Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:14 PM

228 posts, read 483,251 times

Advertisements

First of all, I hope everything works out for you in the city.

As far as your situation, it sounds like you're stuck where you're at for a while. It doesn't help to be scared, in fact it might attract sketchy people to you. Most criminals can pick up on those subtle feelings, and target people accordingly. It's like how a shark can smell blood from a long ways away.

Using common sense and taking proper precautions will cut any chance of something happening to you dramatically. For one, be alert and know your surroundings. Walk in the road if you have a funny feeling or see a person or people on the sidewalk that look shady. Don't walk around texting people with your cell phone out and head down. One obvious thing would be to not have headphones in when walking home at 2 am ( or anytime after dark). That is how my sister's roomate got mugged roughly 7 blocks north of you. Not only does it make you oblivious to whats going on but it advertises that you have something of value like an Ipod etc.

Self defense: I would highly reccomend (especially for a single female) to carry pepper spray at a minimum. Have it ready in your hand (with your hand in your pocket) with your finger on the trigger. In your other hand you could have your keys ready to not only open your door quickly but to poke someone's eye out if necessary. If you are really feeling sketched out you could always carry a canister of bear spray (if you carry a purse or backpack of some sort because they are quite large). Pepper spray does just that...sprays a little mist of deterent. Bear spray on the other hand lets out a complete fog of peppery haze that can spray up to 30 feet! Technically you could take out a group of 4 guys on the next block if you needed to. I think it's a federal offense to use on a person (since it is meant to take down 1000 pound grizzly bears) but hey, who says you have to stick around to talk to the cops?

It might seem overkill or ridiculous to have to take these measures (the bear spray might be), but when are a single female living in a higher crime area I call it common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 07:58 PM

118 posts, read 443,665 times
I do carry pepper spray... bear spray though, that sounds pretty intense lol. Finger is always on the trigger coming home. I had to laugh at the advice about not walking around here with your headphones on at two in the morning... seriously, anyone who does that almost deserves to mugged just for sheer stupidity. Thanks for the tip about the Bronx- I am using my off time to check out other hoods that aren't as crappy as this one. Luckily I'm not stuck in a lease. Once I have enough dough saved I'm outta here ASAP.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
I really don't think that neighborhood is that bad though. But hey I've lived in this city for a while and I've developed quite the tolerance level. It looks way worse than it actually is. I know the area well because I lived a little further up for close to 15 years.

The PJ's there are tame compared to much rougher ones in the outer boroughs. My biggest issue with it is noise. There are a bunch of schools around there plus City College and it can be very noisy with the kids coming out hanging out, and the train being above ground around there.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:39 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
My cousin's live on Amsterdam and 131...it's safe.
It's Harlem...you can't expect white picket fences! Graffiti? Paris and London have graffiti too....it's part of the urban landscape. It's part of being in the city, in Harlem.

I walked to the 1 train at night around midnight (125th St Station)...and all was quiet. We came back around 6AM on Sunday morning...still quiet.

Just use COMMON sense...as you would anywhere...city or not.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:53 PM

91 posts, read 119,791 times
It is not clear to me how all of this talk about crime statistics and the fact that Harlmenewbie failed to check out the neighborhood day and night (excellent suggestion by the way) could possibly help Harlemnite now that the lease has already been signed.

Re: lack of common sense; perhaps HarlemNewbie was more sheltered, very young or a less experienced mover. Since "it is what it is", information on how to to make the best of the situation; safe routes, etc it seems would be more helpful and less alarming.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:46 AM

118 posts, read 443,665 times
Do you even read these posts? I'm not stuck in a lease.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:23 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemNewbie View Post
Do you even read these posts? I'm not stuck in a lease.
Wow, sounded to me like PAJones was trying to help you out. You may have said you aren't stuck in a lease, but you did indicate that you are "stuck" in another way -- that you don't have enough money to move at the moment and you don't know how long it will take you to save the money.

Am I wrong on that? Maybe I misremembered? Because for sure I am not going to go back and read the whole thread to confirm, esp. after someone says something nice to you and you react like that.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:06 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
HarlemNewbie, people on here are honestly just trying to help you out and give you a better sense or perspective about your neighborhood.

Please don’t be so defensive about the many people on here questioning your common sense, about your research of the neighborhood before you rented the apartment. It’s constructive criticism, learn from it and move on.

There’s no shame in learning the hard way and admitting to it. As time goes on I’m sure your comfort level will increase and your street smarts will grow.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:33 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemNewbie View Post
Plus, I don't even know if my MetroCard works past midnight on the subways and busses. I'm beyond confused lol.

Why wouldn't it work past midnight? I've taken the subway at all hours of the day and night.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:17 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Why wouldn't it work past midnight? I've taken the subway at all hours of the day and night.
If you buy an unlimited weekly card and your week is up, it expires at midnight at the end of a week (I believe). But you can buy another, or use the pay-per-use cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City