U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:08 AM

8,747 posts, read 17,621,261 times

Advertisements

I rarely see the negative side actually. My point is simple..the Bronx is the worst in just about every health category, and much of it has to do with the prevalance of fast food joints and cheap sugar laden beverages like soda. I would be equally unhappy if Hardees decided it wanted to open up 35 stores in the Bronx. Sure it provides some jobs and makes news, but is it GOOD for the Bronx and its residents considering their current health state? The answer is NO. This Bronx soda is no different...it makes news, and will bring a few jobs, but supporting and promoting it to Bronx residents only serves to fatten the owner's pockets, and make the Bronx's residents' health worse, not better.

But who cares about health and reality...it's called Bronx Pop so we should support it and love it right? 10 cases for every resident per week! Yay! Thank you Ruben Diaz...first you kill the Armory deal, so there are NO jobs or services for anyone, then you promote Bronx soda to the borough with the worst health, stricken with the highest obesity rates and diabetes! Great job Ruben!

Some may think I am reading too much into it, and its just soda, but it's no different than asking someone who lost both their parents from lung cancer due to cigarettes whether they feel the new "Bronx cigarettes" (hypothetically speaking) is cool and not a big deal. The Bronx does not need more soda drinking, and we certainly don't need the Bronx Borough President pushing it to kids and residents either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 12:54 PM

16,217 posts, read 21,752,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with a brand of soda. I congratulate them for being entreprenuers. That being said, the Bronx has the highest obesity rates, highest diabetes rates, worst health, and on and on. And so of all the things in the world to exploit in the Bronx..you choose soda?

I get that Brooklyn has a beer, but Brooklyn isn't synonymous with excessive drinking, drunkeness, or plagued by an overabundance of alcoholic problems anymore than anywhere else. The Bronx has serious health problems, and soda is a prime cause. So how exactly does the Bronx Borough President "fight" the health problems of the Bronx, and also promote soda drinking? This is yet another example of his sheer incompetence and pandering for votes.

The Bronx Borough President will now be marketing soda directly to kids, making the Bronx's residents in WORSE health, not better. Ruben Diaz trying to battle the health problems of the borough? What a joke. The soda concept is cute until you actually know what it does to people..cigarettes used to be glamorous in the movies..but what did it do to people?
I hear what you saying dude about health, but hey other boroughs has its problem to like Manhattan having the high rate of HIV then any where else in the country or Brooklyn for being the fatest city in America or used to be for that matter. Back to topic, there is postive and negatives for having a Bronx pop, but since society sees the Bronx negatively from the NY Yankees constinently winning to Bronx themed soda pop, people will always look at the Bronx at a negative way. Now with this soda, oh its too sweet no wonder Bronx has alot of diabetes and cancer. I really wish it was a Bronx themed beer created by some non native hipster! Sobroguy you should hope this soda is made with natural sugar with no corn syrup and citrus and cost 2.50 a bottle so that the average Bronx youth wont be able to afford it!

Old 04-16-2010, 06:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 24,220,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with a brand of soda. I congratulate them for being entreprenuers. That being said, the Bronx has the highest obesity rates, highest diabetes rates, worst health, and on and on. And so of all the things in the world to exploit in the Bronx..you choose soda?

I get that Brooklyn has a beer, but Brooklyn isn't synonymous with excessive drinking, drunkeness, or plagued by an overabundance of alcoholic problems anymore than anywhere else. The Bronx has serious health problems, and soda is a prime cause. So how exactly does the Bronx Borough President "fight" the health problems of the Bronx, and also promote soda drinking? This is yet another example of his sheer incompetence and pandering for votes.

The Bronx Borough President will now be marketing soda directly to kids, making the Bronx's residents in WORSE health, not better. Ruben Diaz trying to battle the health problems of the borough? What a joke. The soda concept is cute until you actually know what it does to people..cigarettes used to be glamorous in the movies..but what did it do to people?
I get what your saying but I honestly don't think these guys were trying to be exploitative. They were just trying to recreate an old school soda-shop vibe. They probably grew up drinking soda shop sodas. I really think your overanalyzing this one SoBro.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,594 times
Gime me a break this is still America the home of free correct. I think its great that thease guys got this going in a time when most people are looking hand outs and not hand ups what the matter with you people are you a bunch liberal jreks that think if people work hard and make it that they should have to give what they worked so hard for just to give it to some one who feels they should get it because they feel that they have it coming and as far as it beinng bad for you the products contains natural flavors made with cane sugar. It is low on sodium with no caffeine. and lets be real anyting you over do can be bad for you. I think its great that they feel so proud of their Bronx routes and put that on on their product it shows that there are good things that can come out of the Bronx. Bronx Pop the next Bronx Tale.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:52 PM

210 posts, read 162,270 times
Ive never heard anyone here say 'pop' LoL aint that a midwestern term ?

Old 04-26-2010, 01:37 PM

4,510 posts, read 9,249,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BX-ALBO View Post
Ive never heard anyone here say 'pop' LoL aint that a midwestern term ?
No it is a Northern term and people from the midwest say it too, I think

Old 05-24-2010, 10:20 AM

56 posts, read 407,094 times
is bronx pop kosher?

Old 05-24-2010, 06:19 PM

16,217 posts, read 21,752,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTA6TRAIN View Post
is bronx pop kosher?
I dont think so, well it would have been kosher if Bronx pop was sold in Morrisania and Crotona sections of the Bronx 60 years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: