U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 07:40 AM

18 posts, read 75,604 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I currently live on the Upper East Side, attend grad school downtown and work in Chelsea. This will all be changing soon, as I will only have two classes left after this semester, and am considering a job offer on Long Island.

I have been thinking about moving out to Brooklyn anyhow, as I am a bit sick of Manhattan. I am wondering, however, the feasibility of living there and commuting to Long Island--specifically, to the Roslyn/Greenvale area. Please note that I know absolutely nothing about Long Island or traffic there or in Brooklyn.

My questions are:
1) Would the commute by car be feasible (< 1 hour each way; keeping in mind I would probably have a flexible schedule and could avoid driving at the most peak times)? About how long on average would it be?

2) Where are the best places to live in Brooklyn that are: a) convenient to highways for the sake of commuting; b) possible to park a car in; c) convenient to subways; d) relatively close to the city as I will still need to come in for school sometimes and to visit friends? (I know I will never find the "perfect" location, but just trying to weigh the various factors.)

3) What are the costs associated with owning a car in Brooklyn? I once lived in DC and commuted to Northern Virginia, so I'm aware of what this type of commute consists of. I saw elsewhere on this forum that I can expect to pay around $2000/year for insurance. I have a 10-year old Nissan Sentra that's paid off, so no car expense other than maintenance. Obviously gas. I believe there would be no tolls on the commute. Anything else?

Thank you, in advance, everyone for your insights!

Eric
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 07:48 AM

203 posts, read 630,490 times
Have you considered Queens or are you set on Brooklyn? I think Roslyn/Greenvale is in the northern part of Long Island so living in Queens, you can hop on the Grand Central or the Long Island Expressway and probably get there relatively quickly. In Brooklyn with the BQE to LIE or the Belt...I don't know, I haven't had good experiences with them.
I live in Queens with a 12 year old Nissan and insurance is about $1000 and no there are no tolls to Long Island. Parking will probably be about $150 to $250 depending on where you live.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:21 AM

477 posts, read 1,340,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewfrojerome View Post
Hi all,

I currently live on the Upper East Side, attend grad school downtown and work in Chelsea. This will all be changing soon, as I will only have two classes left after this semester, and am considering a job offer on Long Island.

I have been thinking about moving out to Brooklyn anyhow, as I am a bit sick of Manhattan. I am wondering, however, the feasibility of living there and commuting to Long Island--specifically, to the Roslyn/Greenvale area. Please note that I know absolutely nothing about Long Island or traffic there or in Brooklyn.

My questions are:
1) Would the commute by car be feasible (< 1 hour each way; keeping in mind I would probably have a flexible schedule and could avoid driving at the most peak times)? About how long on average would it be?

2) Where are the best places to live in Brooklyn that are: a) convenient to highways for the sake of commuting; b) possible to park a car in; c) convenient to subways; d) relatively close to the city as I will still need to come in for school sometimes and to visit friends? (I know I will never find the "perfect" location, but just trying to weigh the various factors.)

3) What are the costs associated with owning a car in Brooklyn? I once lived in DC and commuted to Northern Virginia, so I'm aware of what this type of commute consists of. I saw elsewhere on this forum that I can expect to pay around $2000/year for insurance. I have a 10-year old Nissan Sentra that's paid off, so no car expense other than maintenance. Obviously gas. I believe there would be no tolls on the commute. Anything else?

Thank you, in advance, everyone for your insights!

Eric
I make an opposite commute from you, and I can't tell you about the traffic on the LIE, but the Belt is a nightmare. However, if you can avoid traveling during peak times, the distance isn't so bad and you will have a better experience than I do. Last week when school was out and there were less cars on the road I made it door to door in 1 hour. During normal times, especially when it rains, it has taken me 2+ hours.

As far as the car insurance goes, I don't know anyone that pays less than $1800 for car insurance in Brooklyn even with a car that has minimal insurance. It also depends on where you live in Brooklyn. One friend who lived in park slope with an old car was paying $2500 a year, and he couldn't understand why, he also had no tickets and no accidents. Brooklyn is a hot spot for insurance fraud and stolen cars, so this adds to premiums unfortunatly.

I think it can be done, but honestly the commute can be exhausting.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:39 AM

203 posts, read 630,490 times
Wow, $1800 minimum for car insurance in BK...crazy...I have a 12 year old car and I have the bare minimum in insurance coverage...no tickets, no accidents and I pay a bit over $1000...but I live in Queens.
I make the commute to Long Island from Queens but a lot farther into Long Island. I would say that Roslyn is not too far and you can make it there in a 1/2 hour from Queens...(Forest Hills, Rego Park, Kew Gardens). I really think that Queens will be better, I use to have to take the Belt to the Southern State and the Cross Island/Meadow Brook to go North (to Roslyn) are usually pretty packed. I guess if you're going during non peak hours it may be better but I don't know. The above areas in Queens would make your commute a lot better...you only have 2 more classes downtown anyways. Even Astoria should be alright, its right on the GCP.
It seems like everyone thinks its either manhattan or brooklyn?

Old 04-08-2010, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 14,213 times
a) convenient to highways for the sake of commuting; b) possible to park a car in; c) convenient to subways; d) relatively close to the city

Prospect Heights and Fort Greene fit the bill

As for additional car costs, you may find you need a garage if street parking is an issue (e.g. scarcity of spots, alternate side rules are a hassle for you). garage prices vary, but in neighborhoods like PH and FG, you're probably looking at around $250/month.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:18 PM

747 posts, read 2,559,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1616 View Post
As far as the car insurance goes, I don't know anyone that pays less than $1800 for car insurance in Brooklyn even with a car that has minimal insurance. It also depends on where you live in Brooklyn. One friend who lived in park slope with an old car was paying $2500 a year, and he couldn't understand why, he also had no tickets and no accidents. Brooklyn is a hot spot for insurance fraud and stolen cars, so this adds to premiums unfortunatly.
I don't know how people can generalize about auto insurance premiums. There are so many factors that go into a quote that you guys could easily be comparing apples to oranges. That being said, I still find it hard to believe 'everyone' in Brooklyn is paying the same for minimal coverage as I was paying for full coverage in Manhattan.

Not to mention, minimal coverage would be just liability (and technically UI as well). By definition, the probability of theft is irrelevant to someone seeking/paying only liability coverage.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:36 PM

104 posts, read 362,037 times
I currently live in Fort Greene/Clinton Hills Bklyn and I commute to LI everyday for work. There are several ways to get there easily and fast.

1. The LIRR. Atlantic Terminal has been totally revamped and its easily accessible to all of the trains that run in Brooklyn. I take it twice a week to work (Melville, LI).

2. Drive. The BQE is 5 blocks from my home and runs along most of Downtown Bklyn so its easy to hop on. After 2.7 miles you switch to the LIE. It is a "reverse" commute so the going is pretty good and takes me about 45 mins int he morning. Coming home the majority of traffic I face is not on the LIE but the BQE as everyone and their Mom seems to be going to Bklyn at the end of the day. Other than that the commute isnt bad at all especially if you mix it up with the LIRR a few days a week.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:54 PM

477 posts, read 1,340,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
I don't know how people can generalize about auto insurance premiums. There are so many factors that go into a quote that you guys could easily be comparing apples to oranges. That being said, I still find it hard to believe 'everyone' in Brooklyn is paying the same for minimal coverage as I was paying for full coverage in Manhattan.

Not to mention, minimal coverage would be just liability (and technically UI as well). By definition, the probability of theft is irrelevant to someone seeking/paying only liability coverage.
for people under the age of 35 that's probably what they will pay. Even if the idea of theft is irrelevant to the person it's not to the insurance company. The fact that fraud is a big problem in Brooklyn with staged accidents and people draining the insurance companies for $ based on fake injuries is relevant.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:01 PM

18 posts, read 75,604 times
Thank you for your responses, everyone. It sounds like Queens is a much better option than Brooklyn, but it's probably not feasible for me, as I also spend a lot of time in downtown Manhattan. It also sounds like the reverse commute by car is feasible, in that it's typically 45 minutes or less (BklynGirl, if you are going to Melville, which is about 10 miles farther than I would be going, then I'm guess my commute would be 15 minutes less than yours). I guess the best thing to do is borrow a car and drive it myself one day.

As for insurance, I guess it doesn't make much sense to speculate but rather to call the auto insurance company. I guess minimal insurance (or none other than liability) would be best--why pay $2k/year to insure a $4k car?

Old 04-08-2010, 05:50 PM

104 posts, read 362,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewfrojerome View Post
Thank you for your responses, everyone. It sounds like Queens is a much better option than Brooklyn, but it's probably not feasible for me, as I also spend a lot of time in downtown Manhattan. It also sounds like the reverse commute by car is feasible, in that it's typically 45 minutes or less (BklynGirl, if you are going to Melville, which is about 10 miles farther than I would be going, then I'm guess my commute would be 15 minutes less than yours). I guess the best thing to do is borrow a car and drive it myself one day.

As for insurance, I guess it doesn't make much sense to speculate but rather to call the auto insurance company. I guess minimal insurance (or none other than liability) would be best--why pay $2k/year to insure a $4k car?
Yep Bingo, I pass your exit on the way to work (you should be getting off around exits 37-40 on the LIE) so thats cutting down a good 10-15 mins from my commute (I like to go 85mph after Exit 40 in the mornings so for ME its more like 5 mins!). Beleive me it's nothing to get to exit 37 by car from downtown Bklyn and since your in lower Manhattan alot, downtown Bklyn is a happy medium for you. Great commute to Wall Street and its just a hop to the BQE. Defintely run a "test drive" to Long Island one day to see if you can handle it. I did and I was shocked at how fast the drive was (and I'm going to exit 49!). Also check to see if the LIRR stops near your new job, its always good to have another option to get to work.

BTW I pay $2k a year on insurance, but I have never owned a car before, hopefully it will go down. I also rent a parking space (outdoors) for $150. Its worth every dime, as the area is so congested, finding a parking spot on the street can really become a pain. In downtown Bklyn parking spaces go anywhere from $200 (indoors) to $150. At least in the CLinton Hill / Ft Green area. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>