Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:09 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times

Advertisements

I need to go to 65 Court St. to the Department of Ed headquarters. I have to be there by about 8:30am. I live in central Nassau county, so I'm not really sure which way would be fastest. Here are my options. Let me know which is best. If you have any other ways, let me know.

One possibility is taking the Grand central pkwy to Astoria, parking, and taking the subway all the way to downtown Brooklyn. That way, I won't have problems finding parking, and won't have to possibly pay to park.

The other is to drive to Court St and spend probably forever finding parking. I may end up having to pay for it, which i don't want to since it isn't that cheap.

Any advice? Which would be faster you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 10:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Take the LIRR to Atlantic Avenue. From there, you can transfer to the 2,3,4 or 5 trains, all of which stop at Court Street (you'll need to board a Manhattan-bound train). 65 Court is right there, off Livingston!

As you can see, I personally wouldn't recommend driving, since having to negotiate downtown Brooklyn during the morning rush hour is a strategy best avoided.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
As you can see, I personally wouldn't recommend driving, since having to negotiate downtown Brooklyn during the morning rush hour is a strategy best avoided.
sage advice... leave the car at home

Old 04-08-2010, 10:45 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
The thing is, it's going to be like $20 round trip on the LIRR. It's a good idea, but I don't think I want to pay the outrageous fare increases. What's the second best option you think?

Old 04-08-2010, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 7,771 times
The LIRR is insane but it's still your best bet

Old 04-08-2010, 12:22 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I need to go to 65 Court St. to the Department of Ed headquarters. I have to be there by about 8:30am. I live in central Nassau county, so I'm not really sure which way would be fastest. Here are my options. Let me know which is best. If you have any other ways, let me know.

One possibility is taking the Grand central pkwy to Astoria, parking, and taking the subway all the way to downtown Brooklyn. That way, I won't have problems finding parking, and won't have to possibly pay to park.

The other is to drive to Court St and spend probably forever finding parking. I may end up having to pay for it, which i don't want to since it isn't that cheap.

Any advice? Which would be faster you think?
drive to the 4 train at utica avenue, then take the train downtown. you'll avoid traffic if you take linden blvd to remsen ave to utica avenue.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-08-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The thing is, it's going to be like $20 round trip on the LIRR. It's a good idea, but I don't think I want to pay the outrageous fare increases. What's the second best option you think?
LIRR round trip peak - $21.50 ($18.50 if you're returning off-peak) ((also assuming you're traveling out of zone 7, zone 4 will be cheaper))
Metrocard 2 trips - $4.50

Total = $26

well worth it in my opinion once you add up gas, aggravation, parking, aggravation...

Old 04-08-2010, 04:04 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
Total = $26

well worth it in my opinion once you add up gas, aggravation, parking, aggravation...
I was about to say the same thing.

By the way, Rachael, as regards fare increases...I'm amazed that people love to bring this up in regard to trains. But for some reason, when gas prices and insurance rates go up, you don't hear anyone yelling about increases. (I guess the secret is in that word, "fare." People will pay through the nose for anything so long as it isn't called a fare increase).

Old 04-08-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I was about to say the same thing.

By the way, Rachael, as regards fare increases...I'm amazed that people love to bring this up in regard to trains. But for some reason, when gas prices and insurance rates go up, you don't hear anyone yelling about increases. (I guess the secret is in that word, "fare." People will pay through the nose for anything so long as it isn't called a fare increase).
if you were fredalina314x, i'd give you a hug... everyone ******* about the subway/train prices going up... show me something that hasn't gone up... show me the cost of alternative modes of transportation that havent gone up...

Old 04-08-2010, 05:31 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Rachel, I've made this trip a number of times from Nassau County. Take the LIRR and then the subway. It's a short ride and the Bd of Ed is right there when you get out of the subway station. I am surprised you haven't been there before!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City