Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 04:35 PM

52 posts, read 217,784 times

Advertisements

It seems there are two sides to this thread... 1) should Rachael teach in the South Bronx, and 2) should Rachael be in the South Bronx (at all).

I taught near there in 2000; elementary school over in Highbridge, 44 Precinct... Teaching Fellows program. I was the first class to go through. Look, Rachael, the South Bronx is what it is. It's better, in my opinion, than Brownsville/East New York. I took a bus to work, and walked a block or two. Never was bothered, really, but was uncomfortable here and there. Hustla is right: everyone will make you as a teacher, and in Spanish neighborhoods that's very positive, and leave you alone, and even respect you. After a while, the kids will know you as Ms. Rachel and the parents will recognise you and look out for you, too. Hustla is also right that you WILL get cat calls and unwanted attention on the street. Ignore it. Just remember not to get too comfortable. Street guys will sense it and take advantage. Stay away from the PJ's. If there is a lot for teachers use it. Bring lunch.

Half your kids will be Spansh, the other African and African-American. 70% of your kids in first grade will want to learn. It goes down 10% a year after that. By fifth grade you are doing classroom management 80% of the time. I used to wake up every morning feeling like I had a hangover, dreading going to work. Some kids will be awful. But there are those kids you will come to love and never forget. And then it's worth it. And after a few years there, you may want to pack it in, and tell your next employer upstate that what you did, and then really teach.

These schools go through new teachers like t-shirts. You're not the first to go in. Won't be the last if you decide to leave. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 805 times
Even though this post is almost 4 years old, the comments are really a bunch of bull and discriminative. Have or do any of you live in that area?? To call it crappy, and crummy and so dangerous is GARBAGE. More individuals are robbed, killed, mugged, and raped in the upper manhattan "ritzy, safe" areas then here in the Morrisania district. I grew up in this area and only left when I relocated to college. It is not crappy it is just like any other area within New York CITY. Over crowded and full of individuals who are at times misjudged. If you have taken the job in the area I'm sure you have come to realize that the posts were a likkle dramatic, the schools are not that bad and you are fine. We as children from this area are always prejudged and misunderstood, given the "destined to fail" label even before we are given a chance to make the first strike. I am currently a PhD and proud at all times of where I come from and what it taught me. Besides "street smarts" since you need that ANYWHERE, I learned to have high self esteem, and to love myself first because many hate us before they know us. I also learned to appreciate my struggle because I was able to survive those tough college, broke for months days secondary to it.
Some of you think before you speak and realize that your word can be hurtful and enraging to others. SMH.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: