Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 08:07 PM

690 posts, read 2,108,905 times

Advertisements

Sorry if someone has already asked this question...I did a search on this topic, but I didn't find anything that answered my question specifically. I'm looking for a job in New York City right now, while living in Little Rock. I already have a plan for my living situation, but it depends on whether or not I'm able to get a job.

I want to get an entry-level accountant job. I'm just now finishing up a bachelor's in accounting this May with a 3.55. The last three years I've been working in the accounting department of a mortgage company doing bank reconciliations and that sort of thing, but it was more of a bank-type job than a job that gave me a lot of real accounting skills. I've never once in my job dealt with a balance sheet or income statement, so I don't know if I can chalk this particular work experience up as "accounting" experience.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if someone could give me some advice about what local companies I have a chance with. I know my GPA/work experience isn't awesome, so I'm not expecting to get a Big 4 job. I'd just like to know the names of some of the other nice accounting firms in NYC.

Oh yeah, and I'll be CPA-exam ready in May, but I'm not one yet. Any advice would be appreciated. Even if you're telling me to dream on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 40,264 times
I work for a Big Four firm. I suggest that you go to the career sections of the Big Four's websites and check out available job openings. I'd also suggest that you look for job openings in all cities, not just NYC. It's a matter of getting your foot in the door and getting experience in the type of accounting you're interested in.

Good luck!

Old 04-03-2010, 06:13 PM

Thanks! The only concern I have is that I'm not quite what a Big 4 firm expects...my GPA is only 3.55 and I've heard the PwC expects close to a 4.0. But I think maybe you're right about getting my foot in the door. Maybe it's dumb to limit myself to one location.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:01 PM

477 posts, read 1,407,197 times
I'm not an accountant so I can't help you with job info, but I see no harm at all in getting your resume out there and seeing what happens. If you land a job, great! If not, maybe something will come up later here, or you might land a great position elsewhere. Good luck!

Old 04-04-2010, 07:49 PM

72 posts, read 214,025 times
There were a lot of layoffs in the past year - year and a half in accounting firms and they have all cut their entry level hiring. If you have some experience I would go with a smaller firm rather than the Big 4. However most firms have probably done their hiring for the upcoming year. The link below is a list of accounting firms that are pre-approved to do work with the City of New York. It is a pretty comprehensive list of firms in NYC and it also gives the size of the firm. Hope this helps.

http://www.comptroller.nyc.gov/BUREA...ES/cpalist.pdf

Old 04-04-2010, 08:45 PM

Thank you! I was wanting something exactly like this list. I'll try to be realistic and not expect to find something for awhile...since people aren't hiring like they used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: