Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 45,517 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I are looking to save a dog's life by adopting from a kill shelter. I have adopted before from North Shore in Long Island (no-kill shelter), but I believe that animals have a lower survival chance in a kill shelter.

We already have a 5-year-old female dog and we are looking to help another one. I've tried googleing kill shelters in NYC, but keep finding a list of no-kill shelters.

Anyone knows any kill shelters in NYC or NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 01:35 PM

31 posts, read 96,168 times
Not completely sure but doesn't the ASPCA put them down after a certain amount of time? There is a vet in Brooklyn that is getting filled to capsity with animals left at their door step. They will not put them down but do not know what to do anymore. If interested send me a direct message and I will try to find out for you.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:47 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,927,870 times
I think Animal Care & Control put them down after a certain time. I have been looking to adopt myself but they only have mostly pit bulls which I am not a fan of around my son.

New York Animal Care&Control ( AC&C )- the largest pet adoption organization in New York City. Dogs, cats, puppies, kittens and rabbits available for adoption in NYC, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Staten Island.

You can also check Bide-a-wee. But they also are non kill...

http://www.bideawee.org/index.php

Last edited by ShayLove; 04-09-2010 at 12:26 PM..

Old 04-09-2010, 02:05 PM

5 posts, read 107,610 times
The AC&C is definitely a place to go, especially if you would be open to adopting a pit bull mix. The survival for those dogs is very low in city pounds.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 107,610 times
ShayLove, I just wanted to say that pit bulls are not bad dogs. They are extremely loyal, and unfotunately, that means they can be trained by bad owners to act in a bad way. I adopted a pit bull from the pound. He is the sweetest dog. He sleeps right next to me. He doesn't bother my guinea pigs and will get off the bed for them. Pitbulls, as a breed, were the number one dog in America until they got their bad rep.

If you want to learn more about them, go here:
Pit Bull Rescue Central

Old 04-09-2010, 02:33 PM

37 posts, read 167,150 times
Not to discourage you, but I adopted some cats from the ACC years ago that had feline distemper. They were young cats and the shelter claimed they did testing + gave vaccinations before sending the animals home, but we switched the cats twice (we had to put the infected ones down) and ALL of them had it. It's a highly infectious disease and I'm assuming that proper veterinary care was not given to any of the animals in there at the time. If I'd had other cats in my home at that time, I would have been really worried. We ended up getting a cat from the ASPCA (which, btw, does put down animals, last time I checked), and avoided the ACC when adding other pets to the family in later years.

It's great to rescue animals from high-kill shelters, but I learned my lesson. If you get a dog from there, I'd advise getting him checked out at your normal vet (not the ACC) asap, and keeping your dog separate from the new one until you are sure the dog is healthy.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:50 AM

3 posts, read 46,059 times
Um, I and many people I know have had very positive experiences adopting and fostering from the ACC in NYC. I think it's weird to discourage people from going there because you had a bad experience. Things happen; infections and diseases. Yes, obviously get your poor newly adopted animal checked before exposing them. These animals have bee through hell and back, most of them, and it's common sense to be wary. But do not be discouraged, save their lives! They are so sad and scared and they need you!!! I fostered a pitbull mix on the euth list that my sister now has and she is such perfection; a much better, safer, kinder, more loyal dog than my golden retriever (who i love anyway. my ex boyfriend bought him. he has some aggression issues actually. the pitbull does not.). education is very important and rarely focused on as far as pitbulls go. the media is not exactly a relaible source of information, as much as that might come as a surprise to some.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 31,729 times
Unhappy Seven Year Old Red Nose Pitbull NEED HELP ASAP

I have to put my dog to sleep if I cant find an owner if anyone has any advice please let me know she is a very gorgeous dog but because she doesnt like load noises and other cats and dogs. I am unable to keep her in my Aunt's own house. I have to get rid of her by the end of the week she is brown with a white spot this is killing me if anyone can help or have any ideas please let me know 917 436 8756 John.
She is not good with people fighting loud noises and other animals she was fine when she leaved with just me and my girlfriend. She would sleep at the bed with me very loving dog I can't have her sleeping in the cold please any adive or if you would like to adopt let me know she would be perfect for 1 or 2 people with no kids or other animals. Shes is only about 25 pounds.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,206 times
Many no-kill shelters pull animals from ACC, so you're indirectly saving a life if you adopt from them, too.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:25 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,206 times
Also look at this facebook page for dogs on ACC "death row": https://www.facebook.com/Urgentdeathrowdogs

But be aware that a lot of these dogs probably have pretty serious health and/or behavior problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City