much worse. So time will tell. It may go up, or it may go down.

At it's current rate...I put these hoods up there with any in the city in terms of poverty and crime. Not easy places to grow up in. Think Wash Heights 1999.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:21 PM

423 posts, read 1,281,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
First, there is gang activity everywhere in University Heights. Just for reference, the BLOOD gang in NYC originated in U.H, on 183rd and Davidson ave.

At it's current state University Heights is real undesirable. Most of the blocks are packed. But not everyone is selling drugs, people sometimes just hang out. There is a drug problem in U.H, just like the sorrounding areas. People aren't dying left and right but it's the hood if there ever is one. The same goes for Morris Heights and Fordham. They can be real intimidating to people not from the area.

As for its future, It's hard to tell. On the one hand, it has improved and it may keep improving. The income levels have risen since 2000, while the white pop has risen (albeit such a tiny number) and the black pop has declined. So you may have continued revitalization with newcomers moving in. But in UH specifically, there isn't much to build on. The building have always been there as the neighborhood wasn't really burned out like Morris Heights where there have been many new developments. So what are you going to change in UH and Fordham? not much. Also as the rents in Manhattan keep rising, the displaced residents may seek out these Bronx hoods to live in. Some of these low-income people bring their illegal activities across the river and join the many already doing the illegal stuff here which makes the situation much worse. So time will tell. It may go up, or it may go down.

At it's current rate...I put these hoods up there with any in the city in terms of poverty and crime. Not easy places to grow up in. Think Wash Heights 1999.
My friend's from Fordham and he got stuck up at 11:45 am today in broad daylight. Put the glocc to his side and everything. =/

Old 04-02-2010, 06:22 PM

Thanks, Mario. That's my issue with the Central Bronx. It's hard to predict what's going to happen.

But now let me ask you, do you regard Fordham in the same light? Fordham, for all it's grittiness, is not as low income as, say, Mt. Hope or East Tremont. I for one know of many people (teachers, cops) who live in the area. Also, surely, if it were so low income I'd doubt their would be a Gap, Best Buy, Sears, or Applebees. But then again, those aren't markers of up-and-coming (or are they?) nabes.

Also, I truly believe that the Concourse will come back, even those blocks past 167th. Maybe not now, but it will happe.

In any event, so what do you think? Will Fordham likely go up or down?

Old 04-02-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
My friend's from Fordham and he got stuck up at 11:45 am today in broad daylight. Put the glocc to his side and everything. =/
Really? Care to tell me in what street?

Old 04-02-2010, 06:37 PM

Ah, it was a facebook status update and he didn't specify what block, but he lives on the Fordham Rd. stop on the 4 train.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:48 PM

What a shame. However, I'd hesistate to make toooo much of that incident, as that could happen just about anywhere. Nonetheless, it still alarms me to hear that considering the time at which it happened.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:02 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Checked the gothamist and some other police blotter sites and see no record /report of an incident like this anywhere in The Bronx today.Such crimes usually show up within an hour or so as " gunpoint robbery".

Old 04-02-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Checked the gothamist and some other police blotter sites and see no record /report of an incident like this anywhere in The Bronx today.Such crimes usually show up within an hour or so as " gunpoint robbery".
I know most "teenagers" my age that have been robbed don't report it.

I know I didn't, it was too much of a shock, and most of my friends didn't either.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:35 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
I think Fordham has potential. But it could go either way honestly. It's cheap as heck and very convenient. Personally I don't feel that unsafe living in Fordham but I'm a grizzled NYC veteran. I can't say I would recommend it for someone who is not pretty street savvy. The housing stock is a little more beat up than what you would find in Wash. Heights for instance but I've seen buildings in Wash Heights that were in very bad shape get fixed up and rented out at much higher rates so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that a lot of those buildings would get rehabbed. It would also help if they provided more express train service into Fordham Road but with all these MTA cuts I don't see that happening any time soon...

I'm not surprised someone would get stuck up early in the day. It would help to have a credible link but it's not totally crazy either. A mugging at gun point only takes a minute or two tops if even and Fordham is a busy area so it would be easy for people not to notice it. But honestly again if your street smart and know how to keep your nose clean and what to avoid you can get by fine there.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-02-2010 at 07:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City