Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 05:17 PM

46 posts, read 425,130 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm in my 30s male with Master's degree and it has been a long time searching for an entry level job as business system analyst (in NYC or NJ) but haven't found it yet. I know there are other people out there searching for similar jobs, i'm wondering how I can find these people to network with, I feel it is a very good approach to find similar people to work together to find a job rather than doing that all alone. Do you guys have any idea where and how I can find these people? by dropping a message here or somewhere else?...The goal is to meet these people in a cafe etc and then try some strategies together to have a better chance to get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 10:30 PM

966 posts, read 2,445,447 times
You might have some luck with meetup.com. All the best...

Old 04-06-2010, 10:35 AM

398 posts, read 698,340 times
check out this website: Greenlight Community. I'm on there (as a past & future New Yorker), if that means anything

Old 03-21-2011, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,798 times
Default Job club

Not sure if your still seeking a job club in NYC? You may have already found something. I am not able to find a good job club. Your doing the right thing by inquiring about job club. Job hunters often come accross things which is not related to their field but someone maybe able to use it.

For example, if your in Business System Analyst (not sure if it's related to IT), it maybe good to look at industry where there are jobs even at bad economy. One thing I can think of is in healthcare. Hospitals, insurance companies and many other healthcare industry need Business System Analyst. Also, healthcare being the focus it's a huge area which requires business sytem analyst skill. They may have their own system but you can always get some training. If your interested in healthcare and IT, try www.himss.org. Figure out who is who and what system is most critical in the industry (ie. SAS). Contacting the manager who has potential to hire is the key. Try to minimize your contact with human resources department. Their job is to screen you out and they often do not know the details of the jobs.

Just a thought. Let me know if you know of any good job clubs near Manhattan area.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:12 PM

46 posts, read 425,130 times
It was three years ago I tried my best to get a job as a healthcare business analyst. I found it impossible getting my foot in the door without work experience in healthcare industries (the same for other corporations) even though I had a master's in IT and Business (business informatics). I tried calling my relatives; some were doctors working in hospitals, to network my way to the IT department. Unfortunately they didn't help or stated we don't know anybody there! I tried to call the hospitals I realized when they don’t know you it is always NO (sorry no position right now, not even if you try to volunteer). It has been a question for me for 3 years, if you have just graduated from college how can you get your first job when all the good jobs with no exceptions demand many years “relevant” work experience?! Wondering if you could answer this question!? Finally I answered myself, people get their first REAL job through networking (as you never can get your first good job in a normal completion) or many lie on their resume. Now imagine If you don't have a good network, or network doesn't work and you are not ready to lie on your resume you end up with nothing, doesn’t look fair but then I ask myself, world is not fair too, unfortunately we got to beat each other to make our way to the top. I‘ll appreciate your comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City